OU @ KU

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I referee many AAU ballgames & that is one thing that my partner and I talk about as well. It doesn't mean that we WON'T make a call at the end of a close game, but it's going to have to be quite obvious.

NOW we're finally getting somewhere. How is it so hard to see that the referees took the same approach as you employ and left the questionable charge/block call as a no call because they wanted to let the players play it out? How is it so hard to see that they finally did make a call on Niang on the foul across Johnson's arms only because it was obvious? You said yourself that this is the very same approach you take in your job as a referee.

I would love for some ISU fan to give me a reasonable explanation for my one big question in all of this...if there was some huge conspiracy by the refs to give that game to Kansas, why didn't they just call a block on Niang and send Johnson to the line?

Do people really think that the referees missed this easy chance to put the fix in and instead chose to rely on the ball coming of the rim, being grabbed momentarily by Jeff Withey only to have it knocked out of his hands and fall to the floor where both Niang and Johnson were piled in a heap, have Johnson somehow grab the ball and THEN call a foul?!? If those guys were trying to fix the game then they really SUCK at it.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
The league doesn't apologize for 50/50 calls.
#fact

The league didn't apologize for the end of games actions @ISU, either. They just issued a statement saying that they believed that there were mistakes made at the end of the game and that they had taken appropriate measures to punish the refs involved. Mind you, the Big 12 isn't an organization of referees. It was just a save face statement to quash the "Big 12 Conference only wants Kansas to win" talk that was accompanying the hubbub.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
The league didn't apologize for the end of games actions @ISU, either. They just issued a statement saying that they believed that there were mistakes made at the end of the game and that they had taken appropriate measures to punish the refs involved. Mind you, the Big 12 isn't an organization of referees. It was just a save face statement to quash the "Big 12 Conference only wants Kansas to win" talk that was accompanying the hubbub.

The league acknowledged two officiating errors in the game, both of which were in the favor of KU. One cost ISU the game. Denying that is kidding yourself and trying to defend those calls takes away all credibility you have. I'm gonna agree with most talking heads and say that ISU got screwed.

Let's be done discussing a game that's already a year old.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
The league acknowledged two officiating errors in the game, both of which were in the favor of KU. One cost ISU the game. Denying that is kidding yourself and trying to defend those calls takes away all credibility you have. I'm gonna agree with most talking heads and say that ISU got screwed.

Let's be done discussing a game that's already a year old.

I would LOVE to be done with it but an ISU fan throws it in my face every other post and makes the results of every game that Kansas plays an indictment of the refs.

Again, I would love for some ISU fan to give me a reasonable explanation for my one big question in all of this...if there was some huge conspiracy by the refs to give that game to Kansas, why didn't they just call a block on Niang and send Johnson to the line?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
NOW we're finally getting somewhere. How is it so hard to see that the referees took the same approach as you employ and left the questionable charge/block call as a no call because they wanted to let the players play it out? How is it so hard to see that they finally did make a call on Niang on the foul across Johnson's arms only because it was obvious? You said yourself that this is the very same approach you take in your job as a referee.

I would love for some ISU fan to give me a reasonable explanation for my one big question in all of this...if there was some huge conspiracy by the refs to give that game to Kansas, why didn't they just call a block on Niang and send Johnson to the line?

Do people really think that the referees missed this easy chance to put the fix in and instead chose to rely on the ball coming of the rim, being grabbed momentarily by Jeff Withey only to have it knocked out of his hands and fall to the floor where both Niang and Johnson were piled in a heap, have Johnson somehow grab the ball and THEN call a foul?!? If those guys were trying to fix the game then they really SUCK at it.
If that were an AAU game and I was the ref who decided not to call a charge on the play, I sure as heck wouldn't call a reach in foul on the guy who just got bowled over, especially when the "reach in" didn't impede the path of the ball by the team in possession. That is letting the players decide the game. However, had the ball's path been thrown off because of the reach-in, we have a totally different call.
And, BTW, had this situation been reversed & KU was on the receiving end of this - I would be the first to admit that the Clones benefitted greatly by two poor inconsistencies in officiating. (However, I would also take evil delight in finally seeing the screws put to KU)

Last edited:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
And, BTW, had this situation been reversed & KU was on the receiving end of this - I would be the first to admit that the Clones benefitted greatly by two poor inconsistencies in officiating. (However, I would also take evil delight in finally seeing the screws put to KU)

I'll believe it when I see an ISU fan actually acknowledge any calls that went in their favor at any point in any game. The next one will be the first one.

As I have said before, Kansas did benefit from that call. But they were also hurt by other poor calls in the game, so I feel no need to have any qualms about how the game ended. Both teams had chances before and after those calls to make plays to win the game. Ultimately, the game was decided on the floor by the players.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I'll believe it when I see an ISU fan actually acknowledge any calls that went in their favor at any point in any game. The next one will be the first one.

As I have said before, Kansas did benefit from that call. But they were also hurt by other poor calls in the game, so I feel no need to have any qualms about how the game ended. Both teams had chances before and after those calls to make plays to win the game. Ultimately, the game was decided on the floor by the players.
1997 NCAA 2nd round game vs Cinci. We were down by 1 (I believe) extremely late in the game. We fail to make a shot and a Bearcat gets possession. kenny pratt falls on the Cinci player's leg which causes him to hit the ground & they call a TRAVELING violation on Cinci. We inbound and hit the go-ahead basket. Cinci still has a chance to win but they miss the shot. There are somewhat questionable calls in about every game, BUT that one (in 1997) I remember because of the significance of the game and what I deemed to be an extremely questionable call that gave an obvious advantage to ISU.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
How many threads has this guy totally derailed in an effort to defend the way B12 officials handle KU? It has to be at least a dozen. Give it up already man, nobody outside of the KU fanbase is going to agree with you.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

You wore out your welcome long ago. The fact you are not banned blows my mind. Are you really just Chris Williams trolling ISU fans for views? :jimlad:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
How many threads has this guy totally derailed in an effort to defend the way B12 officials handle KU? It has to be at least a dozen. Give it up already man, nobody outside of the KU fanbase is going to agree with you.
The thread turned into a conversation about the Big 12 refs and their intentions long before I opened it. I just participated in the conversation. I didn't change the course of it or derail it in any way. I am not looking for anyone to agree with me; that's not the point of a conversation. I am just sharing my opinion and responding to opinions on the topic being discussed just as everyone else here is. It's not personal; I don't make personal comments about any poster on here and neither should anyone else.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
The thread turned into a conversation about the Big 12 refs and their intentions long before I opened it. I just participated in the conversation. I didn't change the course of it or derail it in any way. I am not looking for anyone to agree with me; that's not the point of a conversation. I am just sharing my opinion and responding to opinions on the topic being discussed just as everyone else here is. It's not personal; I don't make personal comments about any poster on here and neither should anyone else.

Why do you think anyone on this board cares about a KU fan's opinion? Do you really think you're going to get some folks on here to say "you know what, that guy makes sense." You seem to enjoy peeing into the wind.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Why do you think anyone on this board cares about a KU fan's opinion? Do you really think you're going to get some folks on here to say "you know what, that guy makes sense." You seem to enjoy peeing into the wind.

Why are people bothered that a different opinion is represented?
I don't agree with everything the guy posts, but there shouldn't be a problem with having him here.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron