Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Things are good. We had an anniversary trip to Switzerland, Italy, and some other European country planned for next month so we're bummed that we won't be going.

How have you been?

We have a Switzerland/Czech Republic scheduled for late August. I really hope it's safe to go by then.

Reactions: VikesFan22

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Could have been a worse bounce. Had once bounce off the boys about 10 yeard ago when I was catching my cousin at his house. Wasnt overly pleasant
Way back in my senior year of high school for some reason I was at our high school baseball game. One of the guys was going to have to go in to pitch and needed to warm up so he tossed me a catchers mitt and asked me to catch him. When that first pitch came in I was wondering what I had gotten myself into. I had never caught a ball coming at me so fast and thrown so hard. Fortunately I made it through it without missing a single pitch. Of course it helped that he was a pretty good pitcher so they were all on target.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Worst i saw was a guy get hit in the nuts after a perfect ricochet off an L screen.
I was playing catcher for our company slow-pitch softball team. Our left fielder had a gun for an arm, and threw to home plate as an opposing player was rounding 3rd. The ball one hopped to me, but with the spin he put on the ball, the trajectory was lower than I expected, and it came to eat. It hit me square -- thought my whole package got ripped off. The ump was this old black gentleman. He looks at me and says, "You can go ahead and grab em, son."

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I think I've eaten more toast the last few weeks than I had in the last year due to baking bread. There's just something about having your own fresh baked bread.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I was playing catcher for our company slow-pitch softball team. Our left fielder had a gun for an arm, and threw to home plate as an opposing player was rounding 3rd. The ball one hopped to me, but with the spin he put on the ball, the trajectory was lower than I expected, and it came to eat. It hit me square -- thought my whole package got ripped off. The ump was this old black gentleman. He looks at me and says, "You can go ahead and grab em, son."
I wish I could give this both a thumbs down and a funny

Reactions: oldman

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
After some quick math that's like 17 margaritas. If there's no ice I wonder how long that would last in the fridge. I would think it would last a while being that it is mainly liquor and lime juice.
At first I was going to suggest you freeze some but I’m not sure the alcohol would actually freeze. It’s suppose to be upper 70s here later this week . Slushy margarita would be good then.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My recipe has always been use lukewarm water, not hot, put in with yeast and bit of sugar, let sit for 10. Pretty sure that's just what proofing the yeast is.

That is what my research said, but this batch of bread seemed to turn out fairly good. I have quick yeast, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. All that was there. A small store that I used to get lunches at (where @cmjh10 does/did at times) had 5 jars of yeast on the shelf, but no TP or bread flour.

I hope these TP hoarders get some bad TP that gives them hemorrhoids or something. Not being able to pick up one package is getting old, we are grinding through out supply and the wife says online is middle of May for the really cheap stuff, and I know there is no way we make that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
After some quick math that's like 17 margaritas. If there's no ice I wonder how long that would last in the fridge. I would think it would last a while being that it is mainly liquor and lime juice.

Freeze it and it will last a very long time. Should be diluted down enough that it should freeze ok.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Week 3 of homeschool starts today, we might lose a soldier this morning to friendly fire. If you hear anything on the news tonight in eastern Iowa, you’ll know what happened.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Two random thoughts:

1) I wish my local mexican joint sold to-go margaritas in something smaller than a half gallon container. That's a lot of margarita for a) straight margarita with no ice, b) one person to drink by themselves (especially when I don't drink that much).

2) Got into a debate at work on Friday if the price we got for hand sanitizer was price gouging. It was $30/gallon but it came in 300 gallon totes.

Mexican place here in Ames is selling margs for $60/gallon!

I always ask tell them "light on the ice" when I order a margarita anywhere. Most of the time I get it that way and still get a full glass of margarita. But then again, I'm one to drink more and talk less, hence I can finish one pretty darn quick and don't have to worry about the ice melting all the way.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Week 3 of homeschool starts today, we might lose a soldier this morning to friendly fire. If you hear anything on the news tonight in eastern Iowa, you’ll know what happened.
Good luck to all of you! If you need a pen pal to fulfill some type of requirement, let me know.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Mexican place here in Ames is selling margs for $60/gallon!

I always ask tell them "light on the ice" when I order a margarita anywhere. Most of the time I get it that way and still get a full glass of margarita. But then again, I'm one to drink more and talk less, hence I can finish one pretty darn quick and don't have to worry about the ice melting all the way.

In college I was not one to get into a drinking contest with, now I'm the first to tap out. I hardly ever drink.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
How old would a kid have to be for you to let him be at home by themselves with school closed?
We went to Fort Lauderdale 3 years ago and left our 15 year old home by himself. We did have a daughter and son at ISU at the time so they did daily check-ins with him and stopped in on him.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

toddler learned the phrase "******* Christ" this morning from Mommy losing her cool at Monday morning password problems. Apparently caused by VPN and solution is to try going to the office to change password for a stronger connection or fast syncing, IDK. And person I got on the phone I could seriously only catch every third word. Also did I know my computer OS stopped being supported 2+ months ago, yeah I did and I've been saying that for a while but new computer didn't get started til late Feb and then everything has gone all to pot on that. I am CHIPPER this Monday morning.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Worst i saw was a guy get hit in the nuts after a perfect ricochet off an L screen.

Reminds me of a little game roughly 25 years ago...kid on the other team was on deck iirc and smoked a coach on the side of the head while warming up. Either that on deck circle was in a bad spot or the coach wasn't paying attention. I think he was fine but got carted off in an ambulance.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
toddler learned the phrase "******* Christ" this morning from Mommy losing her cool at Monday morning password problems. Apparently caused by VPN and solution is to try going to the office to change password for a stronger connection or fast syncing, IDK. And person I got on the phone I could seriously only catch every third word. Also did I know my computer OS stopped being supported 2+ months ago, yeah I did and I've been saying that for a while but new computer didn't get started til late Feb and then everything has gone all to pot on that. I am CHIPPER this Monday morning.
Your work laptop is out of support? We have people having issues with passwords on occasion. They will do a ctrl,alt, delete and change their password but not be on the VPN at the time so it doesn't sync up with the domain server.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Your work laptop is out of support? We have people having issues with passwords on occasion. They will do a ctrl,alt, delete and change their password but not be on the VPN at the time so it doesn't sync up with the domain server.

It's Win 7. From what I gathered they had like 40 of us they were trying to upgrade. IDK, not like it was a surprise that it was going to stop being supported by Microsoft soon.

I wonder if I was on the VPN when I tried last week, this morning it wouldn't let me logon to the VPN at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.