Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'm kind of suprised that Texas is at only 18. You'd think with their budget they'd have more Olympic sports.

Gotta have someone to compete against, and if the rest of the conference doesnt have the sport that makes it a bit more of a hassle, especially for something that doesnt generate money.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Hilton was packed in the 70's because we were winning and competing for national titles. Yes there are fewer wrestling programs, but that's making for more good programs and more programs competing for top 10 finishes. It's not just Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Oky State any more like it was years ago, so I think it's creating more interest in collegiate wrestling in more places.

Indeed - this year's NCAA's at Philadelphia set an all-time attendance record.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I don't know the whole story as to why cael left. However, no matter what school you go to. Football will be king, basketball second, and everything else is next. Penn St. may have built a new facility just for wrestling, but it doesn't mean he is going to get more resources until football and basketball are taken care of first. So in my opinion, the only reason why he left was for more money and an athletic department with more money.
+100

dbqhawk

Dec 3, 2009
Anyone still doubt the high quality of our AD? Two of his hires have now won National Championships. Granted, not with ISU, but unless you're going to blame him for the respective departures, I think it shows his ability to evaluate top notch coaching talent.

Granted, no one is perfect but that is Creighton's problem now.

Iowa hired a former "national coach of the year" in TL. He never worked out at Iowa. A great coach at one school might not be a great coach at another school. But you never know.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
We suck and the wrestling community needs a fall guy. At the NCAA level, it is a dying sport......any futurist can see that. Look at the number of schools who have already gotten out and those that continue to get out. I remember going to meets in the 70s when Hilton was near capacity for wrestling but those days are long gone and they are not coming back.

hay rebeca were you at Hilton, the night that they introduced Chris Taylor before the Iowa meet ?

Ol' Chris Taylor Brought Down the House, it really was great theatre...

That was also the night I talked to Earle Bruce (1976) and thanked him for the great football season and then Earle told me that ISU was gonna close in the South End Zone....

I noticed that still hasnt been done yet.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Iowa hired a former "national coach of the year" in TL. He never worked out at Iowa. A great coach at one school might not be a great coach at another school. But you never know.

I don't equate winning Nat coach of the year with winning a national championship. The latter would be a much more exclusive group.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We're hardly out of line for the big 12, especially when you take out the big money of OU\UT\TAMU and compare to others on closer to our budget.

From some quick wikipedia research..
KSU- 14
Mizzou- 18
Kansas- 16
ISU- 16
OSU- 16
TTU- 15
Baylor- 16
Texas- 18
TAMU- 18
OU- 19

However, ISU is WAY out of line with the rest of the Big 12 regarding our facilites and funding for most non-revenue sports.
Our new track/soccer/softball facility that will soon be constructed is nothing fancy, but at least it's a start. At least they'll be Div. I standards, intstead of our current high school-level soccer and softball fields.
I understand next up is a planned indoor campus tennis complex. That's also sorely needed.
If we don't want to build decent venues for all sports offered, the Big 12 should kick us out.

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
I certainly hope everyone taking the time to have p*****g contests back & forth on here (about money, funding, what sports to keep/cut, how poor little ISU has such a meager budget compared to it's BIGXII brethren) are ALL donors of at least the Athletic Department, if not to the individual sports non-profit clubs as well.

If not, I'd say quit your b*****n & start forking over some cash.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I certainly hope everyone taking the time to have p*****g contests back & forth on here (about money, funding, what sports to keep/cut, how poor little ISU has such a meager budget compared to it's BIGXII brethren) are ALL donors of at least the Athletic Department, if not to the individual sports non-profit clubs as well.

I can sense just the slightest hint…just a hint... of frustration in your comment. ;)

I understand that many individuals may not be in a position to donate and can only afford season tickets for their sport(s) of choice). Others - can't afford either, and thus try and catch a game here and there. Finally, some can't afford any direct $$ involvement at this time at any level given current financial situation.

That said, my frustration lies with individuals (regardless of where they fall on the financial giving spectrum) that seemingly have zero clue:

1) where ISU stands financially in the Big 12 (i.e.…ranking of size of athletic budget in comparison to others -- hint, we are w a a y y y towards the bottom) and thus in respect to other BCS school in general
2) which sports provide positive revenue compared to those that are a drain HINT: only two sports add to budget and #1 is about 90% of that positive cashflow
3) given items 1) and 2), how critical it is we do everything possible to enhance the revenue generating sports so that hopefully we can someday increase the size of the athletic budget as a whole which in turn benefits all sports. Likewise, how short-sighted it is to swap or delay enhancements for $$generating sports in favor of those that drain the budget.

What this means? If you care about ISU athletics in general or a particular sport (which may not be FB or men's BB) and want them to have financial resources needed to be more competitive, then accept the truths from above, do what you can financially to improve the situation, and finally…quit burning negative energy suggesting otherwise. One example: talking about financially competing head-to-head with Penn State on a revenue losing sport like wrestling (when our revenue generating sports still have obvious needs in comparison to peers) completely ignores the differences/realities in our financial resources of the two schools and more importantly, the 3 items listed above.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

I didn't know that those only with money are the ones only allowed to have an opinion.

As a current student, how much should I be forking over? I mean, because the cash is just bursting out of my back pocket.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Or, you could look at it as him hiring a coach with one of the worst winning percentages in our less than stellar football history and hiring one of the legends in the sport who happened to attend our university who was known to be a recruiting monster. I don't blame him for Cael leaving, that was out of his control. Cael was a great hire if a no-brainer. IMO any AD with any brain would have done that.

He did hire Chizik, and I assumed they discussed who he would bring in as coordinators. And since his choice was to go with his fishing buddies, which proved to be a disaster, shows me that he hired a guy with no clue who to coach at this level. Granted he went on to win using what he learned here. However the learning here was painful and we got NO benefit from it. I'm sorry but I fail to see how Chizik is any sort of feather in the cap of Pollard.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009

I don't equate winning Nat coach of the year with winning a national championship. The latter would be a much more exclusive group.

I don't think you addressed the point made in dbqhawk's post. Gene Chizik could win 20 more National Championships, it still wouldn't make him a good hire for Iowa State. He won 5 games in 2 years here. He lost to the likes of UNI, Toledo, Kent State and UNLV. He was a bad coach for Iowa State. His 2 years here hurt the program.

Hiring Cael was good, but imo, wasn't some monumental feat. He wrestled here, he was already employed here, and we are a traditional power in his sport.

I am not a "Pollard-hater" as I'm sure some would label me after reading this post, but patting him on the back for hiring and then losing two coaches who went on to win championships at other schools makes very little sense to me. Talk to me when one of his hires wins a National Championship at ISU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron