Positives From Exhibition

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Totally agree Adam, but my guess is that he (Ejim) won't be back for the Michigan or BYU games. So I guess would you rather have Naz or Monte getting the bulk of the minutes versus those teams?

Good question. I'd probably stick with Naz to start just because I think playing Kane at PG to start gives you a bigger mismatch with the other team. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Either way, I see Morris playing more minutes than Naz throughout the year.

I got a feeling that Ejim makes it back for the Michigan game. Nothing to base that off of, but just a guess.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I got a feeling that Ejim makes it back for the Michigan game. Nothing to base that off of, but just a guess.

I agree. I just have a hunch he'll demand to play in that game. It's encouraging that his injury doesn't seem as serious as previously thought.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Good question. I'd probably stick with Naz to start just because I think playing Kane at PG to start gives you a bigger mismatch with the other team. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Either way, I see Morris playing more minutes than Naz throughout the year.

Hoiberg did say he was ahead of schedule. It would really be something if he did, but that game is only 2 weeks away.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
I agree. I just have a hunch he'll demand to play in that game. It's encouraging that his injury doesn't seem as serious as previously thought.

I hyperextended my knee my senior year in HS playing pickup ball. I thought I tore everything in my knee when it happened. Was on crutches for a couple days and it was swollen. 2 weeks later and I was sore but ok. Ejim is a great athlete with great trainers so my guess is he makes it back faster than the 4-6 weeks.

CYcojoe

Jan 17, 2011
I was impressed with the defense played by Thomas and Morris. Both had good intensity and feel for the game, especially for freshmen.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Naz did a good job on the boards, but I didn't see the stellar defense everyone else did. He was okay, but I thought Morris looked better defensively. SDW made good rotations on defense and knocked down some shots. I like Naz. I just don't think he's as good as Thomas or SDW.

The Percy hate is weird to me. I'm not sure what people expect him to do. I didn't see any defensive breakdowns. I saw him rotate to help and block a shot. I saw him make two nice hook shots. I saw him pass out of a double team. I saw him clumsily throw up a bad shot on a drive. It seems to me he played well. We don't need him to stand out. We need him to eat minutes. He has shown he can do that.

If Percy isn't a Hall of Famer, then he stinks in people's minds. We have this stupid tradition of appointing one guy each season to beat on. For some reason, it's Percy now, even though he's never earned that spot.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I hyperextended my knee my senior year in HS playing pickup ball. I thought I tore everything in my knee when it happened. Was on crutches for a couple days and it was swollen. 2 weeks later and I was sore but ok. Ejim is a great athlete with great trainers so my guess is he makes it back faster than the 4-6 weeks.

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Horrible feeling when it happens. The hyperextension hurt like crazy when it happened, the bone bruises for me took forever to heal up (still hurts a little when walking a lot, less than when I run which is odd to me). However, that is simply pain and can be played through and if he is already moving it around well that bodes well for his recovery.

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013
Once Thomas got going, he was very good. Solid Hilton debut for Kane, Thomas, and Morris. 1st half was atrocious, free throws kept us in this game during the first half. Niang in the first half looked like he was confused, he did a great job setting up plays in the second half however.

Crowd/student section was kinda disappointing, but it was an exhibition game so I guess that is expected.

Overall great game with a solid beginning in the second half. 1st half and ending was terrible, but glad to see all the players scored. Always awesome seeing Ellerman score. Definitely wished we had Ejim and Bubu, would of helped a lot in the first half.

Last edited:

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
If Percy isn't a Hall of Famer, then he stinks in people's minds. We have this stupid tradition of appointing one guy each season to beat on. For some reason, it's Percy now, even though he's never earned that spot.

Absolutely correct.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
We'll be lucky to keep Morris for all 4 years. I think he'll probably go pro after 3. Has a chance to be the next Tinsley.

DrShekelstein

Jul 30, 2013
Was Kane injured or just doing stretches? I saw him on the ground laying on his back at the bench after he took a dive for a ball in the second half.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I thought it was a good overall game. At no point was I worried, even when they were down by 9 points late in the 1st half, so I'm glad it worked out.

I think we have 6 guys that would start on a lot of B12 teams... Kane, Morris, Thomas, Hogue, Niang, & Ejim.
& 3 others that won't make me want to pull my hair out ... Naz, SDW, & Percy.
So I think we're going to have another exciting team this year. Hopefully they'll gel sooner rather than later and we'll win some of the big non-cons that we have missed out on the last couple of years.

Also, I just want to say that I couldn't be more excited for Morris and Thomas. I realize they will have off nights this year, but they are going to flat out embarrass teams when they get older.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Morris and Thomas are going to be big time. Kane is going to be a mismatch for a ton of teams this year. Also, Hogue is a nice solid addition to this team.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We'll be lucky to keep Morris for all 4 years. I think he'll probably go pro after 3. Has a chance to be the next Tinsley.
I disagree. He looks like the prototypical 4 year college guy to me. I couldn't be happier about it. There's no downside of me being wrong.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
My take is that at this early time of the season.....this group would beat last year's team. We have some serious team speed. Loved the spacing and the passing. The shots will fall. They will have growing pains...but this group has the potential to be very, very good.