Possibly Midnight Madness?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
As much as I'd like to attend, it wont happen. At least not this year. I've heard ramblings from numerous administrators that they are concerned on attendance and taking away from football. They also think it would take away from the attendance of the first few non-conference games and exhibition.
Why would it take away from football in you have it on a day with no football game? Why would it take away from exhibition games and non-con games when it is a free event held a MONTH before games start?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Why would it take away from football in you have it on a day with no football game? Why would it take away from exhibition games and non-con games when it is a free event held a MONTH before games start?

Because for some inexplicable reason the AD thinks it would be a pain-in-the-*** to host such an event and these are convenient excuses for not doing it? I don't get it, it can't possibly be harder to host than Fanfest or things like that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Because for some inexplicable reason the AD thinks it would be a pain-in-the-*** to host such an event and these are convenient excuses for not doing it? I don't get it, it can't possibly be harder to host than Fanfest or things like that.

It's as easy as this:
1. "Hey, folks. Doors open at 5:30. Event starts at 6:30. Free admission."
2. Turn on the lights.
3. Basketball team does stuff. What kind of stuff doesn't really matter.
4. Fred talks a few minutes.
5. We all walk out giddy.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Nnnnoooooooooo!!!!!! You just did it. Now Tuco will do his usual search function for "Kansas" in the forum section and find this thread. I hope you're happy.

It's particularly awesome that these were back-to-back posts. Apparently 15 minutes is the period that tuco checks his query.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It's as easy as this:
1. "Hey, folks. Doors open at 5:30. Event starts at 6:30. Free admission."
2. Turn on the lights.
3. Basketball team does stuff. What kind of stuff doesn't really matter.
4. Fred talks a few minutes.
5. We all walk out giddy.

I for one can't wait for Abdel Nader's card tricks and Naz's interpretive dance number.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

Well, come on in... Since someone left the door wide open.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I wouldn't go out of my way to attend this, I am apparently in the minority.

And yes I am jacked for B-ball, just not for this.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
For people without tickets, this would be a good opportunity to see the players up close. Fred could have a free throw contest against some of the gal players too.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here's all they need:

1) Introductions/Player Intros
2) Dunk Contest
3) Three Point Contest
4) 20 minute scrimmage
5) 30 minute autograph session after.

Whole thing takes less than 2 hours in total.

Last edited:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I think avoiding a Friday would be a very smart idea. There would be a LOT of families that would attend a free event like this and most of them are at their local high school football's field on Friday nights.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Here's all they need:

2) Dunk Contest
3) Three Point Contest
4) 20 minute scrimmage
6) raffle for a free dinner with Fred

Who thing takes less than 2 hours in total.

Added one more thing for you that would make this a guaranteed success!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Here's all they need:

2) Dunk Contest
3) Three Point Contest
4) 20 minute scrimmage

Whole thing takes less than 2 hours in total.

Also, quick talk from Fred. Nothing fancy, just the standard "Thanks to all of you for coming out to support out guys. I hope we can count on your support all season long" is all it takes for us to be all excited with that dreamy voice.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I personally think Friday night would be awesome. The people who want to attend this will be there no matter what day it happens. If you are more concerned about a High School Football game then I would consider you as not wanting to be there.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
@TravisHines21: Official word this morning from Iowa State communications regarding the potential of midnight madness: There are no plans for it.

@TravisHines21: Interest in it from the program and, certainly, fans, so we'll see if that changes (in coming years). Been told it almost happened in '11.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I mean, there are reasons why a Friday nigh wouldn't be a great fit, but HS football doesn't move the needle that much, imo.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who couldn't attend for that reason alone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron