Once Prohm is gone, I would hire........

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
Thad Matta if he is looking to jump back into the profession. Why?

He's only 54 and has a tremendous resume. He coached at:

Butler
Spent one year there and won the league title and went to the tournament.

Xavier
Spent three seasons there where he won the league title his first two seasons.....then he finished third in third season but made up for it by leading them to the Elite Eight

Ohio State
13 seasons that included 5 Big Ten titles, 2 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8, and 2 Final Four's (including getting to one title game)......they also won an NIT

He had a great staff.....he and his staff were great recruiters who brought in big-time talent.
His teams were well-prepared and he clearly showed he can coach at the highest level.

I pick Matta because I don't think Brad Stevens is leaving the Celtics anytime soon (and if he did I think it would be for the Indiana job once Archie gets canned) and because he's about 10 years younger than John Beilein......I would fine with Beilein but I'd prefer Matta

If Matta is not the man, where do the Cyclones turn:

FIVE candidates that are already head-coaches that I think that Jamie will consider:

1)Darian DeVries.....he has done a solid job at Drake but as we saw with McDermott and John Groce at Illinois and many other mid-major coaches, some guys just can't take the next step.....he could be a great hire but he's unproven on this level.

2)Kelvin Sampson.....I personally am not a fan of Sampson but he's a tremendous coach, who has won at every stop. He has Houston in the top ten after a great season last year. At age 65, he might want one more run in a bigger conference.

3)Mark Pope.......is already 43-13 at BYU in his first two seasons and has them safely in this year's tournament. Could be an option Jamie considers.

4)T.J. Otzelberger........some people have been written that hiring T.J. would be another Prohm......that couldn't be further from the truth. T.J. is a way better fit for ISU but I still don't think he'll be the hire. He did well at South Dakota State and even though he's been .500 at UNLV, they finished 2nd in conference his first season and he has a great recruiting class coming in next year. I covered ISU sports for about 4 years when he was an assistant and got to know him well and he's a tremendous evaluator of talent. As he is showing at UNLV, he would have no trouble recruiting talent to Ames. Him and his wife love ISU and if hired, he would make this a final destination job.

5)Dennis Gates......you might not have heard of him but he's possibly about to win Coach of the Year in the Horizon League (he won it last year in his first season also) as his Cleveland State team might be heading to the tournament. They were Co-Champs but obviously have to win the conference tournament. He's young and was a top assistant at Florida State for 8 years.......he brought in a ton a talent for Leonard Hamilton and is considered a tremendous recruiter. He is from Chicago but played his college at Cal so he's got recruiting ties all over the country.

He might not be the choice but he should be considered.

TWO assistant coaches to consider:

Jon Scheyer.......considered a great recruiter at Duke......he's young, led Duke to a title as a player, and could be a great hire. Duke assistants have had a really weird run at it as head coaches so you just don't know......Quin Snyder ran into trouble at Mizzou but is thriving in the NBA......Mike Brey crushed it at ND until the last two years......Bobby Hurley has been very good until this season.......Jeff Capel and Wojo have also been up and down.....

Saddi Washington.....247 sports voted him the #1 recruiter among all D1 assistant coaches last year so it's probably not surprising that Michigan has the #1 recruiting class for 2021. He coached under Beilein and then stayed with Howard. He also served as an assistant coach for Nate Oats when Oats coached at Romulus High School in Michigan.......what does this mean? He's learned from great coaches and is considered a great recruiter......so I would at least interview the guy......he might be a future star as a head coach

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
There is a thread directly talking about this and these coaches...it’s 1,000 posts long.

Some Iowa State fans have a little Tennessee football fan in them. John Beilein, Thad Matta, BRAD STEVENS (are you kidding me...), aren’t coming to coach a historically mediocre basketball program that is staring at a massive rebuild.

ohly2311

Jan 7, 2014
Does it really hurt you guys that much if I didn't choose to post my take on the coaching search in one of the other threads?? (there are other threads because other people like me also choose to start a thread.....not just one)

Do you really need to spend your Sunday evening losing your mind over this.......I don't care what other people do or think when it comes to threads......I started a fresh thread with my opinion on the matter......my sister is currently dealing with breast cancer and you think I give two sh.ts about you getting butt hurt over me starting a new thread......sorry but I could care less.......

If you don't like my take on the matter then that's fine but quit whining just to whine........

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There is a thread directly talking about this and these coaches...it’s 1,000 posts long.

Some Iowa State fans have a little Tennessee football fan in them. John Beilein, Thad Matta, BRAD STEVENS (are you kidding me...), aren’t coming to coach a historically mediocre basketball program that is staring at a massive rebuild.
Matta probably won't happen but he's a realistic candidate. Lol to Stevens though I hadn't seen that anywhere

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Does it really hurt you guys that much if I didn't choose to post my take on the coaching search in one of the other threads?? (there are other threads because other people like me also choose to start a thread.....not just one)

Do you really need to spend your Sunday evening losing your **** over this.......I don't care what other people do or think when it comes to threads......I started a fresh thread with my opinion on the matter......my sister is currently dealing with breast cancer and you think I give two ***** about you getting butt hurt over me starting a new thread......sorry but I could care less.......

If you don't like my take on the matter then that's fine but quit ******** just to *****........

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

Do you really need to spend your Sunday evening losing your **** over this.......I don't care what other people do or think when it comes to threads......I started a fresh thread with my opinion on the matter......my sister is currently dealing with breast cancer and you think I give two ***** about you getting butt hurt over me starting a new thread......sorry but I could care less.......

If you don't like my take on the matter then that's fine but quit ******** just to *****........
What kind of hot dogs do you like?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Short and to the point this time. Now you're getting it.

Reactions: Cyclonick182

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015

Do you really need to spend your Sunday evening losing your mind over this.......I don't care what other people do or think when it comes to threads......I started a fresh thread with my opinion on the matter......my sister is currently dealing with breast cancer and you think I give two sh.ts about you getting butt hurt over me starting a new thread......sorry but I could care less.......

If you don't like my take on the matter then that's fine but quit whining just to whine........
Settle the **** down dude

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That should be a thread.

giphy.gif

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Sorry to hear about your sister. There aren’t issues with you starting a new thread but you’ve started 2 in 15 minutes about topics that are widely discussed here every day. It could be that people are ribbing you because you feel your thoughts are more important than those threads and needed their own. It’s a public, free message board - do what you want. But you should expect some push back, no need to be so defensive about it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron