PODCAST: The latest on Fred Hoiberg/the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
Naz, McKay, Nader, and Niang are all seniors. Nader and McKay have already transferred once. None of them would leave.

Burton just transferred, so he wouldn't go anywhere. Monte has dreams of going pro after this year, he won't go anywhere. Thomas will be a Cyclone as long as TJ is here.

that is what I believe too and stated yesterday....just saw some speak of "players wavering" and wondered if I missed anything "real"....I would be shocked if any of our guys, outside of Giourges T don't return

3rdGenStater

Oct 7, 2012
There is really nothing more ISU than this. The biggest legend in school history using the premier job at the university as a stepping stone job.

If all of this Hoiberg-to-the-NBA drama shakes out to be true, I'm left with questions. I don't mind that Hoiberg's ultimate goal is to coach in the NBA. That's fine--after all, successful people are goal-driven.

However, if that's your goal--and it couldn't have been a secret to Jamie Pollard--then why use your alma mater as nothing more than a stepping stone? If you truly love your university (and hasn't he made noise to that effect?), why would you do that?

Get your handful of years of experience/pad your resume somewhere else--and then jump to your ultimate goal. Don't dump on your university.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
If all of this Hoiberg-to-the-NBA drama shakes out to be true, I'm left with questions. I don't mind that Hoiberg's ultimate goal is to coach in the NBA. That's fine--after all, successful people are goal-driven.

However, if that's your goal--and it couldn't have been a secret to Jamie Pollard--then why use your alma mater as nothing more than a stepping stone? If you truly love your university (and hasn't he made noise to that effect?), why would you do that?

Get your handful of years of experience/pad your resume somewhere else--and then jump to your ultimate goal. Don't dump on your university.

I'll take 5 years of Holberg bringing us out of the gutter, making ISU relevant again, winning, and having fun......only to be dumped

Then to not have ever had Holberg be the coach. But that's just me.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

Let's be fair, Fred has not dumped on Iowa State. He's put it solidly on the map.

True, getting dumped stings, but we have to be rational about this.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com

Are you effing kidding me? You would have preferred that Fred resurrected some random program, such as Texas Tech and then went to the NBA?

It hurts that Fred is likely gone. I don't want him to go, but he's leaving the program a much better place than he found it. I'll thank him for that.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
I'll take 5 years of Holberg bringing us out of the gutter, making ISU relevant again, winning, and having fun......only to be dumped

There is not a University anywhere that has a lower standing in athletics history than ISU. This will be the last straw for some folk. I'm devastated.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
This is depressing and exhausting

I'm practically to the point where I hope it happens and he finally goes. Even if we dodge it this year, it'll continue to be a yearly cycle, unless he makes some sort of public commitment - which he is unlikely to do.

Winning cures a lot of ills. Specifically, players will come to places and coaches that win, and even with the distractions we'll get some solid players. But it feels like we're just getting lucky with as much as this has to hamper recruiting. Some say it already has considerably.

1TRUFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I for one would love a distraction story about kickers and punters. Punters have always been a Cyclone highlight.
PS: As for the stepping stone argument, even Kansas had Roy Williams leave for UNC.

Roy is from North Carolina, went to school at UNC and was an assistant under Smith...so not a very good analogy given our current situation...

Reactions: BigBake

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Entertaining listen.

Agree with most except for Rob's statement that any previous ISU coach coach this group of talent to the Final Four.

Greg McDermott, along with Diante Garrett, Brackins, Justin Hamilton, Lucca Steiger, JVB, and others disagree.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

I agree but right now if feels like he did it all for the short term and personal gain. The class of 20014 was a bust, 2015 is short on talent and the class of 16 isn't looking to good right now. There is going to be one more year of good times then a lot of rebuilding to do. Granted it is not as bad when he took over but its not leaving the shelves full either.

Status
Not open for further replies.