One thing is very obvious...

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I think the lack of a seasoned veteran as assistant reared it's head this season. Sure wish Doc hadn't left.

Where do we get this notion that Doc Sadler is some kind of basketball genius?

You'd think we are talking about John Wooden or Bobby Knight...

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Blum had a stat like this earlier this season. Can't remember it exactly, but it was something like all final four teams except one goimg back however many years all had top 40 defenses. The one that didn't was either Villanova or VCU.
And we certainly don't have a top 40 defense.
Top 100 not top 40. Glad fred doesn't overreact to one game like morons in this thread.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Where do we get this notion that Doc Sadler is some kind of basketball genius?

You'd think we are talking about John Wooden or Bobby Knight...

Yeah, I hope Doc Sadler is short for DeAndre Kane and Melvin Ejim.
We made it to the S16 last year, losing to the eventual champ when we were without Georges. The two years before that we played our best ball in the tournament.

It wasn't a loss of a veteran coach, it was the loss of personnel. Previous years we had s bunch of guys that were more immune to the physical play. They were men. I don't think any opposing coach would say about this team what Brey said about 12-13. Ejim and Kane were incredibly consistent.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Not to join in and overdo comparisons of past players, but do we even have anyone on the current team that comes close to a Babb-like defender?

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
completely agree. Kansas could probably say the same thing over the last 2-3 years. ISU and KU were pretty soft and it bit them both in the a@@.

I like Hoiberg, but maybe he should invite someone like Izzo or Bo Ryan to Ames, and maybe learn a few things about big boy tournament basketball. Defense and rebounding is very lacking with this team.

Anybody would like to learn the secret of knocking the crap out of people on both ends and being called for very few fouls

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
We should foul more like those teams. Game is called like 94 NBA at this point, so foul away.

Hah in re: the comment regarding fouling. Still, the point is valid. Other teams hand-check and get up in the shorts of us for on-ball defense and you don't see the Clones giving it out as much.

If we're going to continue to solely play man-to-man half-court defense, which Fred has shown he plans on doing almost exclusively, then I hope we'll get a little bit tougher, meaner and more willing to play that tough defense every game. I noticed that our guards hardly pressure outside 25 feet from the hoop whereas other teams are hand-checking our guards from the half-court in. That often makes it harder for the offense as you're starting your offense further from the hoop.

It's almost like ISU plays defense more "as the rules provide" whereas other teams (like WVU) push, hand-check, etc. and are more pragmatic because that's how the refs let them play these days. Maybe we need to do that a little bit more often?

I know its pointless now, but I would have loved to see our team press more last year. McKay is built as the point man in a 1-3-1 full court or trapping press. Hogue and BDJ were long, lengthy, and I think would have been great trapping and getting their fingers on balls, and Morris is very adept at stealing. If those 4 were on the floor at the same time together, I just don't know why we didn't press more? We talk about Fred adapting to his personnel, and I think it would have been a perfect fit to press with those 4 more often. Nader, too is pretty solid.

I don't think we'll have as much of the pressing potential next year with Hogue and BDJ gone, but perhaps Williams and Burton will prove to be very adept defensively.

ejcs

Mar 11, 2015
Never mind the fact both teams were whistled for exactly 16 fouls. But let me guess, MSU's fouls were all hard fouls and Oklahoma's were all ticky tack...

16 should use his simple minded argument with this guy. This post is the epitome of a simple minded argument

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Do you not grasp the concept that I was speaking of the cliche itself, not the argument? Apparently you're too busy continuing to be daft.

There you go again calling names such as "dumb" and "daft," thereby proving my point.

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
OU was a physical team and they got called for a lot against MSU while MSU could foul at will for no calls

Michigan St was called for 7 more fouls than Lville and they still won but i didnt see you on here crying about the unfair calls this game..

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Michigan St was called for 7 more fouls than Lville and they still won but i didnt see you on here crying about the unfair calls this game..

I think one of the things that I see with the Elite 8/Final 4 teams, is that they all have enough depth to play through whatever type of game the officials call.

If it's a very physical game, and the refs are blowing the whistle, MSU and most of these other teams have enough depth in the front court to play that game and limit their players to 4 fouls.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
What I noticed over the weekend's games ... rebounding. Whenever the winning teams needed a possession in the last 5 minutes or so, they were able to get a huge offensive rebound. Conversely, the losers were unable to get the key defensive rebounds.

We had a big, hard-nosed defender who was a strong rebounder on the team this year and he didn't get to play so I doubt we go after a similar player this off-season. That style of play is not Fred's strength and I don't see him sacrificing firepower for toughness. Diallo is a guy who would not require that trade-off, maybe others will become available.