Random Thoughts 18: The Year of Fire

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Midday nap was baller after the last couple of days! So nice to be able to charge travel time for working hours.

Reactions: NWICY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That would be fairly rare. It’s most likely an infection or from minor trauma from using a Q-tip wrong. Was the blood dry or wet on the Q-tip, how far in was it, and how much?

I’m sure your primary did a thorough history but did you fly or go swimming before it happened? Sometimes pressure changes can cause it. I’m assuming it hasn’t continued?

He thinks I have pulsatile tinnitus. Did not go swimming of flying befor this happened. He wants me to see and ENT first. ENT office says I need an appointment with the Audiologist first. First available appointment with an audiologist is May 17. BP is like 124/68 plus I excercise 5 days a week.

I've used a Q-tip for 58+ years. I grew up on a farm so I dealt with a lot of debris in my life, so I think I may know little about using a Q-Tip the proper way. Plus he found nothing that would suggest an infection or trauma when he check them. Right now typing this, I have no pulsing in my ear. It's really weird. When I went to bed last night it went away. This morning it started back up.

• Friendly
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
He thinks I have pulsatile tinnitus. Did not go swimming of flying befor this happened. He wants me to see and ENT first. ENT office says I need an appointment with the Audiologist first. First available appointment with an audiologist is May 17. BP is like 124/68 plus I excercise 5 days a week.

I've used a Q-tip for 58+ years. I grew up on a farm so I dealt with a lot of debris in my life, so I think I may know little about using a Q-Tip the proper way. Plus he found nothing that would suggest an infection or trauma when he check them. Right now typing this, I have no pulsing in my ear. It's really weird. When I went to bed last night it went away. This morning it started back up.
Huh, blood in the ear canal isn’t regularly a symptom of PT which in and of itself is a bit rare. Is the pulsing aligning with your heartbeat or coming after exercise that increased your heart rate? That’s usually a good indicator of PT.

Btw wasn’t implying you didn’t know how to use a Q-tip just that most people actually don’t and we get issues with that as an underlying cause of ear related issues all the time.

Also interesting that when you went to bed it went away, did it start back up in bed or once you were up moving.

Apologies for asking so many questions, you obv don’t owe me any answers or need to share info publicly like this. Just an interesting presentation.

• Informative

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Huh, blood in the ear canal isn’t regularly a symptom of PT which in and of itself is a bit rare. Is the pulsing aligning with your heartbeat or coming after exercise that increased your heart rate? That’s usually a good indicator of PT.

Btw wasn’t implying you didn’t know how to use a Q-tip just that most people actually don’t and we get issues with that as an underlying cause of ear related issues all the time.

Also interesting that when you went to bed it went away, did it start back up in bed or once you were up moving.

Apologies for asking so many questions, you obv don’t owe me any answers or need to share info publicly like this. Just an interesting presentation.

Like I said the Dr is stumped. The pulse is aligning with my heart beat, thus he thought it might have been some sort of anuerysm. One of the questions he did ask was what it was like laying down. This morning it started up again. Just had a physical and blood work the end of January and nothing was out of the ordinary. Ear canals were fine. I can hear fine just the overtone of the pulsing in left ear.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Like I said the Dr is stumped. The pulse is aligning with my heart beat, thus he thought it might have been some sort of anuerysm. One of the questions he did ask was what it was like laying down. This morning it started up again. Just had a physical and blood work the end of January and nothing was out of the ordinary. Ear canals were fine. I can hear fine just the overtone of the pulsing in left ear.
Yeah the pulse aligning is good indicator of PT or an aneurysm. You have a good PCP it sounds like, very thorough.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
KC sorry I will miss your cupcakes tonight. hope its an awesome crowd and game. btw I'm joining the Papa Lew look alike contest. Not quite to pony tail yet but same color:cool:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Headed to the Dr to see if I have a perforated ear drum or not.
I perforated an ear drum during my bachelor party weekend. Also almost died on the same weekend so probably marriage saved me from myself. blood on the pillow was the telltale sign as well as the pain. antibiotics took care of it. glad you have a diagnosis.

• Friendly
Reactions: cycloner29

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
KC sorry I will miss your cupcakes tonight. hope its an awesome crowd and game. btw I'm joining the Papa Lew look alike contest. Not quite to pony tail yet but same color:cool:
Pics or I won't believe you!

And it's brownies, not cupcakes. Cupcakes are too hard to smuggle!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I've had some brief episodes of pulsating tinnitus but fortunately if I laid on the opposite side it lessened and it went away in a few days.

• Informative
Reactions: cycloner29

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
On the heels of the talk here about people asking you to reach something for them, it happened in the locker room at the gym today. Different though, old guy had dropped his keys and asked me if I could grab them for him since he had trouble reaching to the floor. So, old man me helped out my fellow old guy.