Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Anyone still doubt the high quality of our AD? Two of his hires have now won National Championships. Granted, not with ISU, but unless you're going to blame him for the respective departures, I think it shows his ability to evaluate top notch coaching talent.

Granted, no one is perfect but that is Creighton's problem now.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Agreed.

But, an argument can easily be made that he simply went with the "sexy" hires at the time.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
It's true. Both were good hires. I still hate them both for leaving us, but not much we can do about it now.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Anyone still doubt the high quality of our AD? Two of his hires have now won National Championships. Granted, not with ISU, but unless you're going to blame him for the respective departures, I think it shows his ability to evaluate top notch coaching talent.

He also drove one off by not giving much thought into giving wrestling the money and facilities it deserves at ISU.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Of course JP is a solid AD. I'm not pleased with how our men's basketball program was crumbling under his watch but that's just me.

I was on board with Chizik. I still feel he would have had success here after he fired his buddy coordinators.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Agreed.

But, an argument can easily be made that he simply went with the "sexy" hires at the time.

I'm not sure what that means...considering they both proved to be more than just "sexy" hires. They were legit, big-time coaches that have reached levels reserved for just the best of the best.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

Until those national championships are won at Iowa State, hiring Chizik and Sanderson do not add to the quality of Jamie Pollard.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
What? When he left Cael was the highest paid coach in the country! ISU gives plenty to wrestling, maybe more than it deserves.

Than why can Cael go win a national title in 2 years at a school that hasnt won one in 60. He never could get the athletes to Ames for whatever reason.

I do feel Cael is better off not being in Iowa's shadow. He doesnt have to compete and lose the best wrestlers in the state to a for whatever reason bigger name coach.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
What? When he left Cael was the highest paid coach in the country! ISU gives plenty to wrestling, maybe more than it deserves.
And when every other coach talked to him about staying here there was no time to make a counter-offer to what PSU had? And saying that building a wrestling facility was out of the question or not possible when all he was looking for was support for the program? yea, those are outlandish assumptions and requests to make when you bring ISU the first wrestling championships it's had in a long time.

If he wanted to keep Cael or had respect for the program, he would have done one of two things: 1, made a counter offer; or 2, said that he would work on upgrading the wrestling facilities.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
And when every other coach talked to him about staying here there was no time to make a counter-offer to what PSU had? And saying that building a wrestling facility was out of the question or not possible when all he was looking for was support for the program? yea, those are outlandish assumptions and requests to make when you bring ISU the first wrestling championships it's had in a long time.

If he wanted to keep Cael or had respect for the program, he would have done one of two things: 1, made a counter offer; or 2, said that he would work on upgrading the wrestling facilities.

Where was the $$$$ going to come from?

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
And the money for the new scoreboard and bowling in the endzone are coming from where?

You ask, and appropriate funds right, things can be done.

Maybe why Cael wasn't seeing it. Trice got their renovations and before any talk of money into the wrestling program more talk of further football improvements came.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Creating a jumping pad for good coaches isn't exactly a feather in your cap either.

So you're saying he should never have hired him? How does that go over with the wrestling fanbase at ISU? You're telling me Pollard doesn't get blamed for losing the next Dan Gable? He can't win if he doesn't land Sanderson otherwise he goes off and wins somewhere else (i.e....Penn State or whereever) and Pollard is forever blamed for not doing what it took to give Sanderson his first coaching job.

Now, at least, it turns out Sanderson was the one not commited to bring the title to ISU....not Pollard.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He also drove one off by not giving much thought into giving wrestling the money and facilities it deserves at ISU.

Well, that's part of the reason we will have all the new football stuff. When you have a small budget like we do, there have to be sacrifices in certain departments and football is not where you cut them. I like wrestling but not enough to sacrifice anything for football.

Until those national championships are won at Iowa State, hiring Chizik and Sanderson do not add to the quality of Jamie Pollard.

That's not true at all. Had he fired them then yes, but not under the scenerios they actually left. At one point he hired two coaches who won NCs. You can't say that doesn't give him some sort of credibility.

Than why can Cael go win a national title in 2 years at a school that hasnt won one in 60. He never could get the athletes to Ames for whatever reason.

I do feel Cael is better off not being in Iowa's shadow. He doesnt have to compete and lose the best wrestlers in the state to a for whatever reason bigger name coach.

That's BS. How many kids did Cael recruit or have at ISU that had a large amount of success at ISU or elswhere. There were quite a few. You put just a few of those guys on these past couple teams and things change.

Reactions: capitalcityguy