Parker Stewart commits to Pitt

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm going to preface this by saying I think Steve Prohm overachieved immensely with last year's team by going 12-6 in conference and winning the conference tournament.

But the one positive about having six scholarships open is that you have an awful lot of playing time to offer. The McNeil situation was unfortunate but we missed on a number of different players. It isn't damning at this point, but 2018-19 is going to be a pivotal year for this program. Missing one NCAA Tournament is excusable but if you miss two years in a row (especially after the talent that was gifted him) people are going to forget the first two years fairly quickly.

People forget how tenuous building teams can be.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Would you rather have a team with elevated expectations underachieve or have a team with zero expectations overachieve.

As a fan, I'll take the 2nd and it's reason enough for me to get excited for next season regardless of who else signs.
Or... Zero expectations and meet them. More than 2 options out there. I am hoping we see big strides in our young players over the season but I am guessing NIT is the ceiling at this point.

• Disagree
  • Useful
Reactions: isufbcurt and ComCY

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I respectfully disagree. I've heard this narrative bandied about a lot, but it strikes me as sour grapes against Fred. Prohm has had 2 recruiting cycles (and a little more) and has just missed on a couple recruits this year and last. I wouldn't blame Fred; that's too much. There's plenty of PT to offer, a great fan base, a program with a lot of national visibility right now and yet we've still missed on some quality recruits. Some of it has been bad luck (like the Malou situation), but you can't deny we've missed lots of recruits. The blaming of Fred has to stop. You only need a couple big time recruits in bball to completely turn things around (unlike the large quantity of decent recruits). I must say I'm a little worried.

Next year hopefully Prohm will land some better players if we're going to get back to the level Fred led us to. Right now, next year looks to be about a 15 - 15 year. Keep in mind, Prohm has only won with Fred's players so far (Niang, Morris, Naz, Thomas, McKay).

I'm still behind the coach too, but let's stop with the blame Fred game.

That would make sense if Prohm was trying to rebuild for just this year. However, he spent a lot of time and resources recruiting for last year because we were so empty up front. I'm really glad he brought Solo in, and even Bowie and Holden were good takes, but those two don't do anything for us this year. Fred really put us behind the 8 ball by forcing us to spend time on immediately eligible bigs, rather than being able to recruit for this year. Yes, you can do both, but you don't have an infinite amount of time or money to spend.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Shame, the team we have will not make the tournament. We could really use at least 1 more B12 ready player.
Stewart, or Brown for that matter were not going to be the difference between making the tournament or not this season. We don't even know if either of them are "Big 12 ready". Jakolby Long was ranked higher than either of those guys and barely played last year.

They certainly could have helped for the future, and would have taken some pressure off of next years recruiting class.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Stewart, or Brown for that matter were not going to be the difference between making the tournament or not this season. We don't even know if either of them are "Big 12 ready". Jakolby Long was ranked higher than either of those guys and barely played last year.

They certainly could have helped for the future, and would have taken some pressure off of next years recruiting class.
I agree. But the extra competition would help all involved. If anyone gets injured, we wont even have enough scholarship players to scrimmage.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I respectfully disagree. I've heard this narrative bandied about a lot, but it strikes me as sour grapes against Fred. Prohm has had 2 recruiting cycles (and a little more) and has just missed on a couple recruits this year and last. I wouldn't blame Fred; that's too much. There's plenty of PT to offer, a great fan base, a program with a lot of national visibility right now and yet we've still missed on some quality recruits. Some of it has been bad luck (like the Malou situation), but you can't deny we've missed lots of recruits. The blaming of Fred has to stop. You only need a couple big time recruits in bball to completely turn things around (unlike the large quantity of decent recruits). I must say I'm a little worried.

Next year hopefully Prohm will land some better players if we're going to get back to the level Fred led us to. Right now, next year looks to be about a 15 - 15 year. Keep in mind, Prohm has only won with Fred's players so far (Niang, Morris, Naz, Thomas, McKay).

I'm still behind the coach too, but let's stop with the blame Fred game.

I agree that it's not ALL Fred's fault. After two years some of it's on Prohm as well. I think of it as Fred started the fire and Prohm hasn't been able to get it completely under control. Yet(Hopefully).

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

MarvinEjim

Mar 1, 2015
Ames
The infatuation among some posters with this last crop of 2017 recruits is absolutely amazing. Our program will be fine. CSP is a great coach who motivates players and has the ability to get them to buy in. Both Stewart and Brown have stated that they are seeking playing time, among other things, which our program more than likely cannot immediately offer them because we have talent on our roster already. Just some perspective for those of you getting your panties in a bunch over 18 yr olds who chose to take their talents to a "lesser" program.

Darius McNeill is a certainly a different case which has been discussed several times over. The staff cannot predict situations like that and had limited options in regards to how to deal with it.

Last edited:

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Which is why I think it's important to fill at least one more of these openings. If not, and if there's no pick up from the mid season market, then we're right back to trying to fill 5 scholarships next spring.
5 < 8. If we got Wiggi, Lewis, Shayok, Jacobson and either Beverly or Brase, everyone would be ecstatic. Instead we're obsessing over missing schollies 7 and 8 being used on 200+ ranked guys and how we don't know if this staff can recruit.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Wigginton, Lewis, Beverly, Brase, Jacobson and Shayok...not sure what people are upset about. Had this staff not had to turn the entire roster over in two years, things would be much different. I'm not sure the southern recruiting is our best idea but as a whole I'm don't know how anyone can be negative about this class. Juiston was the only strike out this spring IMO, the other guys interest in ISU was greatly exaggerated on this board out of hope or arrogance.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Wigginton, Lewis, Beverly, Brase, Jacobson and Shayok...not sure what people are upset about. Had this staff not had to turn the entire roster over in two years, things would be much different. I'm not sure the southern recruiting is our best idea but as a whole I'm don't know how anyone can be negative about this class. Juiston was the only strike out this spring IMO, the other guys interest in ISU was greatly exaggerated on this board out of hope or arrogance.
I'm not upset with the staff or who we got. Just disappointed we probably wont fill the roster or at least have 10-11 on scholarship for next season. It is what it is, and if its just one year we miss on the tourney, I can deal with that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron