One thing is very obvious...

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Dumb doesn't mean it's untrue.

Then why is it dumb if it's a true statement? As the facts (see above posts) clearly support the OP, which make his statement true, isn't it your statement calling the OP "dumb" actually the "dumb" statement? Isn't calling someone's statement "inconvenient" because he didn't google it for your benefit as "dumb" as you conveniently not googling to support your statement?

Bottom line: the statement re: defenses win championships is supported by the facts. Your statement calling it "dumb" is not.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
Yes. They all fouled out because they were playing defense so tough.

Do you think the perfect defensive basketball team would be a team that commits fouls or one that can play defense and doesn't commit any?

I guess they could be terrible enough at offense to where they commit several offense fouls to land in foul trouble, but they could just turnover the ball every time and play defense well enough to rack up enough offensive fouls on the other team to make them forfeit.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Then why is it dumb if it's a true statement? As the facts (see above posts) clearly support the OP, which make his statement true, isn't it your statement calling the OP "dumb" actually the "dumb" statement? Isn't calling someone's statement "inconvenient" because he didn't google it for your benefit as "dumb" as you conveniently not googling to support your statement?

Bottom line: the statement re: defenses win championships is supported by the facts. Your statement calling it "dumb" is not.

Because i think using that cliche to be simple minded..... Never once did I say defense doesn't matter.... Continue on though.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Because i think using that cliche to be simple minded..... Never once did I say defense doesn't matter.... Continue on though.

But WHY is it simple minded?

Besides, you said "Dumbest cliche in all of sports." Obviously, you're recognizing there are many cliches in sports and that some are not as smart as others. So, you aren't calling the use of a cliche as "dumb," but the cliche itself "dumb." Again, as the statement is obviously supported by the facts, it isn't "dumb." Rather, it makes your criticism "dumb."

Last edited:

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
OU was a physical team and they got called for a lot against MSU while MSU could foul at will for no calls
Bull crap post.. Please share with us the number of fouls called on each team in that game.. Your bias is making you see things that are not there. It was 16 fouls on each team. lol..

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Arizona, the number 3 defensive efficiency team in the country just got bounced by Wisconsin, the number 55 defensive team in the country.

Notre Dame, ranked 103rd in the country in defensive efficiency, just gave Kentucky, ranked #1 and extremely, extremely tough test.

Virginia, ranked #2 in defensive efficiency got bounced before the Sweet 16 against the 47th ranked defense of Michigan State.

So no, I'd say you don't "need" an elite defense to win championships, you just need a complete team who can win games, in whatever way possible.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Do you think the perfect defensive basketball team would be a team that commits fouls or one that can play defense and doesn't commit any?

I guess they could be terrible enough at offense to where they commit several offense fouls to land in foul trouble, but they could just turnover the ball every time and play defense well enough to rack up enough offensive fouls on the other team to make them forfeit.

Yes. On defense they played perfectly and never gave up a point and never fouled. But on offense, they kept charging and racked up so many offensive fouls that they could no longer field a team. So they had to forfeit.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
But WHY is it simple minded?

Besides, you said "Dumbest cliche in all of sports." Obviously, you're recognizing there are many cliches in sports and that some are not as smart as others. So, you aren't calling the use of a cliche as "dumb," but thee cliche itself "dumb." Again, as the statement is obviously supported by the facts, it isn't "dumb." Rather, it makes your criticism "dumb."

you sure get bent out of shape for no reason..... Take a deep breath, bud.

Cymentor

Mar 24, 2015
OU was a physical team and they got called for a lot against MSU while MSU could foul at will for no calls

Never mind the fact both teams were whistled for exactly 16 fouls. But let me guess, MSU's fouls were all hard fouls and Oklahoma's were all ticky tack...

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
you sure get bent out of shape for no reason..... Take a deep breath, bud.

I'm not bent out of shape and my breathing is fine. I used basic logic and raised some questions which you are not able to answer.

The only thing even remotely "bending me out of shape" is when people use words like "dumb" as if that is a conclusive and well-supported argument. I used the word in my responses to make a point as I don't really think you or your statement is "dumb." It's just reflexive and not well thought out.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
What stats did you provide to back up you're initial claim? Convenient?

I'm not going to spend my morning digging up the facts/stats but I've seen them posted several times in the last couple of years.

A large percentage of the Final Four teams in the last decade (probably much longer than a decades but that was the time frame I saw for stats) were top 20 defensive teams.

That isn't rocket science.

Go look up scoring defense rankings for the last 30 national champions in college FB and you'll find the same thing.

Blum had a stat like this earlier this season. Can't remember it exactly, but it was something like all final four teams except one goimg back however many years all had top 40 defenses. The one that didn't was either Villanova or VCU.
And we certainly don't have a top 40 defense.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Are good defense and good offense mutually exclusive? That depends on your bench, IMO. Guys like Niang would play fewer minutes if they had to do both. We also can't afford the defensive fouls if we can't substitute. In that regard, good defense can actually lead to better offense: it is much easier to score off forced turnovers and defensive rebounds than on inbounding a made basket.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
completely agree. Kansas could probably say the same thing over the last 2-3 years. ISU and KU were pretty soft and it bit them both in the a@@.

I like Hoiberg, but maybe he should invite someone like Izzo or Bo Ryan to Ames, and maybe learn a few things about big boy tournament basketball. Defense and rebounding is very lacking with this team.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
completely agree. Kansas could probably say the same thing over the last 2-3 years. ISU and KU were pretty soft and it bit them both in the a@@.

I like Hoiberg, but maybe he should invite someone like Izzo or Bo Ryan to Ames, and maybe learn a few things about big boy tournament basketball. Defense and rebounding is very lacking with this team.

I think the lack of a seasoned veteran as assistant reared it's head this season. Sure wish Doc hadn't left.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Arizona, the number 3 defensive efficiency team in the country just got bounced by Wisconsin, the number 55 defensive team in the country.

Notre Dame, ranked 103rd in the country in defensive efficiency, just gave Kentucky, ranked #1 and extremely, extremely tough test.

Virginia, ranked #2 in defensive efficiency got bounced before the Sweet 16 against the 47th ranked defense of Michigan State.

So no, I'd say you don't "need" an elite defense to win championships, you just need a complete team who can win games, in whatever way possible.

Michigan State and Wisconsin know how to play great defense. They can rebound, and they are both mentally tough teams. Big 12 teams rely too much on offensive flow, jump shots and transition, and with the refs allowing more physical play in the tournament, teams like Mich St and Wisc can take that style away, or at least disrupt it enough to beat you.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lot of folks here vying to see who is the real:

VJsw1MaU_400x400.jpeg

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I think the cut-off was final four. I was pretty damn close to applying for astronaut school.
Okay? You act as if Notre Dame did not have any chance to make the final four. In case you didn't watch that game, Notre Dame had a Final 4 caliber team. If Jerian Grant's shot goes in, does that mean you're in astronaut school?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I'm not bent out of shape and my breathing is fine. I used basic logic and raised some questions which you are not able to answer.

The only thing even remotely "bending me out of shape" is when people use words like "dumb" as if that is a conclusive and well-supported argument. I used the word in my responses to make a point as I don't really think you or your statement is "dumb." It's just reflexive and not well thought out.

Do you not grasp the concept that I was speaking of the cliche itself, not the argument? Apparently you're too busy continuing to be daft.