PREDICTIONS: Iowa State vs. Kansas

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
43-13 ISU. KU's defense can't stop anything and their offense will turn the ball over multiple times to make it even easier to score on them. Their lone running threat is hurt, if he even plays tomorrow. Both QBs have no run threat. Their passing stats have gone way down against Big 12 teams compared to the non-con.

KU is bad. And they suck.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I think the weather slows both offenses a bit and leads to a turnover heavy game. ISU holds off a KU team with nothing to lose by a 31-23 margin. We are much improved but not so much that we can avoid a hangover from a big win...and not struggle some against a lesser conference opponent. A win is a win in this game...margin of victory matters less than having the ability to bring your "B" game and still pull out the victory.

• Agree
Reactions: ViktorLuzor

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think the weather slows both offenses a bit and leads to a turnover heavy game. ISU holds off a KU team with nothing to lose by a 31-23 margin. We are much improved but not so much that we can avoid a hangover from a big win...and not struggle some against a lesser conference opponent. A win is a win in this game...margin of victory matters less than having the ability to bring your "B" game and still pull out the victory.

You could be right. They might be in for a letdown after the high of last week. But the reason I doubt that will happen is that Campbell started setting the tone for this week before the team plane even landed. He knew right away that they can't afford to give back that momentum with a clunker against a lesser opponent. I think they're going to come out sharp and focused from the get-go. The trick after that will be maintaining intensity. It wouldn't surprise me if they jump out to a two or three score lead and maybe take their foot off the gas a little. I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see them control the game wire to wire. They have yet to put together a complete game with no lulls or droughts, and this week is as good as any to fix that.

• Agree
Reactions: mbest

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
My detached, grounded and rational self predicts ISU to win as they show they can handle success.

But I am a lifelong Cyclone so my fear prediction is that ISU is overwhelmed and shutout by KU's offense and defense. We spend the rest of the season kicking ourselves in the nuts to ease the neverending pain of being Cyclones and then we all die.
Final score:
Jayhawks: 5
Cyclones: 0

That would be bad. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Fyi...we're talking football, not the imaginary baseball team ISU has.

• Creative
Reactions: SCyclone

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
ISU sticks to the ground game in the wet weather. This is the first game we see Warren get more than 100yds. Montgomery and warren are going to pound town with the Kansas defense. They key is keeping KU out of the redzone, where they are highly effective.

Wet Game
ISU 34
KU 28

Dry/Semi wet game
ISU 42
KU 15

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
tDbvVIA.gif

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
You could be right. They might be in for a letdown after the high of last week. But the reason I doubt that will happen is that Campbell started setting the tone for this week before the team plane even landed. He knew right away that they can't afford to give back that momentum with a clunker against a lesser opponent. I think they're going to come out sharp and focused from the get-go. The trick after that will be maintaining intensity. It wouldn't surprise me if they jump out to a two or three score lead and maybe take their foot off the gas a little. I hope that's not the case. I'd love to see them control the game wire to wire. They have yet to put together a complete game with no lulls or droughts, and this week is as good as any to fix that.

There is a part of me that completely agrees with your assessment...the logical part. And then there's the 45 year Cyclone fan in me that expects the bottom to fall out every time we even approach some sort of success. That's the irrational-pessimistic-terrified-shellshocked-old school Cyclone in me talking.

I must admit, I remember the Earle Bruce years...and a bit of the Johnny Majors era...and those felt SO different from the ensuing 35 years. This feels like that...but my Cyclone heart isn't quite ready to fully believe.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
There is a part of me that completely agrees with your assessment...the logical part. And then there's the 45 year Cyclone fan in me that expects the bottom to fall out every time we even approach some sort of success. That's the irrational-pessimistic-terrified-shellshocked-old school Cyclone in me talking.

I must admit, I remember the Earle Bruce years...and a bit of the Johnny Majors era...and those felt SO different from the ensuing 35 years. This feels like that...but my Cyclone heart isn't quite ready to fully believe.

Sure, I get it. Cyclone fans carry a ton of baggage. It's a good thing the players have bought all the way into the expect to win every game mentality, because it might take us fans a little while longer.

• Agree
Reactions: ViktorLuzor

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA

I fully believe. I'm feeling as confident going into this game as Oklahoma fans felt going into the game last weekend. Just hope I'm feeling better than Oklahoma fans after the game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Perhaps the unspoken fact on our side is that this game is really one that our team looks at and sees a win that has to be had. KU may have appeared competitive with WVU because WVU wasn't really placing any importance in the game. It was an expected win. We're too new to this to expect anything.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
31-17 Clones roll. Lanning with a sack and a TD this game. Lazard and Butler over 100. Montgomery 175 total yards.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm suspecting a medium sized letdown. Not a loss, but I could see a 31 - 17 type of win.

I could also see 45 - 9 type of game, but I'm not bold enough to predict that!

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

Help Support Us

Become a patron