Potential MBB/WBB conflict at Big 12 Tournament

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If ISU is the 4 seed (or is the 5 seed but wins the first round), the WBB team will play at 1:30 Wed and the MBB team at 2pm. In the past, the conference has shuffled games to avoid this: in 2009, they swapped times for the first two games of the WBB tournament so the KSU WBB and MBB teams didn't play at the same time. I'd expect something similar to happen here.

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Through what my limited knowledge from being in the band, we have "reserve" pep band members set up so if that happens we have enough people to split up and play at both games (NCAA only allows 30; if they play at the same time we'd bring in more students and have 2 bands of 20). From what I've gotten from that, it sounds like the games won't move.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That's too bad they won't move it.

But......the set up of the Big 12 tournements for both the men and women at the same time and in the same city is such a great thing. I have no idea why more conferences don't do it, but I hope they never change it. It's such a cool, cool thing.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Cool story bro. I was just using my only source of information, which has never mentioned anything that hinted that the games could potentially be shuffled.

I love the people on this board that write "cool story bro". Do all of you live in the same frat house? Since when did one statement become a story anyway? :SLEEP:

Reactions: VeloClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
There's always a possibility they won't move it because moving it would cause a conflict for a different school. I doubt they would swap an afternoon game and an evening game, but I also doubt they'd hesitate to swap the two morning games as long as swapping wouldn't also cause a conflict, especially since there is precedent for them doing it.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
But......the set up of the Big 12 tournements for both the men and women at the same time and in the same city is such a great thing. I have no idea why more conferences don't do it, but I hope they never change it. It's such a cool, cool thing.

If the Big 12 is still around in 2014, that year may see the two tournaments split. KC was awarded the MBB tourney through 2014 but the WBB tourney only through 2013. They apparently want to keep their options open for 2014.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
The pep band is essential part of the game experience. Everybody (player, coaches, fans, cheerleaders, band members) contributes to the success of our team!

So if we have a crappy season, we can blame the band?

I guess I'm very happy we had Gene Chizik around for two seasons. It took a national-champion caliber coach to make up for our band's deficiencies on the field.

/csb

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
If the Big 12 is still around in 2014, that year may see the two tournaments split. KC was awarded the MBB tourney through 2014 but the WBB tourney only through 2013. They apparently want to keep their options open for 2014.

I suspect that Texas is wanting something back. They now know they can't compete with KC for putting on and attendance at the men's tourney, but other than ISU and KSU the south schools own the women's game.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
There's always a possibility they won't move it because moving it would cause a conflict for a different school. I doubt they would swap an afternoon game and an evening game, but I also doubt they'd hesitate to swap the two morning games as long as swapping wouldn't also cause a conflict, especially since there is precedent for them doing it.

I would hope they do it considering the games would be between the same two schools. I already have my ticket for the men's session. Considering ISU is 2-0 vs KSU on the wbb side I would think the wbb advancing is almost a lock.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The last group I'm concerned about is the band....

You'd be surprised how much news makes it to the boards by way of the band.. as a group that tends to need to know some of the things going on in the ath. dept (events, etc), a lot has come through that way.

Reactions: jsmith86

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If they don't do it I would imagine it would have to do with timing. The first round games are set up so that the winning team plays at the same time the next round. That means that all teams avoid a short (shorter than a full day) turnaround. The second round games are scheduled so the higher seeds (assuming they advance!)have the advantage of their game being over before their two potential opponents play. They get about 3 extra hours of recovery over their next round opponents and their coaches can scout without having to worry about their game being next.

I had never heard of the Big 12 juggling tournament schedules for a school. Is it confirmed that this did indeed happen in the past? I couldn't find it anywhere.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I had never heard of the Big 12 juggling tournament schedules for a school. Is it confirmed that this did indeed happen in the past? I couldn't find it anywhere.

It happened in 2009. I knew it had happened, and I looked at old brackets until I found the right one.

2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Note the 5/12 game (KSU/CU) was played at 11:00 instead of the usual 1:30. That's because...

2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

...the KSU men played at 2pm that day.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It happened in 2009. I knew it had happened, and I looked at old brackets until I found the right one.

2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Note the 5/12 game (KSU/CU) was played at 11:00 instead of the usual 1:30. That's because...

2009 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

...the KSU men played at 2pm that day.

Cool. Well, I guess Jamie is going to have to get on the phone and start lobbying if the conflict for ISU materializes.

Thanks, mr ed/m red.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
The pep band is essential part of the game experience. Everybody (player, coaches, fans, cheerleaders, band members) contributes to the success of our team!

Schools don't invest in spirit activities without cause. The band is a large part of the reason that home court is such an advantage. The band is a huge part of the home court which for ISU translates well to Hilton South. Even Hilton is way different when we have high school bands substitute during breaks.