Question about Rhoads' comments regarding stadium upgrades

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Thy product on the field will determine e demand for additional seats. Iowa State is in unprecedented territory when it comes to season tickets and attendance. Another year like this year and 56k will be a fond memory. Investments in football need to be cautious and measured to ensure the investment is sustainable. 56k seats pulling in more dollars per seat is better than 60k and deep discounts or tarp advertising revenue.

Actually having 60k seats is better. Because for some games you will sell all 60k of those seats. In addition the extra 4,000 people buy programs, concessions, and parking. If you are going to do an expansion then you need to add some seats for revenue purposes. You simply can not just keep raising prices on existing seats. That is the surest way to empty the stadium as you will get to a point where you will price many people out. An extra 4,000 seats at $250 a season ticket is $1 million. And not having to raise the other ticket prices at all.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The growth of the football program has mostly been due to the massive amount of money/media thrown at it. Pollard has been selling HOPE, and people have been buying like crazy. Again, I went balls in too. However, after this years 2/3 win season, you will see people jumping off the ship. 4 straight losing seasons will do that to people, no matter how much smoke you blow at them. The announcement on the stadium updates helps. I'm excited for these - but I really don't think capacity needs changed. Another 2 or 3 win season next year and you will see why a capacity of 65k is a dumb idea.

Hope they are in my section and near me so that I can grab their tickets!

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I'd be very disappointed if it didn't get to 60k. I think we should get 60-63k actual seats, and only use the hillsides as overflow seating. Big games get to sell a ton of tickets, smaller games still have full stands. Maybe the little Cyclone club could use them normally, but other than that make it overflow.

#tarp

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Actually having 60k seats is better. Because for some games you will sell all 60k of those seats. In addition the extra 4,000 people buy programs, concessions, and parking. If you are going to do an expansion then you need to add some seats for revenue purposes. You simply can not just keep raising prices on existing seats. That is the surest way to empty the stadium as you will get to a point where you will price many people out. An extra 4,000 seats at $250 a season ticket is $1 million. And not having to raise the other ticket prices at all.

This.

Seriously though... where is it written in stone that we won't offer the SAME season ticket pricing even with the SEZ bowled in? Don't we already have more people trying to buy south endzone season tickets than we have available?

I don't get it. I'm no econ guy, but it would seem logical to this engineer that getting more people into the stadium, cheaply or not, increases the number of "chances" you have to sell your product and get these folks to donate and move up the seating food chain. From a marketing perspective, why limit your exposure to potential buyers?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
IF $99 season tickets remain an option (and that's a pretty big if) those seats will be in the corners of the stadium, not the end zone. Renovating JTS will mean an overdue overhaul of the seating arrangements. No way should anyone paying $20/game get that close to the field. Look at how pro stadiums do it and you'll see where we are headed.
If you drop the $99 and other cheap options, you would kill attendance.

HottyToddy

Aug 23, 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
MSU1.jpg MSU2.jpg

I would love to do something like Mississippi State is doing (the only time those words will be uttered by anyone). They essentially have the same stadium as us, and they are expanding capacity from 55,082 to 61,337.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
View attachment 23301 View attachment 23302

I would love to do something like Mississippi State is doing (the only time those words will be uttered by anyone). They essentially have the same stadium as us, and they are expanding capacity from 55,082 to 61,337.
The north end of their endzone is sweet, I think the Jake will look out of place. You want to make sure everything "flows" together, like its not just thrown together. I also hope we put in new bleacher tops, it will look awkward to have brand new cardinal and gold seats and then pink and light yellow in the rest of the stadium.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
My question is...if we build a 65k stadium... and only 55k show up...is that quieter than a 55k stadium that is full? There is no scenario where having a larger capacity makes it quieter. (within reason)

The simple fact of bowling it in should actually make it a little louder. Obviously you don't go to 70 or 80k because we'd never fill it...but adding extra capacity will be great for those games that we do sell out right now. We'll have Iowa at home that first year(2015)...I'd think that would sell out at 65k or close to it.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
My question is...if we build a 65k stadium... and only 55k show up...is that quieter than a 55k stadium that is full? There is no scenario where having a larger capacity makes it quieter. (within reason)

The simple fact of bowling it in should actually make it a little louder. Obviously you don't go to 70 or 80k because we'd never fill it...but adding extra capacity will be great for those games that we do sell out right now. We'll have Iowa at home that first year(2015)...I'd think that would sell out at 65k or close to it.

Maybe if fans see an emptier stadium they get it in their head that the demand is not that high for the game, and they are not as likely to be as loud or uninhibited? Obviously that would be subconscious. But being in a place that is packed to the brim does make you think like everyone is on the same page as you and makes you buy in to the fact that what you are watching is a big deal.

