Printed Ticket = Win

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
At the Kansas game, as I got to the South gate, I could not get my tickets to open from my WALLET (Google Pay). It gave me a message that I had no internet. I have limited data so I leave my data off unless I need it. I had to turn on my Data, still had trouble, but eventually got my tickets to open. So, maybe I don't understand Google Pay but to say you don't need Internet in order to open your tickets, that was not my experience.

Seems to me that if any venue is going to use electronic tickets, then they need to provide free wi-fi to the entire stadium or coliseum area so that tickets can be accessed. We just went to a concert last Thursday and also last Tuesday, both times we had bad experiences trying to get our tickets to open. At one venue, we had to leave the gate, go to a place where we could get internet, open our tickets, then go back to the gate again. Maybe there is a way to open tickets without internet, but it is not fool-proof by any stretch of the imagination.
I am not a big fan of electronic tickets but I understand that it is the way of the future. Open your tickets long before you get to the doors. If you are trying to open them at the gate you are doing it wrong.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I do miss the nostalgia of the actual ticket, as I liked to save the ones from big/historic games. Maybe I can screenshot my electronic ones and turn them into NFTs now.

It is also less convenient and more work for me to distribute the tickets to my group. It’s not that it’s hard, but it’s just another step when loading up or preparing for game day.

Don’t get me started on the parking attendants :jimlad:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
At the Kansas game, as I got to the South gate, I could not get my tickets to open from my WALLET (Google Pay). It gave me a message that I had no internet. I have limited data so I leave my data off unless I need it. I had to turn on my Data, still had trouble, but eventually got my tickets to open. So, maybe I don't understand Google Pay but to say you don't need Internet in order to open your tickets, that was not my experience.

Seems to me that if any venue is going to use electronic tickets, then they need to provide free wi-fi to the entire stadium or coliseum area so that tickets can be accessed. We just went to a concert last Thursday and also last Tuesday, both times we had bad experiences trying to get our tickets to open. At one venue, we had to leave the gate, go to a place where we could get internet, open our tickets, then go back to the gate again. Maybe there is a way to open tickets without internet, but it is not fool-proof by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm totally speculating here, but I wonder if either your app or version of Android needs to be updated. Updating apps and rebooting devices sounds like such condescending advice in 2021 but it truly does solve a lot of problems.

Personally I've not had any issues pulling up Google Pay, but if by chance it does require some small amount of data, I'm actually getting a signal on game days for the first time (aside from last year's Covid-reduced attendance). I'm on Verizon.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Where are you going in GPay to access your tickets? If you are accessing your cards/tickets from the upper right hand corner, you should not need any data. I just did it in airplane mode on my phone with no issue. At the first game I WAS having a data issue because I was trying to access them via the Ticketmaster button on the bottom - that is not the way to do it.

Screenshot_20211014-084925.png

Reactions: LarryISU

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Screen shot, wallet…so many solutions that don’t require printing paper tickets. These are very difficult things to do on most phones anymore, so one can see how printing might be easier. I have also went back to VHS to record programs.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I apologize for being old and being challenged by having an inferior phone.

I found a way to attend ISU games this Fall - print them out.

I understand the hatred for me and people like me who have a tough time with this. I have been told I am stupid for many more decades than you. I win on longevity.

I have every single ticket stub from my time at Clyde Williams and the first Cyclone "New Stadium" (vs Air Force) in 1975.

I am sorry I am no longer valid as a Cyclone fan because I got old and stuck with them, donated tons of money, and have problems with tech tickets of late.

My solution was to simply print them out, and it works.
Did you really write a “poor me” because people told you that the app actually has a feature built specifically for the (very common) scenario that your phone doesn’t have connectivity at an event?

Because you created A BUNCH of straw men here as a response to people making valid points (even if they were less than friendly while doing so.)

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Where are you going in GPay to access your tickets? If you are accessing your cards/tickets from the upper right hand corner, you should not need any data. I just did it in airplane mode on my phone with no issue. At the first game I WAS having a data issue because I was trying to access them via the Ticketmaster button on the bottom - that is not the way to do it.

View attachment 90805

You are exactly right! Thank you so much for sharing that!!!!
That is the problem I have been having, going through the Ticketmaster button.

Reactions: Tailg8er

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I also don't love the idea of electronic tickets. It's fun to get the big envelope of shiny tickets in the mail. My kids liked looking at them all and (carefully) tearing them loose. It's also fun to find one in your center console some years later. "Oh that's the game when Jimmy came to the tailgate."

But i haven't had any technical difficulties. I do save them to my Google wallet beforehand. The worst part is the parking passes where you kinda have to unlock your phone while driving. But as long as you queue it up before leaving home, it's just a matter of unlocking the phone.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Main problem I have had is glare, scanner has to approach "read" from different directions.....Slows line down, so Kansas game just printed them at home, went right in, No glare problem.

Reactions: VeloClone

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I also get zero service at the lots/stadium, but had no issue pulling the tickets up in my phone's Google wallet... Those don't require internet/cell service.

Sounds like this is a case of old people not understanding technology. ISU sent multiple emails telling people to save your tickets to a wallet (free app on any carrier for those who don't know). Hell, John Walters even did a video step by step tutorial..
Not
What if you don't tailgate by your car? Or car-pooled with someone else. Just saying, you can be tech-literate and still run into an issue.

I think the option to print tickets or use them electronically works for everyone.
charge to full before you go, charge at tailgate, pull on low battery mode all day, close apps….this is not an age issue.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I saw a few people that had actual tickets, not printed at home tickets, not on their phone but good ol fashioned tickets. I have no idea where or how they got them, but when I seen them walking down the stairs looking for their seats checking their tickets I was curious how they got them.

Anyone know? If you contacted the ticket office and said you had no way to do it electronically did they still send them? Could these be some type of give away tickets that needed to be physical tickets?
I just was surprised to see them.
Walk up purchases?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Walk up purchases?
Not for sold out games, I would not think. But no idea. Only thing I can think is they were for give aways or something like that. Obviously, if you are giving away a prize ticket to a game not having actual tickets makes it difficult, so maybe they still have them for those types of things. But that is only a guess.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I regret starting this thread. I did not know there would be so much hatred for people who were technologically challenged. Have a good life, folks.

Meh, lots of people like to rag on others. Just ignore them. I print my tickets out at home just because it seems easier to me. My phone is not current enough for mobile tickets.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron