Prohms Technical

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
The line is not where you think the line is.

While tech you are correct Mtowncyclone may not know where the line is, Mtowncyclone was right that Drew was out of the box. 10 feet past that 3 ft hash mark is a ft outside the box. Also Drew was all the way half court multiple times in the second half.

But beyond all that, a better assessment by you Shadow would be to say Reid Gettys and Mike Stewart dont know where the coaches box is. Reid Gettys said Stewart told him to look down and he was 4 ft beyond the hash and out on the floor, that means he was in the coaches box but yeah on the floor. No matter Drew was also on the floor more than a dozen times with ball in play during the game

Reactions: Cycsk

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Did they even warn him?

Any time Tom Eades does a game for ISU it is an interesting one.

No. No warning was issued. Prohm was in the coaches box but on the floor trying to get a Timeout. Meanwhile Scott Drew walks to half court along side our guards bringing the ball up all 2nd half nothing

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Basically we were raped, in all places, Waco Texas. Hmm go figure, never would have expected that. Scott Drew is a serial coaching box offender and Prohm is one of the most respectable in game coaches around, so yeah makes sense

I think Prohm should have taken a T at that point, but not for being out of the coaches box.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think my point was, bruce webber deserves it. He runs around like a madman all game, as do most coaches in the big 12, running around and bit#$ing all game. Steve doesn't, until he did once tonight and got T for it.

The reason those screwball coaches run around like madmen is because they want to intimidate the refs and it usually works.....The other dynamic is that the team with the worst record usually gets the most foul calls .....why U say...because the refs subconsiously feel they will lose anyway so why not call everything that even remotely looks like a foul on them.......

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Really? They gave him it when he was coming out to call time?

**** those refs.

You could even read Prohm's lips in the clip they showed while they were heading to the next commercial break.

"I was trying to call timeout!"

I went back and watched my DVR of the game and Scott Drew did a decent job staying in the coach's box. There were a few times he crossed the line but immediately realized it and jumped back. The ones that bug me are like Bruce Weber when he is running out onto the court, technically staying on the right side of the coach's box marker but still flailing himself onto the court. I think he actually got hit by a player while he was on the court this season and got a T for it. Only reason he got the T is because he was hit, not because he had wandered his ass out onto the court again.

mkadlmkadl

Dec 5, 2017
You could even read Prohm's lips in the clip they showed while they were heading to the next commercial break.

"I was trying to call timeout!"

I went back and watched my DVR of the game and Scott Drew did a decent job staying in the coach's box. There were a few times he crossed the line but immediately realized it and jumped back. The ones that bug me are like Bruce Weber when he is running out onto the court, technically staying on the right side of the coach's box marker but still flailing himself onto the court. I think he actually got hit by a player while he was on the court this season and got a T for it. Only reason he got the T is because he was hit, not because he had wandered his ass out onto the court again.

Why not take a player and put him in front of the coaches box when the other coach acts up, the player steps on his ankle or just runs into him. When the coach steps out plow him? Wont't ever happen, but would be fun to see. Run an offense in front of the offending coach.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The reason those screwball coaches run around like madmen is because they want to intimidate the refs and it usually works.....The other dynamic is that the team with the worst record usually gets the most foul calls .....why U say...because the refs subconsiously feel they will lose anyway so why not call everything that even remotely looks like a foul on them.......

I agree with you on why they do it, but, IMO as a ref, if you get intimidated by a coaches antics, you have no place being a ref at this level. We’ve seen before there really is no recourse against a ref for bad decisions so there shouldn’t be for them just doing their job. What is Drew going to do, beat a ref up? It’s a joke if you let a coach intimidate you.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
IF Prohm was given a warning to stay in the coaches box and then left the coaches box, he probably earned the T no matter how weak of a call it is.

If he wasn't given a warning for leaving the box its garbage.

It is hilarious to me that after every single game, win or loss, people here ***** about the officiating. If you look at every team who plays in Hilton they think we get home cooking. Every team playing in the Phog thinks Kansas gets home cooking.

After a win? "We'd have won by 27 instead of 8 if the officials didn't suck!"

After a loss? "The officials completely cost us this game!"

I assume most of you who are repeat offenders are the people at your kid's games yelling at officials. Are they perfect? Nope. Do they get it right about 95% of the time? Yep.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Baylor dude body checks somebody... no foul play, on.

ISU guy looks at somebody funny. And one.

I do not think it was a terrible officiating performance but it was definitely not consistent.

I can see why Prohm got irked at this inconsistencies in key moments and on Lard.
I swear the refs sometimes just blow the whistle assuming there is going to be a foul. Lard barely brushed against him and got called.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Bruce Weber was called for it Monday. It has happened in other games.

Wondered if anyone else has seen this called this year.
Kind of like Lard's 'excessive' celebration Ts, CSP getting a T for the reason given seems to be unique to Iowa State.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
IF Prohm was given a warning to stay in the coaches box and then left the coaches box, he probably earned the T no matter how weak of a call it is.

If he wasn't given a warning for leaving the box its garbage.

It is hilarious to me that after every single game, win or loss, people here ***** about the officiating. If you look at every team who plays in Hilton they think we get home cooking. Every team playing in the Phog thinks Kansas gets home cooking.

After a win? "We'd have won by 27 instead of 8 if the officials didn't suck!"

After a loss? "The officials completely cost us this game!"

I assume most of you who are repeat offenders are the people at your kid's games yelling at officials. Are they perfect? Nope. Do they get it right about 95% of the time? Yep.

I agree on foul calls, traveling etc. After every game both sides think they got screwed. But i have the great fortune of sitting in some friends seats very close behind the visitors bench quite often and i see coaches basically ignoring the coaches box for 40 mins. They are almost to half court and in some cases on the court about 25 % of the time. I see MULTIPLE warnings issued. I can promise you steve is the most well behaved coach on the sidelines in the big 12 and its not even remotely close, maybe lon kruger as well. So for Steve to get a quick T like that at a key moment in the game is about as laughable of a call as i have ever seen in a sporting event.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Watching Seton Hall - VIllanova right now. Ref just stopped play to give the Seton Hall coach a warning. Seems like something a good ref would do.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Help Support Us

Become a patron