Pre-Memorial Day Hoiberg NBA Update

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
This is killing recruiting, we will pay two three years down the road. Unless Fred is still not feeling well, he owes everyone at least a comment

DesignerClone

Dec 13, 2014
If this whole process has shown me anything is that Fred is turning into this in many people's eyes:

tumblr_nnolw4r9Fu1ust20uo1_500.gif

And, unfortunately, I'll have to agree. The longer this drags out, the worse Fred looks. A few months ago, he could do no wrong in everyone's eyes. Today, the disillusionment within the fanbase keeps growing and growing. Only a long term commitment will redeem him at this point.

This. And then this again. Soil our britches, wash, spin, dry, repeat...soil our britches, wash, spin, dry, repeat...

Last edited:

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
This is killing recruiting, we will pay two three years down the road. Unless Fred is still not feeling well, he owes everyone at least a comment

Not sure why this has an impact on where they decide to play out of HS before transferring here...

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Here’s where we stand going in to the holiday weekend (check my posts over the past week for more depth on some of these items) – and note that all of this is very fluid, continues to change, but is based on multiple sources…

1. No formal decision has been made.
  2. What I posted early yesterday with regards to a possible reversal of momentum continues to hold true.
  3. The T’Wolves continue to be a big factor in the decision making.
  4. While money is not the reason Fred would leave, it is always a factor.
  5. Jamie has reached out to a subset of donors regarding possible monetary offers.
  6. Many donors I've spoken to don't want to pony up a lot of money just to have an “in principle†agreement in place for Fred to take over the T’Wolves next year, they want a commitment.
  7. Very few want to simply prolong the inevitable with the possible repercussions of a “lame-duck†coach, though a few seem fine with “one more yearâ€.
  8. While many donors would request a large increase in the NBA buyout clause of Fred’s contract ($4-5 mil), I hear that there is a lot of reluctance within the AD to even propose that to Fred.
  9. Much has been suggested about a possible rift between Fred and Jamie, but that is being overblown by some. They have disagreements and different styles, but no more or less than any other successful coach/AD combo.
  10. The door is not shut on Fred/ISU, I still see some scenarios where he comes back for 1 year (i.e. T’Wolves for ’16-‘17), though very few scenarios where he comes back for 2 or more years.
  11. Some are leery of a strong push for Hornacek due to past tension between him and other players, coaches, donors. This would be interesting to see unfold moving forward.
  12. Naturally, JP has a short list to move forward with if Fred leaves and it’s said that there may be a few surprises on that list not currently being discussed, for better or worse.

A couple other points…

1. You are and will continue to hear a lot of things leak that benefit one or more parties – that’s the nature of this business.
  2. I have never and will never post something that is, or I believe is, propaganda to push an agenda.
  3. I have not and will not just throw **** out there. If I post something, it’s because 2 or more trusted sources state it and I feel it’s legit. Things change and the business world we live in is dynamic and fluid, everybody has been and will be wrong at one time or another.
  4. I have been wrong in the past and I will be wrong in the future. That doesn't mean what was posted wasn't true at the time. Much of what goes on behind the scenes will never be publicly shared, even if it would help some of us look better if it was.
  5. I get no financial kickback or incentive for sharing anything, so if you have problems with what I post, too bad:)

How long before local media are running with this but attributing it to their "sources"? For those who listen to Marty and Miller, I bet Marty tries to pass it off as his insider info.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
It's unnerving how some of his biggest fans are now "losing respect" for him or feeling his legacy is "tarnished" because he's not said anything.

People here are acting like he owes it to any of us to say something.

When some of you actually get jobs, let me know how much you announce your potential departure, if in fact there even is one, to everyone around you? Would you share it with all?

IF there is no thought for him to leave, does he have to say something one way or another? I mean, for God's sake, he's still the coach.

AND, if he does leave, are you going to lose respect for him? Seriously, how many of you have left jobs for opportunities you and your family felt were better for you and not for the "company"?

IDK, I'm a bit bothered by some of you who are getting angry with him. He's the hero as long as it's going well and now you'll think less of him based on nothing more than speculation?

Very strange IMO.

I hope Fred does what he feels is best. For some reason, we were all ok with that the past 5 years.

CyRann22

May 12, 2015
Omaha
It's unnerving how some of his biggest fans are now "losing respect" for him or feeling his legacy is "tarnished" because he's not said anything.

When some of you actually get jobs, let me know how much you announce your potential departure, if in fact there even is one, to everyone around you? Would you share it with all?

IF there is no thought for him to leave, does he have to say something one way or another? I mean, for God's sake, he's still the coach.

AND, if he does leave, are you going to lose respect for him? Seriously, how many of you have left jobs for opportunities you and your family felt were better for you and not for the "company"?

IDK, I'm a bit bothered by some of you who are getting angry with him. He's the hero as long as it's going well and now you'll think less of him based on nothing more than speculation?

Very strange IMO.

I hope Fred does what he feels is best. For some reason, we were all ok with that the past 5 years.

I think its the "one year more" rumor that has people bothered more than anything.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I've left a job and understood quite well that a lot of people were going to be upset about it. I am sure Fred knows this too. It just shows people care. If they didn't care there wouldn't be hurt feelings.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Leave it to ISU to deliver the biggest kick to the stones in the most protracted way possible. Its almost poetic our "chosen one" is the one to deliver the most painful nut kick of all.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I've left a job and understood quite well that a lot of people were going to be upset about it. I am sure Fred knows this too. It just shows people care. If they didn't care there wouldn't be hurt feelings.

exactly...and my guess is that until you made your decision and had all of your information, you didn't say a word. And, I'm betting you hoped those involved would understand...and not resent you. Not saying they may not, but that you would hope those professed to be your "friends" would see through the disappointment.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

Very strange IMO.

How does he not owe us something? If he wasn't for ISU how is he even considered for a head coaching spot in the NBA?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Why is it so hard to understand for some that you can be mad at someone for something they do but still like and root for that person after its all said and done.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

He does. We pay his salary.

One of my favorite stupid analogies. I don't have thousands of people emotionally invested in me.

So those newspaper headlines are all false?

No way. Will always love Fred. Hope he kills it in the Association. Again with the stupid my job is the same thing as Fred's...

Who's angry?

Very strange IMO.

And I hope he stays...because I'm an ISU fan. When did it become OK to show zero emotion about a giant crater getting left in the program?

ForeClones

Mar 12, 2012
Johnston, IA
I think some may to revisit the definition of the word "owe". What exactly does Fred owe to us? Has he borrowed from us? Have we as fans done something for him personally? Quite the contrary IMO. I want Fred here until he retires. I think he is leaving. I know nothing. Actually, I do know something. I will be a Clone Fan regardless. Lastly, I wish we were decent at football, so we had that to talk about!

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Well I guess if nothing else I can at least trust my aunt and the rumors she hears working for the athletic department. He is gone either way after next year so might as well go now as no one wants to play for a coach in that situation. In the end this just destroys his legacy as the Mayor and golden boy imo.