Pollard has now hired 2 National Championship caliber coaches

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Gene Chizik was not a good hire. He didn't want to be here from day one, only won 5 games in 2 years, and bolted as soon as he could.

That doesnt make him a bad hire. It was never a secret that he'd probably take off when he got the chance to move up. Typically though, that requires taking a program up a level, and would have left us in a better place than when he got here. Somehow a 5-19 coach got picked up by a power school, against all odds. No way JP could have predicted that, as its such a freak thing that rarely happens.

We also knew we were getting a situation where he'd be learning on the job. Even he admitted mistakes were made, and was making efforts to correct those before he got the call from Auburn.

So should the fan bases of Bowling Green and Utah pat the ADs on the back that hired Urban Meyer because Meyer won national championships at Florida?

Certainly shows that those ADs had an eye for talent. (though they got to see the results at their schools too)

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
IMO, Jamie Pollard's success should be measured by one primary parameter and one secondary parameter...

Primary Parameter: Wins/Losses
Secondary Parameter: Finances

The two parameters are highly dependent on each other. I believe JP has shown success at the secondary parameter and this will hopefully bring more success at the primary one. At times, he's made some interesting media relations decisions, but I think he feels it's part of the fight when you are in the position we are. I also think he's come a long way since 2005.

Either way, the success of a former coach at another school should not be a parameter to judge his success. It could be used as an argument of why it was a good idea to hire a particular coach at the time. It's a game of "What have you done for me lately?"

Last edited:
Reactions: CyDude16

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You make it sound like Cael is the only person who has that problem. Do you suppose Coach Rhoads loves every aspect of the football facilities? Nope. Christy Johnson-Lynch has been begging for awhile for a practice facility. At the end of the day, Christy realizes beggers can't be choosers. Did Cael? I'd say no.

Do you agree with everything with your boss? I highly doubt it. If you confide that in someone, is it possible it is over or understated? Absolutely.

Exactly. It's not about not having everything you want because no coach at ISU will ever have everything. It's about a certain loyalty to the school and being able to fight through those challenges. Like I said, obviously, Cael wasn't willing to do that and he went elsewhere which is certainly his right, but I think it showed what he was all about.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
You make it sound like Cael is the only person who has that problem. Do you suppose Coach Rhoads loves every aspect of the football facilities? Nope. Christy Johnson-Lynch has been begging for awhile for a practice facility. At the end of the day, Christy realizes beggers can't be choosers. Did Cael? I'd say no.

Do you agree with everything with your boss? I highly doubt it. If you confide that in someone, is it possible it is over or understated? Absolutely.

Oh hey! Rhoads is getting promises of what he wants! I can only assume that Lynch is getting frustrated by being put off if something isn't planned for her that we don't know about. How is it so hard to say that JP is at least just as much at fault for Cael leaving as Cael himself?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Oh hey! Rhoads is getting promises of what he wants! I can only assume that Lynch is getting frustrated by being put off if something isn't planned for her that we don't know about. How is it so hard to say that JP is at least just as much at fault for Cael leaving as Cael himself?

Rhoads is getting promised things because his program not only makes money but it is the cash cow of the whole AD. How hard is it to understand that we have a small budget and JP can't just go throing money at things that will never repay themselves in our position. Cael should have known that when he took the job.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Rhoads and Lynch both know that our department has limits and that those will always have to be worked around. As i recall Lynch has turned down other offers, so she can't be too unhappy here.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Cael was already here and everybody knew he was our next head wrestling coach. McDermott was a terrible hire as proven by the results. Actually Chiz's results were also horrible at ISU and let's see how Chiz does at Auburn without Scam Newton. Chiz may end up 0-13 this year before it's over. And I still think JP was asleep with Cael as he was pre-occupied with making excuses for and giving big raises to losing coaches like Chiz and GMac. I think those two were getting bigger raises than Cael's whole salary. Inexcusable.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I wonder if Reader will stay here and train and or/coach now? It tell a lot about if our facilities are truly adequate, and ISU's commitment to wrestling.

Reader stated in his post match interview that he was staying in Ames to train under KJ for the next level. Zabriskie is still here as well. Varner knew he was leaving to follow Cael before KJ even showed up on campus, but he was respectful about it and didn't publicly speak about it until after the season was over.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
The "wrestling community" has roughly no idea what goes in within the walls of the Jacobson Building. The people who are within the wrestling community say exactly the opposite of what the people with sources inside the athletics department say. Both are extremely biased. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Common sense however shows a new wrestling facility, recruiting hotbed, and money waiting for him making it much easier to believe JP wasn't nearly as much at fault as it is portrayed by the wrestling community.
We suck and the wrestling community needs a fall guy. At the NCAA level, it is a dying sport......any futurist can see that. Look at the number of schools who have already gotten out and those that continue to get out. I remember going to meets in the 70s when Hilton was near capacity for wrestling but those days are long gone and they are not coming back.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Hilton was packed in the 70's because we were winning and competing for national titles. Yes there are fewer wrestling programs, but that's making for more good programs and more programs competing for top 10 finishes. It's not just Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Oky State any more like it was years ago, so I think it's creating more interest in collegiate wrestling in more places. KJ's got a tough job ahead as we lost momentum when Cael left, so he has to build the program back up, and I hope he has the commitment from the athletic department to help him do it.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Sadly that's probably true about cross country. Has anybody but family or friends ever gone to a cross country tournament? I'm all for dropping cc and putting the money toward wrestling, football or basketball.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Sadly that's probably true about cross country. Has anybody but family or friends ever gone to a cross country tournament? I'm all for dropping cc and putting the money toward wrestling, football or basketball.
Theshadow would know, but can we drop any sports or female scholarships? We have to be close to the min requirements in both.
Also, does cross country lose more money than wrestling?