QB decision to come on Monday

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Can someone please give me a quick run down on the Sam Richardson moped story? I must have missed it since I don't know what people are referring to when they mention it. Thanks in advance!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why in the world would anyone boo either Sam or Grant if they are the starter?

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
i won't even attempt to take issue with your rebuttal. Good stuff! Just stating what I heard SR mention in a recent interview and a little 'inside' tidbit that I got back in the spring.

No worries. I think, to your point, because Sam is a very good runner, at times he might tend to run it if he sees an opening. And that is a natural thing to do if you know you are faster than 75% of people on the defense. For eg., in the WV game in 2012, it was cold, windy (25 MPH gusty), less than an ideal day to throw the ball. There were many times in that game where the OL did give Sam time to throw, but he ran after 2-3 seconds because there was a 10 foot gap that opened up in front of him in the line of scrimmage and he probably reacted to it by taking off and getting an automatic 10-12 yards and a first down vs. waiting an extra second in the pocket for someone to get open. IMO, he did the right thing that day by taking off (I remember him doing that at least 8-10 times with good success ala. Jared Barnett).

Some OC's might take issue with him taking off saying "if you would have waited an extra second, you had Bundrage open down the sideline for a TD or long gain." That's a tough choice as a QB...do you keep the chains moving and take the automatic first down by running, get a 10 yard gain or risk the 25 Mph wind that day messing with a long ball and getting an incompletion? There is no right answer, but because Sam has been running all his life with success, I can see how that tendency to take off might be hard to break. Jared had the same dilemma, but they BOTH know WHEN to take off, and both usually made good yardage when running. I think Sam is a much better thrower than Jared was however.

So there is that argument out there and I get that too. I just think in 2012, he ran because he saw an opening. In 2013 he ran, most of the time, to Survive.

Last edited:

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
No worries. I think, to your point, because Sam is a very good runner, that at times he might tend to run it if he sees an opening. And that is a natural thing to do if you know you are faster than 75% of people on the defense. For eg., in the WV game in 2012, it was cold, windy (25 MPH gusty), less than an ideal day to throw the ball. There were many times in that game where the OL did give Sam time to throw, but he ran after 2-3 seconds because there was a 10 foot gap that opened up in front of him in the line of scrimmage and he probably reacted to it by taking off and getting an automatic 10-12 yards and a first down vs. waiting an extra second in the pocket for someone to get open. IMO, he did the right thing that day by taking off (I remember him doing that at least 8-10 times with good success ala. Jared Barnett). Some OC's might take issue with him taking off saying "if you would have waited an extra second, you had Bundrage open down the sideline for a TD or long gain." That's a tough choice as a QB...do you keep the chains moving and take the automatic first down by running, get a 10 yard gain or risk the 25 Mph wind that day messing with a long ball and getting an incompletion? There is no right answer, but because Sam has been running all his life with success, I can see how that tendency to take off might be hard to break. Jared had the same dilemma, but they BOTH know WHEN to take off, and both usually made good yardage when running. I think Sam is a much better thrower than Jared was however.

So there is that argument out there and I get that too.

as andrew luck would say, "You can't go broke taking a profit!" So in this case, just run it!

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Can someone please give me a quick run down on the Sam Richardson moped story? I must have missed it since I don't know what people are referring to when they mention it. Thanks in advance!

Last season Sam was evidently in a moped accident between the UNI game and the Iowa game. From what I've heard, the moped accident had more to do with why he was dinged up during the Iowa game than his injury at the end of the UNI game.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Last season Sam was evidently in a moped accident between the UNI game and the Iowa game. From what I've heard, the moped accident had more to do with why he was dinged up during the Iowa game than his injury at the end of the UNI game.

Get him a damn bicycle! Or a Golf Cart.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Hines was on Miller & Brinson today and he thinks it will be Rohach

Yep! I listened to Bobby and Travis' podcast the other day and they seemed to have already anointed Grant as well. Which....I had too before I became informed. Which leads me to believe its lazy journalism on the Trib's part. I have gathered that a lot lately listening to them. Chris is WAY more informed about real-time happenings in the program. But, i appreciate the hell out of Travis' basketball coverage. But when it comes to football, just my opinion, but I think they resemble outsiders trying to opine. Which is odd given the fact of their current geography.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I don't care if they wait until 2 minutes before kickoff to name starter, as long as everyone in the program knows, and that person is repping the most. I like the fact that the Buffalo Heifers have to take the wait and see approach/prepare for 2 qb's gameplan. After reading what some of their d-bag fans have had to say, **** em.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
And I'm not saying predicting Grant is wrong or unfounded. At all. But in their podcast they seemed to have no doubt it would be Grant. Like, they hadn't really been following the latest developments. They really sounded like national pundits musing about Cyclone football. And i'd have thought they would be much more informed.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I have to take issue with what is in bold, being a former QB. Honestly, I think what we saw with Sam last year taking off was a natural reaction to not having enough time to set up in the pocket. Another thing I have always noticed about the old offense, was the combination of routes that our WR's and TE's ran did not set up any of the others to get open. The combination of routes did not compliment each other in any way, they were just based on spacing. They seemed like a lot of 1 on 1 matchups where our WR's were running Fly's downfield or rounded off shorter routes, trying to break free..I'm sure it is not that simple.

However, remembering back to Cotton's old offense when Brett Meyer was QB, the routes were not overly complex and were based much more on timing, so the QB already knew before the ball was snapped where he was going, where the gap in the defense would be from his pre snap read, how many steps he dropped back, and knew when to get rid of the ball to get to the receiver on timing. It's as simple as knowing a WR is running a 12 yard post/post hook/flag, knows when the break will be and delivering the ball on timing. I never sensed that with the old Herman offense and many times, our receivers never got separation to allow the QB to deliver it anyway, and why Sam took off running along with an avalanche of opposing defenders closing in on him within 2-3 seconds. Did anyone else notice that? I could never figure out what the WRs routes were trying to do, but they never seemed to criss cross, set up anyone up/rub to spring another guy open IMO. At least I never saw it. When we would get sacked, I would watch where the WR's were and they were running downfield away from the QB with a defender draped all over them. No where for the QB to go. Topped with the lack of time from the OL to throw the ball and receivers rarely getting open, and you quickly ruin a QB's confidence, and see him flush the pocket, eyes go down to the ground instead of downfield etc. etc.

What I remember about the old KU routes (and Barney Cotton's old offense with Blythe/Meyer) were that they were less complex, based more on timing and the QB could almost know where to go with the ball before the ball is snapped and that alone will give a QB confidence. He doesn't have to ad lib as much. He doesn't have to scan the field "waiting" for someone to get open, he knows to take a 3-5 or 7 step drop and get rid of the ball at a preset time, or throw it away. However, if the Red Sea Opens up in front of you then take off. Last year Sam was taking off to Survive, which is a whole different deal than flushing before he should have. If you don't have the time in the pocket and don't have time to even throw it away, the only thing you naturally do is to run it, and then he got drilled. Sam didn't do that in 2012 in the KU game. The reason why is that OL gave him time.

I believe we will see the new offense with older school, simple, running routes and more WRs getting separation, the ball delivered to an open spot where his guy gets it or no one gets it on the sideline. KU ran those routes (as simple as many high school routes are) to perfection. Even the OL knows the routes if they pay attention to the call, and know if they need to block for 2 seconds, 3 seconds or 4 (on longer developing plays). All synchronized and everyone on the same page. Simpler the better.

Good observations. Just never seemed like we would see very many shallow crossing routes to create the spacing you are talking about and to try and loosen the defense or create a third option over the middle. It also seemed like they threw medium range patterns right on the sideline boundary where a catch might be possible but the ball had to be dropped in the bucket. Too many times our QBs overthrew out of bounds. You could just see Bundrage getting frustrated.

Also, lots of plays where receivers didn't seem to know when to break off a route and help their QB who was scrambling.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
The poll results surprised me because based on this message board and the vocal minority I thought most hated Richardson. I think Sam is the best quarterback we've seen in at least a decade. Grant may be good as well, but I don't think it is his time yet. Another poster asked about the moped incident. Does anyone know the extent and nature of the injuries? I've never heard other than Sam was hurt worse than was let on. If we curb stomp NDSU 7+ wins is possible. If not, could be a long year.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
The poll results surprised me because based on this message board and the vocal minority I thought most hated Richardson. I think Sam is the best quarterback we've seen in at least a decade. Grant may be good as well, but I don't think it is his time yet. Another poster asked about the moped incident. Does anyone know the extent and nature of the injuries? I've never heard other than Sam was hurt worse than was let on. If we curb stomp NDSU 7+ wins is possible. If not, could be a long year.

I don't know the extent of his injuries other than he was ******* injured! When asked today about the "real" Sam, Rhoads pointed to the 2012 Kansas game as the "real" Sam. When he lit the Jayhawks up! So, yeah, after that comment mixed with some other innuendos, I'm predicting Sam as the starter come Aug 30th.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

Great post. The moped incident is news to me, so won't comment on it. To your last sentence, I think we need to be patient (and after last year, that is hard to do). I hope we light NDSU up too, but chances are, it will be a close game because they have a culture of winning. I do think we will win, BUT we have to remember this is a new offensive system, we have a very tough top half of the season schedule, with more winnable games at the end of the year. We could struggle some early until both our offense and defense gel. What I mean is our offense getting all the nuances of the new system to be second nature and the defense figuring out their identity with all the new moving parts.

I would not be shocked if we get off to a rocky start, and greatly improve as the season goes on, as we face teams later in the year where we have a greater chance to win. It's a marathon, not a sprint. However, if this team has bowl aspirations then we need to get off to a great start and win the first 2 out of 3, IMO to have a chance. That might be too much to ask, but it might not if the team gels on both sides of the ball much faster than we expect. Just don't give up on this team if we struggle early because I have a lot of faith in this staff...maybe the best coaching staff at ISU ever or at least since the early 70's.

Reactions: ExCyment

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Lord, this is as painful as listening to stupid Iowa policy-wonks commenting on politicians who argue while sitting on hay bales at the State Fair. Barf alert.
This team will need TWO quarterbacks through this brutal schedule. Whoever starts the first game will not take every snap. Some of you don't want to hear this.....but we will not have protection for our guy to sit back there like tom Brady and pick the superior competition apart. It won't be as brutal as the last few years of Quarterback meatgrinder offense....I hope. If the kids AND the coaches want to fight and win for Iowa State, we will have two and three quarterbacks ready to go. I hope Mangino is still smart.....he will need to be.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Good observations. Just never seemed like we would see very many shallow crossing routes to create the spacing you are talking about and to try and loosen the defense or create a third option over the middle. It also seemed like they threw medium range patterns right on the sideline boundary where a catch might be possible but the ball had to be dropped in the bucket. Too many times our QBs overthrew out of bounds. You could just see Bundrage getting frustrated.

Also, lots of plays where receivers didn't seem to know when to break off a route and help their QB who was scrambling.

Maybe he should have focused on catching the ones that hit him square in the chest!

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Lord, this is as painful as listening to stupid Iowa policy-wonks commenting on politicians who argue while sitting on hay bales at the State Fair. Barf alert.
This team will need TWO quarterbacks through this brutal schedule. Whoever starts the first game will not take every snap. Some of you don't want to hear this.....but we will not have protection for our guy to sit back there like tom Brady and pick the superior competition apart. It won't be as brutal as the last few years of Quarterback meatgrinder offense....I hope. If the kids AND the coaches want to fight and win for Iowa State, we will have two and three quarterbacks ready to go. I hope Mangino is still smart.....he will need to be.

Mangino is smart enough to get the ball out of the QB's hands quickly and into the playmakers hands. I can assure you of that, early in the season until we start moving the ball with the short pass & run game and then start taking some shots downfield. Mess never had the ability to see the forest through the trees.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

I don't think anybody is advocating only one QB should be ready to play.

Apr 19, 2006
I don't know the extent of his injuries other than he was ******* injured! When asked today about the "real" Sam, Rhoads pointed to the 2012 Kansas game as the "real" Sam. When he lit the Jayhawks up! So, yeah, after that comment mixed with some other innuendos, I'm predicting Sam as the starter come Aug 30th.

I was thinking he got 5 stitches from the moped accident. And he shouldn't have been playing in most of those games, but Rohach was so far behind at that point of the season they didn't stand a chance.

So they were forced to go with a very injured Sam, instead of a healthy Grant.

Help Support Us

Become a patron