OU getting $350-400 million renovation

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Who wants to be first to point out that the neighbors really aren't getting much for $107 million?

OK, I'll do it.

I've seen my team play in a BCS bowl game in my lifetime. totally worth it

regret-nothing.gif

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
UT Ticket sales: $60,860,735

Crazy...

Good observation. I always thought butts in the seats were a small part of the overall revenue. Thought TV drove everything. But this, combines with the wait list for season tickets, is what supports Oklahoma's expansion.

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
http://newsok.com/ou-football-joe-c...-sooner-caravan-event/article/4815061/?page=1

“We’re on the threshold of making that announcement here soon,†Castiglione said. “As you know, last fall we announced those plans were underway, and we’ve taken six-to-eight months or so for it to develop.

“I’m really excited about what’s transpired since then. It’s been a great project; a great experience. It’s comprehensive in nature.â€

The athletic department began a feasibility assessment for football stadium improvements in October, with Populous, a Kansas City, Mo.-based architecture firm, being designated to review and upgrade the stadium’s “Master Plan.â€

A local television report earlier this month said a massive plan for stadium upgrades and expansion had already been “approved†and could be ready as soon as the fall of 2015, but multiple sources have since told The Oklahoman that plans are still being developed.

New stadium suites, a new weight room and a new press box and enhanced fan amenities are top priorities for the project, which could include the bowling off of the South end zone.

“I think people can begin to get excited about potential changes to the stadium in the future,†Boren told the Transcript.

“There are two goals that we set out to try and attain through this process,†Castiglione said Tuesday. “One is to create world-class resources for our world-class student-athlete experience, and second was to create the experience that is second-to-none in the country.

“We are on our way to making that happen. We’ll announce that here very, very soon.â€

The OU athletic department is one of only seven nationally that was profitable without relying on student fees or other subsidies.

“We don’t receive state appropriations,†Castiglione said. “We don’t receive tax dollars. We don’t receive financial support from the university, nor do we have any student fees that go to the support of intercollegiate athletics.

“Why that’s important is because your university program is making it on its own.â€

BOR meeting on 23rd or 24th of June. So probably a press conference/rendering release on the Monday following.

CANT WAIT

Boomer

Jun 7, 2010
370 million. Capacity doesn't increase because of chairbacks

In Full
Bq_QhvDCcAA9LHd.jpg

Bq_OGNMCAAMFVrt.jpg:large

New SEZ

Bq_O_XXCUAA5ai2.jpg

SEZ concessions

wyxmjU7.jpg

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGR72NqlCOU

qrH1aT4.jpg

@ryaber 52s
Stadium upgrades will add 50 more restrooms (7 now), 11 elevators (7), 16 escalators (0 now), 22,047 additional SF of weight room #Sooners

ryaber: South EZ video board will be 3,418 SF bigger, 30,650 SF in elevated west concourse added #Sooners

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
You'd need binoculars for some of those upper corner seats.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
370 million. Capacity doesn't increase because of chairbacks

In Full
Bq_QhvDCcAA9LHd.jpg

Bq_OGNMCAAMFVrt.jpg:large

New SEZ

Bq_O_XXCUAA5ai2.jpg

SEZ concessions

wyxmjU7.jpg

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGR72NqlCOU

qrH1aT4.jpg

@ryaber 52s
Stadium upgrades will add 50 more restrooms (7 now), 11 elevators (7), 16 escalators (0 now), 22,047 additional SF of weight room #Sooners

ryaber: South EZ video board will be 3,418 SF bigger, 30,650 SF in elevated west concourse added #Sooners

In my best Cartman voice, "I hate you guys"

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Lots of departments will feel these things when the bubble bursts.

Exactly, they are spending $350 million and not increasing capacity (or revenue streams) at all? Just adding a nuclear warmed and glowing field... Hmm... Hello McFly?

I'm sorry but that whole brochure screams gigantic bubble. Its almost all just marketing glitz and extravagances.

Last edited:

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
Re: OU getting $350-400 miillions renovation

This is good for the Big 12. I want opponents having awesome facilities. Makes the conference look even bigger/better/more legit.

True true but I'd also like to see schools other than Texas and Oklahoma have major revonations. When the perception to a lot of people is the Big 2 and little 8, it's nice to see the other 8 schools making major improvements.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Re: OU getting $350-400 miillions renovation

True true but I'd also like to see schools other than Texas and Oklahoma have major revonations. When the perception to a lot of people is the Big 2 and little 8, it's nice to see the other 8 schools making major improvements.

TCU has a brand new stadium.
Baylor is going to have a brand new stadium (opening in 2015?)
Okie State, KSU and us have all done/continue to do major renovations
TTU and WVU have pretty good stadiums already, no clue if they have any upgrades planned.
KU has a track.

I'd say that's pretty good for the little 8.