Parker Stewart commits to Pitt

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I don't understand kids that set up visits but then don't take them. If it were me I would want to take all my visits so I could compare and contrast each school.

Of course I like to make intelligent informed decisions.

I mean if I had to choose between Nina Dobrev, Abigail Spencer, or Alexandra Daddario I'm at least going on one date with each before I decide who the lucky girl is that gets to tear my heart out and stomp on it like a circus elephant.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
The fact is, we had to pay the piper eventually for Fred's recruiting strategy the last few years he was here. This was coming eventually. It was unavoidable.

Look... we had what 6 or 8 scholarships to fill right? Half the roster basically. As a coach with 6 spots to fill, you are put in a real dilemma.

We just have not come to terms with this yet.

I respectfully disagree. I've heard this narrative bandied about a lot, but it strikes me as sour grapes against Fred. Prohm has had 2 recruiting cycles (and a little more) and has just missed on a couple recruits this year and last. I wouldn't blame Fred; that's too much. There's plenty of PT to offer, a great fan base, a program with a lot of national visibility right now and yet we've still missed on some quality recruits. Some of it has been bad luck (like the Malou situation), but you can't deny we've missed lots of recruits. The blaming of Fred has to stop. You only need a couple big time recruits in bball to completely turn things around (unlike the large quantity of decent recruits). I must say I'm a little worried.

Next year hopefully Prohm will land some better players if we're going to get back to the level Fred led us to. Right now, next year looks to be about a 15 - 15 year. Keep in mind, Prohm has only won with Fred's players so far (Niang, Morris, Naz, Thomas, McKay).

I'm still behind the coach too, but let's stop with the blame Fred game.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I don't understand kids that set up visits but then don't take them. If it were me I would want to take all my visits so I could compare and contrast each school.

Of course I like to make intelligent informed decisions.

I mean if I had to choose between Nina Dobrev, Abigail Spencer, or Alexandra Daddario I'm at least going on one date with each before I decide who the lucky girl is that gets to tear my heart out and stomp on it like a circus elephant.

It was only tentatively set according to Alex Halstad. The plan was that he was going to visit ISU, if he didn't like Wichita State after going there first.

Also, it's mutually beneficial when a kid knows he's committing to another school and cancels his remaining visits.

Schools can only have so many visits. Not sure on the number or time frame, but you don't get unlimited visits. You get only x visits over xx years.

Not to mention visits cost time and money as well.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
It was only tentatively set according to Alex Halstad. The plan was that he was going to visit ISU, if he didn't like Wichita State after going there first.

Also, it's mutually beneficial when a kid knows he's committing to another school and cancels his remaining visits.

Schools can only have so many visits. Not sure on the number or time frame, but you don't get unlimited visits. You get only x visits over xx years.

Not to mention visits cost time and money as well.

Huh? Wichita State? I think you're confusing him with Brown.

Also, my point was I wouldn't commit until I made all my visits.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Huh? Wichita State? I think you're confusing him with Brown.

Also, my point was I wouldn't commit until I made all my visits.

Yeah sorry that was the story with Brown.

It was probably very similar to Stewart. We aren't bringing in late spring kids that are just looking for a free visit to compare against the team they're leaning toward committing to.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
9 scholarship players it is next year.

-Three freshman

-Two guys (Brase, Long) coming off surgeries with 1 of them yet to contribute at this level. (I think he can though. Jakolby)

-One guy trying to make the jump from the C-USA to the Big 12

-Three guys returning who averaged less than 7 points per game.

Now, I think a lot of guys mentioned above will be good and I'm excited about them, but next year will be interesting..
Interesting is a pretty accurate word for this upcoming season. I think Jackson, Wigginton, Young, and Lewis will all be studs but the rest of the guys are a big unknown. This squad is definitely capable of making the tourney, but it could also be a bad season where we finish just over .500. Only time will tell, but I am going to be optimistic until this team gives me a reason to doubt them.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Well this all but seals the deal on the 17 recruiting class. 9 scholarship players, while it doesn't sound like much, is actually 1 more still than historically will see the court in a big 12 game.

Not sure what the deal is with this staff and recruiting. I'm not panicking yet but I've moved past the "they're fine" mode. Moving into the prohm needs to bring in a recruiting wizard that can close the deal. A TJ type.
Yep, because landing a 5 star point guard and a 4 star winger isn't any good, right?

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Well this all but seals the deal on the 17 recruiting class. 9 scholarship players, while it doesn't sound like much, is actually 1 more still than historically will see the court in a big 12 game.

Not sure what the deal is with this staff and recruiting. I'm not panicking yet but I've moved past the "they're fine" mode. Moving into the prohm needs to bring in a recruiting wizard that can close the deal. A TJ type.
He most definitely does if he wants to win. The weakest part of his program is his staff recruiting.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
given how everyone loves a blow up and negative stories drive viewers/readers, CF is going to crush it Nov-March this coming season.

going to be really tough for Prohm, I hope he can survive a rebuilding season, and you know, rebuild it.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The fact is, we had to pay the piper eventually for Fred's recruiting strategy the last few years he was here. This was coming eventually. It was unavoidable.

Look... we had what 6 or 8 scholarships to fill right? Half the roster basically. As a coach with 6 spots to fill, you are put in a real dilemma.

We just have not come to terms with this yet.

Which is why I think it's important to fill at least one more of these openings. If not, and if there's no pick up from the mid season market, then we're right back to trying to fill 5 scholarships next spring.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Now, let's see Prohm as a coach. If he turns this group into an immediate winner, we will know we have a great coach.

I am pretty well convinced already, but I am excited to see what he does with this "blank slate" of new talent. I think we will be competitive but inconsistent with our youth. If we make the tournament it would be a heckuva coaching job.

I am a Prohm fan but am disappointed with how this spring went. We have a good foundation to build on, just need to add some pieces for the next few years.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Foundation is there for a bright future. Hope fans can be patient next year watching our young talent develop.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Clone_12

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I respectfully disagree. I've heard this narrative bandied about a lot, but it strikes me as sour grapes against Fred. Prohm has had 2 recruiting cycles (and a little more) and has just missed on a couple recruits this year and last. I wouldn't blame Fred; that's too much. There's plenty of PT to offer, a great fan base, a program with a lot of national visibility right now and yet we've still missed on some quality recruits. Some of it has been bad luck (like the Malou situation), but you can't deny we've missed lots of recruits. The blaming of Fred has to stop. You only need a couple big time recruits in bball to completely turn things around (unlike the large quantity of decent recruits). I must say I'm a little worried.

Next year hopefully Prohm will land some better players if we're going to get back to the level Fred led us to. Right now, next year looks to be about a 15 - 15 year. Keep in mind, Prohm has only won with Fred's players so far (Niang, Morris, Naz, Thomas, McKay).

I'm still behind the coach too, but let's stop with the blame Fred game.

I'm going to preface this by saying I think Steve Prohm overachieved immensely with last year's team by going 12-6 in conference and winning the conference tournament.

But the one positive about having six scholarships open is that you have an awful lot of playing time to offer. The McNeil situation was unfortunate but we missed on a number of different players. It isn't damning at this point, but 2018-19 is going to be a pivotal year for this program. Missing one NCAA Tournament is excusable but if you miss two years in a row (especially after the talent that was gifted him) people are going to forget the first two years fairly quickly.

Reactions: riceville98

Help Support Us

Become a patron