Pride Month DYK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
nope. but you're obviously responding in this thread so why haven't, you know, given your thoughts on the topic?

If people want to believe in something, or act in a certain way, they have every right to do so.

ISUgrad22

Jun 1, 2023
Did this last year with some solid success until unfortunate responses got it locked. But it was a great thread for a week. So trying again knowing the same may happen.

What is Pride Month?
Pride Month is a time for the LGBTQIA+ community and allies to come together in celebration, solidarity, activism, reflection, and support of all LGBTQIA+ people (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual).

While a Pride Parade or Pride March are often part of Pride celebrations, there’s more to this holiday than parades. Pride can be a meaningful time to learn about the historical and present struggles and exclusion of LGBTQIA+ people.

How did Pride begin?
Pride originated as a celebration of the one-year anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising (sometimes called the Stonewall Riots). In the early hours of June 28, 1969, police conducted a raid on a gay bar called the Stonewall Inn in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City.

Unfortunately, during this time, being gay was a criminal offense. In fact, it was illegal to serve alcohol to a gay person until 1966. Raids on gay bars were standard procedure, but this raid would go down in history as the birth of the Pride movement.

Led by courageous transwomen, people at the Stonewall Inn protested the raid, leading to a six-day-long resistance. By just the second evening, thousands of protestors had gathered. Confrontation, violence, and escalation ensued for nearly a week. In the aftermath of Stonewall, many people became more engaged in activism and advocating for the equal treatment for LGBT people.

The first Pride march was held one year later, on June 28, 1970.

When did Pride Month begin?
The federal government first recognized the month in 1999 when President Bill Clinton declared June “Gay & Lesbian Pride Month.” In 2009, President Barack Obama declared June LGBT Pride Month.

The largest pride parade is in Sao Paulo, Brazil
The Guinness Book of World Records named Sao Paulo's parade the largest Gay Pride celebration in the world in 2006, with 2.5 million attendees. They haven’t lost that title since and the parade gets bigger every year.

Midwest Pride
Minneapolis has one of the most attended Pride festivals in the country with 500,000+ showing up at the parade along Hennepin Ave. downtown. P.S...it's fun as hell with tailgating and all.

The Pentagon celebrates Pride​

That’s right. One of the most secure places in the US takes time aside to celebrate the month of Pride. Their first Pride event was held in 2012.

Pride Language Glossary
Language is ever-evolving – and that’s a good thing! Below, I am sharing a brief glossary of a few commonly-used words related to Pride Month.

• LGBTQIA: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer & Questioning, Intersex, Asexual & Agender
  • Queer: Once used an an insult, “queer” has been reclaimed as a descriptive adjective that many people use proudly. The dictionary definition of queer as “strange; odd” is becoming much less common and can be demeaning to people who identify their sexual orientation as “queer.”
  • Cisgender: Sometimes referred to as “cis,” a cisgender person is someone who identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth.
  • Transgender / Trans: A transgender or trans person is someone whose gender identity does not align with the gender they were assigned at birth. Trans people may or may not take steps to transition.
Pride Flag FYI
The Rainbow Flag, the international symbol of LGBTQ+ community, was designed by Gilbert Baker in 1978. It used to be comprised of 8 colors, which were later cut down to six - red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet (removing hot pink and integrating turquoise and indigo into royal blue).

Every color on the flag has its meaning:

• Red = life
  • Orange = healing
  • Yellow = sunlight
  • Green = nature
  • Blue = harmony
  • Violet = spirit
LGBTQIA+ Famous Quotes:
  • "It takes no compromise to give people their rights ... it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression." - Harvey Milk
  • "There’s nothing wrong with you. There’s a lot wrong with the world you live in." - Chris Colfer
  • "I think being gay is a blessing, and it's something I am thankful for every single day.' - Anderson Cooper
  • "When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free." - Barack Obama
  • "This world would be a whole lot better if we just made an effort to be less horrible to one another." - Elliot Page
  • "It still strikes me as strange that anyone could have any moral objection to someone else’s sexuality. It’s like telling someone else how to clean their house." - River Phoenix
  • "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those matter don’t mind." - Dr. Seuss
Could you explain when someone says they want to be referred as “she/they” it’s really confusing

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
"I DoN't HaVe PrOnOuNs"

"Sir, do you know anything about how language works"
Yeah it's the people who make "not having pronouns" a personality trait that are hilarious.

Also it's quite concerning how much anti-LGBT stuff on social media has just taken off over the last year, you'd think most of the country would be past silly stuff like that.... apparently not.
Just live and let live man

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I never have said it bothers me. It’s hilarious to watch people just make this all up all the sudden cause it’s trendy, yet even people here aren’t sure what to use and need paragraphs to explain what they think is correct. Its nonsense
Language is malleable. Always has been. Always will be. Words are powerful and can be liberating.

Also it's not a trend. Gender nonconforming people have existed since ancient times.

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
It’s fine that you want to do that, but isn’t the expectation that I participate? Not going to happen.
Participate in what? When I speak to someone I address them with pronouns. If someone corrected me and said they would prefer to be referred to as a different pronoun I would oblige, but you would not? That just seems rude at the very least.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You said you don't know if anyone is against Pride month then claim a large percentage of the country is against Pride month. It's a confusing statement.

I said I personally have no idea why people are against it. Clearly others think differently than I do.

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
You address someone by pronouns? I think most times I guess I address someone by name. I never have to say “hey, girl”
Is "you" not a pronoun? You are trying to derail here so I am going to bring it back. Let's say you are in a group of people having a conversation and you refer to someone as "she" and they say actually it is "he". You would keep calling them "she"?

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
You address someone by pronouns? I think most times I guess I address someone by name. I never have to say “hey, girl”
Addressing someone by name is technically correct grammar, but it tends to get repetitive. We have 3rd person pronouns to refer to someone in a different way. Isn't language great.

In case you don't get it, the below is completely correct grammatically, but it doesn't read well, does it?

Dave played some golf with me yesterday. Dave had a few too many beers, so Dave kept shanking every shot. I even had to drive Dave home afterwards. Dave's wife wasn't very happy when I dropped Dave off. I think Dave is going to be in the doghouse for a while. Dave will probably have to miss next week's tee time because of this.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
On an individual level, its not a belief. On a macro level, the movement itself, and the agenda behind it certainly fits the definition of a cult.
D9MuXdgWwAcHE40.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Addressing someone by name is technically correct grammar, but it tends to get repetitive. We have 3rd person pronouns to refer to someone in a different way. Isn't language great.

In case you don't get it, the below is completely correct grammatically, but it doesn't read well, does it?

Dave played some golf with me yesterday. Dave had a few too many beers, so Dave kept shanking every shot. I even had to drive Dave home afterwards. Dave's wife wasn't very happy when I dropped Dave off. I think Dave is going to be in the doghouse for a while. Dave will probably have to miss next week's tee time because of this.
I have never met one that I am aware of, but some people ask to not be called by pronouns but instead exclusively by their name. Yes it is very uncomfortable for us since we use pronouns so universally. It feels very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.