One thing is very obvious...

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
We don't even come close to comparing to any of these elite 8 teams. They play hard and defend. They don't go out there to play pretty ball, they go out there with the intent to lay it all on the line. After watching that ND UK game Diallo is a must along with abother big. After that If another player transfers we need to go after big physical guards as well. Easy to say but that game featured about 8 Melvin Ejims and Deandre Kanes on the court last night. Meaning grown men.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Dumbest cliche in all of sports.

There is typically a lot of truth behind generalizations and there is certainly a lot of truth behind that one.

Look at the defensive rankings for Final Four teams in the last decade.

It's an apt description of college basketball (and football too)

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
maybe some of you guys didn't watch the games? Winning teams both made majority of their shots. Wisky shot 56%, made 12-18 threes. Their "great" defense gave up 55% to Arizona. Teams in other game shot 53% and 46%. Good offense in both games.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
maybe some of you guys didn't watch the games? Winning teams both made majority of their shots. Wisky shot 56%, made 12-18 threes. Their "great" defense gave up 55% to Arizona. Teams in other game shot 53% and 46%. Good offense in both games.
I was thinking the same thing. Sure teams are playing very physical, but the teams moving on are hitting their shots. D keeps you in the game but you need to make the shots. Last night ND wasn't nearly as physical as UK, but had Grant hit the 3 at the end they are in the Final 4.
Kentucky closed strong on O and ND didn't.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
There is typically a lot of truth behind generalizations and there is certainly a lot of truth behind that one.

Look at the defensive rankings for Final Four teams in the last decade.

It's an apt description of college basketball (and football too)

Yet you're providing zero facts to back your claim. Convenient.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

To add to that. 10-12 from 3 was Wisconsin in second half. Scored 55 points.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
We are under-muscled in the post and backcourt. We lack guard help for Morris. Really need to get a bigger post and scoring guard to contend IMO.

OU was a physical team and they got called for a lot against MSU while MSU could foul at will for no calls

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Obvious thing is obvious.

But...

Win or lose, I'd rather watch the Clones as they are instead of a bunch of Orcs coached by a Mafioso.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Yet you're providing zero facts to back your claim. Convenient.

What stats did you provide to back up you're initial claim? Convenient?

I'm not going to spend my morning digging up the facts/stats but I've seen them posted several times in the last couple of years.

A large percentage of the Final Four teams in the last decade (probably much longer than a decades but that was the time frame I saw for stats) were top 20 defensive teams.

That isn't rocket science.

Go look up scoring defense rankings for the last 30 national champions in college FB and you'll find the same thing.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think this years team was okay of defense, it was just too sporadic on offense to win games. Remember at the start of the season when BDJ was on fire from everywhere? He couldn't make a thing in some games later in the season. Same with GN and Naz. Even in the game against UAB the offense was the thing that killed them. They do need to play a little more physical on defense, but realistically if ISU played like Louisville or Wisconsin on defense in the big 12 they would have a tough time winning games, since they would be in serious foul trouble in most games. Heck they got in foul trouble in a lot of games as it was.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
What stats did you provide to back up you're initial claim? Convenient?

I'm not going to spend my morning digging up the facts/stats but I've seen them posted several times in the last couple of years.

A large percentage of the Final Four teams in the last decade (probably much longer than a decades but that was the time frame I saw for stats) were top 20 defensive teams.

That isn't rocket science.

Go look up scoring defense rankings for the last 30 national champions in college FB and you'll find the same thing.

I merely said its a dumb cliche. Which it is..

If you don't want to provide the information then don't make a claim. Thx

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
We don't need better D necessarily if our O can be consistent. If we are consistent shooting we can be a FF team. When we blew it was wasn't because of bad D it was because of horrible O. Yeah, good D can keep bad O in the game, but if you don't have the bad O it's a moot point.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I merely said its a dumb cliche. Which it is..

If you don't want to provide the information then don't make a claim. Thx

You're not very bright, so I'll help you a little.

Your post above reiterates that you made the claim that the cliche was dumb. You made a claim. You brought zero facts/stats to back that up. Btw, I'm ok with that. If CF required facts to back up every claim, 90% of the posts on this board wouldn't be here.

Then you chided me for not posting facts when I disputed your original claim.

Your logic needs some work.

Reactions: CyDude16

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I've basically agreed with most of these above posts (not all) on what ISU needs. But holy cow...that means better defense, better knock-down shooting, tough /physically built grown men, a Diallo type, a scorer, and a backup point guard. Did I miss anything? Man, the offseason is going to be crucial in many ways. The last 4 seasons of Hoiball have been so much fun, that the lofty expectations and negativity put on this team when they didn't succeed every time was overdone, imo. OU, KU, WVirg, Baylor, etc. have just as much talent coming back and we all know how the Big12 did against the field in the tournament. Should we be excited and expecting to challenge for the Big12 next year?.....You bet. Advance in the NCAA's?...Absolutely. But...obviously our team is far from complete, nor do they boast the overall talent of some of these teams we're watching in the elite 8. I believe CFH is doing great with what talent he actually has compared to other teams, imo. I promise to enjoy next season, but sure and heck won't go nuts with the guarantees/lofty predictions, either.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
You're not very bright, so I'll help you a little.

Your post above reiterates that you made the claim that the cliche was dumb. You made a claim. You brought zero facts/stats to back that up. Btw, I'm ok with that. If CF required facts to back up every claim, 90% of the posts on this board wouldn't be here.

Then you chided me for not posting facts when I disputed your original claim.

Your logic needs some work.

Lol whatever you say, man. I merely just stated its a dumb cliche..

did I ever say defense doesn't help? Nah.... Maybe you're the one who isn't very bright.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
OU was a physical team and they got called for a lot against MSU while MSU could foul at will for no calls
That's an exception when it comes to Izzo and MSU. Every MSU game I have ever watched has been ridiculously lopsided in how it's officiated. We think KU gets calls, it's nothing like MSU.