Just a devils advocate. I think 56k at Jack Trice is a lot louder than 56k at The Colleseum or at Texas or anywhere else that holds 100,000. That's obviously an extreme example.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe if fans see an emptier stadium they get it in their head that the demand is not that high for the game, and they are not as likely to be as loud or uninhibited? Obviously that would be subconscious. But being in a place that is packed to the brim does make you think like everyone is on the same page as you and makes you buy in to the fact that what you are watching is a big deal.

Just a devils advocate. I think 56k at Jack Trice is a lot louder than 56k at The Colleseum or at Texas or anywhere else that holds 100,000. That's obviously an extreme example.

Obviously you have never sat beside me when the stadium is clearing out toward the end of a game or at a game that is poorly attended.

I really think you are reaching here.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Obviously you have never sat beside me when the stadium is clearing out toward the end of a game or at a game that is poorly attended.

I really think you are reaching here.

It is pretty obvious that it is better to have a full stadium at a certain number than to have a half empty stadium at that number, though. The more people in close proximity to you yelling, the more likely you are to be yelling. I think that makes sense. There has to be some explanation.

Hell, look at all the crap everyone gives Baylor for The Tarp. A bigger stadium didn't do them any good.

But I think it is a moot point since we aren't going big enough for this to be a problem anyway.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Its going to be a disaster the seats will be miles from the field unless 10% of the current sidelines are removed. (Or the field will have to be shifted 20 yards south there is no other option.)

Building a bigger and better bleacher that is higher and steep is the only smart idea. Maybe a 2-3 teired stand replacing the bleacher too so you can have seats on the upper half that are GA, some premium club seats in the middle, and at the bottom have what is currently there.

Don't underestimate how many people only want to go if they can get in for 10 or 20 bucks.

"Bowling it in" is a waste of money. A nice stand that is double capacity of the current bleachers with a couple different levels and a few club seats in the middle is perfect.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Its going to be a disaster the seats will be miles from the field unless 10% of the current sidelines are removed. (Or the field will have to be shifted 20 yards south there is no other option.)

Building a bigger and better bleacher that is higher and steep is the only smart idea. Maybe a 2-3 teired stand replacing the bleacher too so you can have seats on the upper half that are GA, some premium club seats in the middle, and at the bottom have what is currently there.

Don't underestimate how many people only want to go if they can get in for 10 or 20 bucks.

"Bowling it in" is a waste of money. A nice stand that is double capacity of the current bleachers with a couple different levels and a few club seats in the middle is perfect.

Yep, a bigger metal bleacher definitely sounds awesome and will look legit

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The growth of the football program has mostly been due to the massive amount of money/media thrown at it. Pollard has been selling HOPE, and people have been buying like crazy. Again, I went balls in too. However, after this years 2/3 win season, you will see people jumping off the ship. 4 straight losing seasons will do that to people, no matter how much smoke you blow at them. The announcement on the stadium updates helps. I'm excited for these - but I really don't think capacity needs changed. Another 2 or 3 win season next year and you will see why a capacity of 65k is a dumb idea.

No offense, but you aren't giving me anything concrete. With what you just said, I could easily reply, "Watch what happens when we get to a bowl game again next year, then win 9 the next year after that. 65,000 might not be enough.

Again, I understand what you are saying, but also your mentality really says, don't bowl it in at all. In fact, remove one of the upper decks because at this rate, we'll be lucky to get 30,000 in the stands.

It's this mentality of a good amount of the fanbase that has basically kept us where we were at. I remember a lot of people saying when we got rid of Mac, "You can't do any better than him." It's just a terribly defeatist attitude that really doesn't do anyone any good.

I do think though, for now, that 55K is too low and 65K is too high. You get somewhere in between those and you won't notice a few butts missing here or there. Make the endzone tickets the cheaper tickets and they will always be full.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is pretty obvious that it is better to have a full stadium at a certain number than to have a half empty stadium at that number, though. The more people in close proximity to you yelling, the more likely you are to be yelling. I think that makes sense. There has to be some explanation.

Hell, look at all the crap everyone gives Baylor for The Tarp. A bigger stadium didn't do them any good.

But I think it is a moot point since we aren't going big enough for this to be a problem anyway.

Yes, it is also moot since no one has proposed that ISU double the size of the stadium. Having a couple thousand seats empty now and then is worth it when you have a some head room to sell for most of the other games.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa

I bet recruits will be excited about our bigger bleachers. Haha
I'm glad you aren't on the planning committee.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Brilliant.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
I suggested much larger metal bleachers quite a while ago. Of course, with the $25M infusion, that thought is now crazy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

The last plan that was released included removing some of the existing seating on the W and E sides to allow the curve to start earlier and keep the SEZ seating closer to the action. I'm sure that will continue to be part of the plan.