Random question of the day: Is there a weight limit for garbage cans?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I did this once but ended up emptying it out. The thing was so heavy, I was certain they would reject it.

There are 3 numbers to consider:
  1. How much the garbage company says you can put in there.
  2. How much the workers loading the truck care about number 1.
  3. How much can the container hold before it just rips apart when the truck picks it up?

Feels like #3 is the most important these days. The first two mattered more when they had people physically picking them up and dumping in the truck. Now with the automated systems, it all matters what the truck arm and bin can hold.

Though with these automated systems, it wouldn't be hard for them to change their pricing systems to charge by weight instead of a flat fee. I'd imagine that's on the horizon under the premise of saving the environment.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
In Cedar Rapids it just has to fit in the bin. We do have year round yard waste pickup from a separate huge bin as well. In the fall you just have to rake leaves to the curb and they come vacuum them up.

Marion is a PIA and you still have to have your own personally bought trash can that can only be so big and weigh so much because they do it all by hand still. Also yard waste has to go in those dumb biodegradable bags. They are notorious for being picky with what can/can't be in the garbage and they will tag it and not pick it up if they think there is something not allowed in it.

CR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marion

As far as weight goes for our Yardy I spent weeks of last fall putting wood chips from a ground up stump in the yardy. Sucker was HEAVY and the truck and bin had no issue.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
We did a ton of landscaping work today and filled our garbage can full. Trash day is Wednesday. I can barely get the son of a ***** on its wheels to roll. I’ve never had it this heavy before. I would assume in this day and age the garbage truck “claws” will have no issue picking this thing up and dumping it in its back right??

I can't recall the exact amount but they just did garbage trucks on a recent episode of modern marvels. I do remember it was way over 300lbs. Hydraulic systems are pretty damn stout and strong.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
My garbage folks are whimps. I've gotten a written warning once for it being too heavy. And then a few weeks later, they tossed a couple garbage bags back in my yard to apparently help lighten the load.

That was a few years ago. No issues since, despite no change in belligerent garbage behavior on my end.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
When we redid our old house we filled it full of old plaster. I thought the wheels were gonna break rolling it to the curb. The truck emptied it.

That said, I'm curious what kind of waste put in your trash from landscaping. You're not supposed to put soil and yard waste in them.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
When we redid our old house we filled it full of old plaster. I thought the wheels were gonna break rolling it to the curb. The truck emptied it.

That said, I'm curious what kind of waste put in your trash from landscaping. You're not supposed to put soil and yard waste in them.
Mulch, a couple bushes we dug up. Probably some dirt mixed in. I’m just now learning you’re “not suppose to do that”, but believe me I doubt that’s going to hurt the landfill. :)

Im not taking it out of the can now.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Mulch, a couple bushes we dug up. Probably some dirt mixed in. I’m just now learning you’re “not suppose to do that”, but believe me I doubt that’s going to hurt the landfill. :)

Im not taking it out of the can now.
I don't think its a big deal. I've snuck a little yard waste in my regular garbage. I've just never filled up the whole thing so it will be interesting to see if they say anything to you. I doubt they say anything but you're definitely putting it to the test.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I don't think its a big deal. I've snuck a little yard waste in my regular garbage. I've just never filled up the whole thing so it will be interesting to see if they say anything to you. I doubt they say anything but you're definitely putting it to the test.
I like to live dangerously.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Garbage truck just came by. Picked it up like it was nothing. Crazy how strong hydraulic systems are.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron