3/4 C enriched corn meal
3/4 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk (whole milk)
1/4 C vegetable oil
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400. Grease 9x13 pan.
Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil & eggs, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 min or until light golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This bread thing is a lot harder than it appears and they make it out to be. Just reading now that my water needs to between 105 and 110. I know our water heater cranks it higher than that. First problem. Second, I just found out that I'm supposed to let the yeast, water, sugar sit for 10 minutes; another screw up on my part. Why the dough is not rising well enough.

Well, this batch should be ok, but I now have a couple improvements for the next batch. Wife found me some bread flour, because I know that this batch wipes out what i have.

Wonder if I do this again when the 'rona is over with.
The recipe I use from Gold Medal says to use water 120-130. Your yeast is mixed in with some flour, salt and sugar. Then you add the water and combine. Then after a couple minutes you add more flour until your dough forms. I haven't had a problem with it rising.

Bread.jpg

Reactions: oldman

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Bread flour is pretty widely available now. It definitely also makes a noticeable difference when compared to AP
I haven't seen bread flour at my grocery store for the last two weeks. Fortunately I picked up a couple bags before things got crazy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Caught for my daughter. Emergency pitcher last year but looking like she may be #1 this year. Threw a stinking drop on me that hit one ankle and ricocheted into my other. So now I have two bad ones

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Caught for my daughter. Emergency pitcher last year but looking like she may be #1 this year. Threw a stinking drop on me that hit one ankle and ricocheted into my other. So now I have two bad ones
Probably a good time to not break anything, no? I'm not sure when a good time would be to break something, but this 'aint it.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Could have been a worse bounce. Had once bounce off the boys about 10 yeard ago when I was catching my cousin at his house. Wasnt overly pleasant

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Could have been a worse bounce. Had once bounce off the boys about 10 yeard ago when I was catching my cousin at his house. Wasnt overly pleasant
Worst i saw was a guy get hit in the nuts after a perfect ricochet off an L screen.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Oh definitely I think it's like yeast right now, people panic bought it.

Still not in stock for us and I first asked dh to grab some the 15th. We have an open jar but figured more on hand would begood and maybe I'd make some since we were home. Now I gotta save the yeast for pizza dough this weekend

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If anyone would like some baby rabbits, please let me know. I will show you 4 or 5 nests in our raised garden beds. Really don’t want to wait on the neighborhood hawk to meander his way back around.
As if I didn’t have enough on my mind with bread flour, figuring out the likelihood that someone’s car lease will end before a potential SIP and how many zoom/webex/connect/etc. sessions I have this week. Geez rabbits, go play at KC’s house or something.

The car lease/buying argument was one of the more head scratching hills to die on in that thread.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Cornbread recipe
1-3/4 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C enriched corn meal
3/4 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk (whole milk)
1/4 C vegetable oil
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400. Grease 9x13 pan.
Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil & eggs, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 min or until light golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Hmmmm that looks simple and fast. We have whole milk now with kiddo .....not sure about corn meal. Dh really likes it but we've never made it, just the corn casserole kinda dish. Does Lew just use those little boxes of cornmeal? May have to try this.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The recipe I use from Gold Medal says to use water 120-130. Your yeast is mixed in with some flour, salt and sugar. Then you add the water and combine. Then after a couple minutes you add more flour until your dough forms. I haven't had a problem with it rising.

View attachment 71047

My recipe has always been use lukewarm water, not hot, put in with yeast and bit of sugar, let sit for 10. Pretty sure that's just what proofing the yeast is.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Hmmmm that looks simple and fast. We have whole milk now with kiddo .....not sure about corn meal. Dh really likes it but we've never made it, just the corn casserole kinda dish. Does Lew just use those little boxes of cornmeal? May have to try this.
We buy a bag of it - about the size of a 5lb sack of sugar. This recipe makes a cornbread that is more moist than the box cornbread mixes. It's addictive. :D

Reactions: cowgirl836

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My recipe has always been use lukewarm water, not hot, put in with yeast and bit of sugar, let sit for 10. Pretty sure that's just what proofing the yeast is.
Yes, that's proofing the yeast. I suppose the way I'm doing it uses warmer water because the yeast is mixed in with some of the flour.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Two random thoughts:

1) I wish my local mexican joint sold to-go margaritas in something smaller than a half gallon container. That's a lot of margarita for a) straight margarita with no ice, b) one person to drink by themselves (especially when I don't drink that much).

2) Got into a debate at work on Friday if the price we got for hand sanitizer was price gouging. It was $30/gallon but it came in 300 gallon totes.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Two random thoughts:

1) I wish my local mexican joint sold to-go margaritas in something smaller than a half gallon container. That's a lot of margarita for a) straight margarita with no ice, b) one person to drink by themselves (especially when I don't drink that much).

2) Got into a debate at work on Friday if the price we got for hand sanitizer was price gouging. It was $30/gallon but it came in 300 gallon totes.
After some quick math that's like 17 margaritas. If there's no ice I wonder how long that would last in the fridge. I would think it would last a while being that it is mainly liquor and lime juice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron