PODCAST: The latest on Fred Hoiberg/the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Fred must REALLY REALLY love the NBA to do this to the fanbase. I also wonder what his wife thinks or wants? Maybe she wants to live in Chicago too? Maybe his kids want that? Just very sad.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
My gut still tells me that Fred is in the process of making a decision, and that all the smoke around the program comes from people who know that he is seriously considering making a move. Obviously I hope that this is the case, and that he decides to stay.

I don't have a deep personal stake in any of this, and I think this is most likely the case. People keep talking about how this is a done deal "based on all the information we have available," and I keep thinking: What information? That the Bulls want to get rid of their coach and Hoiberg is one of the hottest coaching commodities in basketball? Those are both facts, and that's pretty much where the facts stop. The rest is conjecture at this point, fueled by the collective mindset within this fan base that a knee to the groin is always just around the corner (and this one would be a real doozy).

When CW talks about this, I don't feel like he does it for clicks and page views; it's the biggest ISU-athletics-related story in a long time, if not the biggest ever. But I do think he's guilty of falling into the same self-fulfilling-prophecy-making rut that many of you are stuck in right now.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
No, people are upset because hoiberg made ISU fun and people are afraid it won't be as fun. It begins and ends there.

I don't see how this conflicts with being used as a stepping stone. Typically (Chizik aside) when a coach comes in and has success (which is fun for the fans), they'll be gone. We'll have to start the process over with an unknown entity--either they'll suck or be good (and then leave.) People want a good coach who wants to stay, especially for MBB (which isn't a cesspool like our football program).

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don't have a deep personal stake in any of this, and I think this is most likely the case. People keep talking about how this is a done deal "based on all the information we have available," and I keep thinking: What information? That the Bulls want to get rid of their coach and Hoiberg is one of the hottest coaching commodities in basketball? Those are both facts, and that's pretty much where the facts stop. The rest is conjecture at this point, fueled by the collective mindset within this fan base that a knee to the groin is always just around the corner (and this one would be a real doozy).

When CW talks about this, I don't feel like he does it for clicks and page views; it's the biggest ISU-athletics-related story in a long time, if not the biggest ever. But I do think he's guilty of falling into the same self-fulfilling-prophecy-making rut that many of you are stuck in right now.

This was my thought as well...had a hard time figuring what was new that needed to be brought up, just rehashed what we've heard for a couple weeks...what many people here were attacked for saying a week ago. Maybe they know something we don't but something happened to change their tune, we just haven't heard it yet. Heck....THE BULLS STILL HAVE A COACH.

Jay_Clone

Mar 26, 2006
Johnston
I want Fred to stay as much as everyone else. If he plans to leave within the next 2-3 years, he may as well go now. We have fantastic talent for the 2015-16 season and then we will need to rebuild. Might as well make the new coach look good next year and help future recruiting.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Fred must REALLY REALLY love the NBA to do this to the fanbase. I also wonder what his wife thinks or wants? Maybe she wants to live in Chicago too? Maybe his kids want that? Just very sad.

Nobody WANTS to live in Chicago. A few of us just tolerate it (thankfully not much longer for me though).

UofICy

Nov 24, 2006
Let's be fair, Fred has not dumped on Iowa State. He's put it solidly on the map.

True, getting dumped stings, but we have to be rational about this.

WRONG...he's dumping on us right now. Our recruiting is taking a direct hit because he is using ISU as a stepping stone to get his "dream job". I remember when THIS WAS his dream job... I hope the bulls "Tim Floyd" Tank when he goes there...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
WRONG...he's dumping on us right now. Our recruiting is taking a direct hit because he is using ISU as a stepping stone to get his "dream job". I remember when THIS WAS his dream job... I hope the bulls "Tim Floyd" Tank when he goes there...

So your dreams have never evolved over the years? You've never accomplished your original goal, and then came up with a new one?

UofICy

Nov 24, 2006
So your dreams have never evolved over the years? You've never accomplished your original goal, and then came up with a new one?

The point is...It's pretty apparent to EVERYONE that the NBA is his dream...He's intentionally misled everyone, for his own personal gain. The NBA can wait...he made some pretty big promises here and now he's taking a big ol' deuce on the University, his players and fans.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Let's be fair, Fred has not dumped on Iowa State. He's put it solidly on the map.

True, getting dumped stings, but we have to be rational about this.

He's put himself on the map, not Iowa State. Fred is the only reason we're on any kind of map right now, and if he leaves, a lot of those reasons are going right with him. It's silly to think otherwise.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The point is...It's pretty apparent to EVERYONE that the NBA is his dream...He's intentionally misled everyone, for his own personal gain. The NBA can wait...he made some pretty big promises here and now he's taking a big ol' deuce on the University, his players and fans.

I kind of think if he knew his health would let him have a long coaching career, he would be a lot more game for sticking around ISU longer. It could very well be a coincidence that he had his second surgery this offseason and this is the offseason that he's probably opting to take an NBA offer, but I think it might not be. Seems to me that Fred had multiple career goals, some ISU-related, some NBA-related, and it's becoming clearer that his coaching window is not guaranteed to be long enough to accomplish both. Maaaaaaybe he felt/knew all of this 5 years ago and has just spent half a decade being super-conniving about it. Seems more likely that his perspective has just changed.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

He really didn't accomplish his goals at ISU. I guess if his goal was to use ISU to get to the NBA he accomplished it. If his goal was to get ISU to the Final 4, he fell way short.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

When my dreams of winning powerball and never having to do anything again come true I am pretty certain I won't be making a new dream. lol

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Has Fred accomplished his goals at ISU? I thought some of Fred's goals were to win Big 12 titles and a national championship. This would be his best year to try to acheive them.

Status
Not open for further replies.