Promoting Messingham to OC was a mistake

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The play calling saturday was bad, but our Oline needs to block a hell of a lot better. I feel if plays have time to develop and have better protection well we are a better offensive team.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
i definitely agree with the OP. I haven't been this frustrated with our offense since the chizik era

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Western Illinois was not a good offensive game. We couldn't even sit the starters until well into the 4th quarter.
My standards are low? If you measure how well an offense plays, by whether the backups get playing time or not, your standards are off.

Our offense currently ranks 90th in the nation out of 120 teams. If you like that, then so be it. I guess you have low standards. The defense ranks 18th. Without an 18th ranked defense, we'd be in a world of hurt right now.
I never said I liked it. The point I was making was, how many times did the offense, under Herman, put out 37 & 38 points in games that didn't go overtime?

Ranking 90th in points per game at 24.3 is not good. However, it is better than ranking 102nd in '09 at 20.5 per game, 93rd in '10 at 22.2, and 90th in '11 at 22.7. The offensive problems you're complaining about won't be solved over night.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I love Paul Rhoads, and I hope he stays at ISU for a very long time. He has made tremendous strides with this program.

However, he made a mistake IMO when he promoted Messingham to OC after the departure of Herman. Herman ended up being a mistake hire as well, but I liked it when it happened because I really thought he would be good, so Rhoads gets a pass on that one.

But... ISU was a HORRIBLE offense every single year under Tom Herman. Not just below average, we were awful offensively. Our offense under Herman was just painful to even watch.

I think a lot of fans were like me when we first heard Tom Herman was leaving.... good riddance! It was time to ditch that awful offensive scheme and bring someone in that knew how to move the football and score points. But instead, we promote Messingham and announce that the offense wouldn't really be changing much at all. And if anything, it would become even more vanilla and simpler under Messingham.... which boggled my mind because I already thought our offense was ridiculously predictable and boring.

So we are getting basically exactly what I figured we'd be getting. Yes, we are 3-1, but the offense only had one good game and that was against Tulsa. The offense nearly cost us the Iowa game, and it did cost us the TT game. It wasn't even good against Western Illinois.

So yes, Steele Jantz isn't really that good of a QB. But, as some have said, he's a square peg that we're trying to fit into a round hole. He can't run the zone read play at all. It's just ugly. And his passes are too inaccurate, so opposing defenses just stack the box. It's what Rutgers did to us in the bowl game, and I'm surprised that every team doesn't do it against us? I'd make Steele throw on every down. Barnett too. He can't throw either.

But this offense we run is pathetic IMO. When you are on the half yard line and you have your QB standing 7 yds behind the line of scrimmage handing it off to a RB who is at a complete standstill, that is a horrible offense. Sorry, it just is. And when your QB fakes the handoff to the RB up the middle, and then follows that same RB right into the hole... that is just plain stupid. You fake the ball up the middle to draw the defense to that RB, so why then follow him right into the pursuit? Steele does this all the time. It drives me insane!

The one play that has somewhat seemed to work for us this year is the WR bubble screen. But then against TT, we never run it. TT brings 8 guys up in the box and sends almost all of them up the gut at us, but we refuse to exploit the edges on them with the quick WR screen to the outside. And we refuse to exploit the area vacated by the blitzing LB's right over the middle with a quick slant to the TE.

I just can't hardly stomach watching this offense anymore. I wanted a new direction when Herman left, but no, I guess we were satisfied with his offense that was consistently one of the worst in the nation year after year.

At this point, I say start Steele this week and if he struggles early, then yank him. Bring in Barnett. And if he can't get anything going, then give Richardson a shot. I'm sick and tired of this "Richardson is just too young" BS. I've seen plenty of young QBs do well in college.

And if none of our QB's can get this awful scheme to work, then you have to replace Mess I'm afraid. The Mess Offense pretty much would perfectly describe this offense. It's a mess alright.
Completely agree. I was so disappointed when we didn't get Gruden or maybe Sean Payton to take over for Herman when he left.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I always read clonedude's posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I did a lot of extensive research. The results of the research showed that Iowa State is in fact 3-1.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
This looks like a fun thread. I like fun threads. Hi, everybody!!

Dr._Riviera.png

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What this thread needs is some Men at Work in short shorts.

[video=youtube;TMWmm4-lzEA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWmm4-lzEA[/video]

CycloneDSM

Sep 30, 2012
DSM
Yeah, because facts hurt, right? Best to live in Cardinal and Gold Kool-Aid dreamland where everything is nice and rosy.

This offense stinks. Yes, you could point to a game or two since Rhoads has been here where the offense was really good, but those are called anomolies. Those are outliers. The statistics prove otherwise. Our offense has been, and still is, one of the worst in college football.

If you were one of the worst performers at your job, you'd be gone. Sorry to hurt your feelings. This offense is bad. Possibly it would be better with a better QB, but I'm sorry, that's also part of your job as OC. If your QB can't run your scheme, then change your scheme to suit the skill set of the QB you have.

I agree with you the Offense is a MESS....we need a new OC & QB. This has been a problem since we hired CPR and it has to chance if want to be better then .500 every year.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
It's only been 4 games, not 4 years. If it was 4 years, I would certainly expect it to be a lot better.

BigCojones

Aug 24, 2009
Ankeny
I'm affraid I strongly agree with the OP. And after listening to Messingham's interview on the radion this afternoon I'm even more convinced of it.

He has shown no ability to call plays to get the defense from crowding the line of scrimage and comming with pressure each down. He is essentially making it harder on the OL and QB each play. Teams like KSU and Baylor defenses have to be honest. With ours you don't. Defenses can pin their ears back and come.

He has shown NO ability to make adjustments. Does not seem to be offensive minded and see things they could exploit.

He does nothing to draw the defense out of positoin or keep them honest. He doesn't do any natuaral pics to get the WR free across the middle.

He will not try gadget plays cause he wants to stay ahead of the downs. But his worthless play calling all ready puts us behind. Thank god he wasn't the OC at UCONN last year or Lentz wouldnt have thrown a TD pass.

I can guarantee you a better offensive mind like Art Briles or Bobby Patrino would have that offense humming.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron