QB decision to come on Monday

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I know there were some mentions routes in earlier posts. Just curious if anyone knows how our offense is structured when as far as route running goes. I had a friend play WR for Drake during their recent conference championship seasons and mentioned that pretty much every passing play had option routes for most receivers based on pre-snap reads, so the QB and the WR had to be on the same page. He said the "playbooks looked nothing like video game plays. Is that the case for most college (and beyond) offenses?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I don't think this was all that close once Sam got his confidence back and was healthy. When healthy, he was pretty damn good. The question was whether he was ruined last year or not and evidently he wasn't.

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA

Used to be in Kato, just moved back to Ankeny. I was always at the Hilltop bdubs watching ISU. I'm actually engaged to one of their former bartenders so whenever I walked in they turned on the ISU game for me.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
But for me it's all about protection up front, if we fail there it will be same old **** different day.

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
The concerning and historical issue with a fall competition is that it leads to quick trigger from staff to pull starter.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
The concerning and historical issue with a fall competition is that it leads to quick trigger from staff to pull starter.

Does it with Mangino, though?

Has that been his history?

I don't think it matters what past staff here have done, so much as it matters what Mangino's approach has been. If we do have the luxury of having two good QB's, there may actually be a time where it makes sense to pull the starter and see if the other guy can get the team going. Its a fine line, but I must say I'd trust a guy with the background and proven skills of Coach Mangino.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Haven't seen that IMO. We watched lots of Jantz turnovers week after week and finally it was just too much and too painful. Last year we played a banged up Sam Richardson forever and a day before we even put in Rohach.

I am a Sam fan and hope he wins the QB battle because IMO he gives us the best shot to win. But if Sam plays the whole first half and can't hit even the simplest of passes, is fumbling, and throwing interceptions left and right, then in the second half you play Grant and give him a shot at a series or two. IMO, Sam will have played so terribly that he has dictated that Grant gets another shot. If Sam plays even reasonable then he continues to get playing time.

But I don't just blindly leave him in. For example, Jevohn Miller played atrociously against UNI. First 3 UNI possessions resulted in TD's which pretty much meant the game right there. Burnham replaced Miller with Luke Knott. Maybe you think that shattered Miller's confidence. IMO, it HAD to be done. And we might have waited too long but we gave Miller his shot. Now he has improved and playing better. So maybe that motivated him to work harder and learn more.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
We'll probably see Lanning start a game before the end of the season so this decision doesn't matter all that much.