Positive *Informative* Covid News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
The vaccine ready by November kinda weirds me out. Good news though I suppose.

Side note. This thread is awesome. Some interesting links posted with great, respectful discussion.

Sane link posted in the Cave and it turns into a bloodbath.

Nice work everyone!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The vaccine ready by November kinda weirds me out. Good news though I suppose.

Side note. This thread is awesome. Some interesting links posted with great, respectful discussion.

Sane link posted in the Cave and it turns into a bloodbath.

Nice work everyone!

If it were a singular vaccine that were available as others were being rejected, I may be more worried. But with multiple vaccine candidates showing to be successful and safe does make me feel better that the weakened virus isn't showing to be an issue.

Reactions: kcbob79clone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I think they'll keep promising it early, but wont actually have it until some time in 2021.
In March 2020, an infectious disease expert (professor and epidemiologist Michael Osterholm from the Univ. of Minnesota) was on the JRE podcast and said "Realistically, we're years out from a safe and effective vaccine." He referenced the Zika virus, which five years later still does not have a vaccine. "We can make a vaccine for the virus overnight, but the problem is we don't know how safe and effective it will be."

Reactions: isutrevman

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Just got off a virtual town hall with some Mayo Clinic Drs and the virologist seems skeptical as to how effective the initial vaccines will be. Anything is somewhat good, but the possibility of a 10% effective would have the possibility of giving people a false sense of security actually making matters worse.

kcbob79clone

• Dumb
Reactions: simply1

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yes there are a lot of help wanted signs. But most are for high risk (Covid risk) and low paying jobs. You're not seeing the same need in office jobs with decent pay.

So I guess what's the solution? Should people be putting themselves at risk for $12.00 an hour? All while you have people going out of their way to bypass mask requirements to make a statement which further outs these people at risk.

Just seems like an easy argument to make for those working outside the service industry to complain about the unemployment benefits.

Not all jobs are low paying that are out there, most any concrete delivery place has a sign out for drivers and those are almost always listed at $20/hr.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Just got off a virtual town hall with some Mayo Clinic Drs and the virologist seems skeptical as to how effective the initial vaccines will be. Anything is somewhat good, but the possibility of a 10% effective would have the possibility of giving people a false sense of security actually making matters worse.

A 10% effective vaccine wouldn't be approved. Faucci has mentioned before that it would need to be over 50% to get approved.

• Informative
Reactions: cygrads

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
In March 2020, an infectious disease expert (professor and epidemiologist Michael Osterholm from the Univ. of Minnesota) was on the JRE podcast and said "Realistically, we're years out from a safe and effective vaccine." He referenced the Zika virus, which five years later still does not have a vaccine. "We can make a vaccine for the virus overnight, but the problem is we don't know how safe and effective it will be."
You should check out his more recent material, he is actually much more confident in an earlier vaccine now. He is the director of CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota, and does a weekly podcast. I highly recommend the podcast, as he stays factual and scientific, and tries to keep out of wading into the politics.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I follow Dr. Osterholm very closely as he's honest and doesn't beat around the bush with his comments. He has a regular podcast for those interested that is 100% COVID focused.

I listened to his interview on JRE a couple times now. He went on to say that, basically, even after a Phase 3 trial, you're just not going to have data for every age group, demographic, etc, to cover all your bases for side effects. It's certainly a trade-off that we are making to get to a vaccine to help the most people as quickly as possible, while being as safe as we can.
You should check out his more recent material, he is actually much more confident in an earlier vaccine now. He is the director of CIDRAP at the University of Minnesota, and does a weekly podcast. I highly recommend the podcast, as he stays factual and scientific, and tries to keep out of wading into the politics.

I second this. I follow Dr Osterholm fairly closely. He’s very transparent and doesn’t beat around the bush. Like many studying the virus, his views have changed as he learned more. In fact, in that JRE episode, he kind of poo-pops the mask idea. Of course he’s changed his views on that since then.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny

It has gone better in Iowa schools, at least the ones I've been paying attention to, than I had thought it would. I think the mitigation efforts are working. Hopefully people realize that it is because of these efforts we are seeing the positive outcomes and not that the virus isn't as big of a concern as the experts thought.

I think the structured contact tracing and subsequent quarantine protocols the schools have put in place are more rigid than what people were doing in the summer since then it was more of recommendation than a requirement.

Of course, things can change quickly. We aren't really driving cases down, but there isn't exponential growth right now.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Encouraging stat on young people.

FYI this model only holds if schools are will to shutdown to limit the spread of the virus.

Note: We currently do not explicitly model school reopenings. This is a situation we will continue to monitor. We believe it is possible that we will see an increase in infections due to school reopenings, but it is unclear to what extent this will translate to deaths. Furthermore, unlike state reopenings, schools have shown a willingness to shut down after the initial instances of an outbreak. This limits the potential for exponential growth that are typically needed to sustain a large outbreak.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I follow Dr. Osterholm very closely as he's honest and doesn't beat around the bush with his comments....

I second this. I follow Dr Osterholm fairly closely. He’s very transparent and doesn’t beat around the bush......

I worked with this guy and I would beg to differ. His science is not always sound and he has one of the biggest egos in the state of Minnesota.
One of my favorite Dr. O proclamations-- pasteurization does not kill salmonella.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I worked with this guy and I would beg to differ. His science is not always sound and he has one of the biggest egos in the state of Minnesota.
One of my favorite Dr. O proclamations-- pasteurization does not kill salmonella.

Interesting to hear an insiders take. I, of course, am just a layman. I do appreciate you sharing that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.