Printed Ticket = Win

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Our ticket taker was having a devil of a time with the scanner and phones in the sun when we entered at the south entrance. And yes, we had out tickets in a wallet. It was taking 2 or 3 times as long as scanning paper.

So take it easy on @KneeGusto.

The Chiefs and basically every other major sporting event I've gone to does it this way now. He was told many different ways to handle it and ignored it in the last thread. Now he's started a new thread to ***** about it again. No, I won't take it easy on him.

Reactions: Cydkar

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I was unfamiliar with Ticketmaster app but it was fairly easy to use to get tickets. I clicked the get tickets app and saw they were on my phone. I got to the stadium and checked to make sure they were there. Good to go. Opened the app as we approached the stadium and nothing.

E-tickets that are not designed to be directly downloadable to a device from the app are a dumb idea. I know, fraud from having multiple tickets out there to events is something they have to be concerned about, so they want to leave them transferable as long as possible, but come on.

were your tickets season tickets or did you just get it for the individual game?

i'm guessing since you went through the ticketmaster app that they were just for uni?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
were your tickets season tickets or did you just get it for the individual game?

i'm guessing since you went through the ticketmaster app that they were just for uni?

Yes just single game purchase.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I also get zero service at the lots/stadium, but had no issue pulling the tickets up in my phone's Google wallet... Those don't require internet/cell service.

Sounds like this is a case of old people not understanding technology. ISU sent multiple emails telling people to save your tickets to a wallet (free app on any carrier for those who don't know). Hell, John Walters even did a video step by step tutorial..

My father in law used a printed ticket and they said the exact same thing as above. Apparently scanning the bar code is faster and easier than the QR code.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Yes just single game purchase.

yeah, it's a little dumb they make you create a ticketmaster account if you receive transferrable tickets.

i'd imagine there would be an option within the ticketmaster app to add to a google/apple wallet though.

otherwise, what always works too is just take a screenshot of your ticket and it'll go into your photos.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The amount of vitriol toward a guy who didn't complain but simply stated that printing his ticket worked great for him is funny.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Did your car run out of gas to charge the phone a little bit before going in to the game? Can we not expect people to even have a little bit of sense? Does Pollard need to stand by the port-o-potties to wipe your ass too?
What if you don't tailgate by your car? Or car-pooled with someone else. Just saying, you can be tech-literate and still run into an issue.

I think the option to print tickets or use them electronically works for everyone.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Great, slam him in that thread. You holding a grudge into this thread is childish.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The amount of vitriol toward a guy who didn't complain but simply stated that printing his ticket worked great for him is funny.
You must have missed the OP’s other thread complaining about having to set up a Ticketmaster account.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Having used mobile ticketing last season and on Saturday, it works fine. But I don't particularly like the ISU app and I don't particularly trust the GPay Android app, it's done some weird/buggy stuff that makes me a little nervous. And at a tailgate there's a million things that could go wrong with your phone besides a dead battery.

All that is to say is that while I'm very much a pro-technology guy, I get the people who choose to print them off.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
yeah, it's a little dumb they make you create a ticketmaster account if you receive transferrable tickets.

i'd imagine there would be an option within the ticketmaster app to add to a google/apple wallet though.

otherwise, what always works too is just take a screenshot of your ticket and it'll go into your photos.

I'll know better next time, as I imagine others will as well. I guess I don't remotely know why you design an app to ticket mass events tat is dependent upon a direct cellular connection where you cannot access your purchases once you are in a crowd.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'll know better next time, as I imagine others will as well. I guess I don't remotely know why you design an app to ticket mass events tat is dependent upon a direct cellular connection where you cannot access your purchases once you are in a crowd.
Because they don't plan on the Ames communities of the world...they figure most events are in metropolitan areas where service is never an issue.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I always just screen shot my tickets but paper is the way to go because you don’t have glare. It took forever for us to get in at the south gate

Yep. Had six tickets on two phones in Apple Pay and the person scanning got one phone easily and took forever on the other, struggled with all four tickets on that one. South Gate was a disaster

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
The ticket has an option to store in the wallet. Do that and no WiFi required. Easy **** the Hoks peasy.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We had no issues other than my dad who for whatever dumb reason thought he saved his to his wallet but didn't...

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

The part about downloading to your phone so you aren't reliant on a cell connection makes sense. I just don't get why you wouldn't design the ISU app to do that instead of a tedious process to transfer to another app.

And I'd like to see the ability to group all tickets for a single event (parking, regular tickets, Jr. Cyclone Club tickets) together so you don't have to sit there in line and swipe repeatedly to bring up different types of tickets to scan.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I had a problem with Ticketmaster and Cyclones.com getting them to work on my phone. I also have had ZERO coverage around Jack Trice Stadium with my phone. I have a weird carrier. It is no different this year. But I was at home and printed my own ticket on my crappy inkjet printer.

Dude at the entry gate told me to go to the shortest line and I was in. 2nd Dude scanning my ticket said "You making it easy on me."

No, "Dude" You made it easy on me. I looked at all the people trying to show phone images and whatnot and people arguing over stuff and realized that sheet of paper and a little bit of ink saved me 10 minutes of angst.

I imagined a ticket taking catastrophe. It was not. I have heard other stories that were much worse, but if you have the ability to print out a scannable code I highly suggest it for future events.

I hate that we have to have a robust phone from a certain carrier, or a computer with a decent quality printer to enter the stadium after donations, ticket costs, and all the other BS we go through, but the printed ticket does work.
The only issue I have with this is I have kept my paper ticket from every sporting event I have been to since i was 15 years old. So now that everything is mobile I can no longer do that...unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and DSMCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron