On That Note: I Want(ed) My MTV

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
This is my lead-off, although I don’t consider it among my favorites — it rises near the top mainly because it marks a peak of Jackson’s music-video impact & creativity, roughly a decade after MTV’s launch. It has every indulgence of the form, and then some. If this video didn’t exist, it would be necessary to invent it.

The constant changing faces is what I always remember from this one.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, you stole one of my combo-post choices. :) ... (But I didn't think of the David Cross/Ginsberg aspect -- Heh!!)

I could go on and on but Weird Al's ability to pay strong tribute in a light hearted way but then pull it off lyrically like that always blew my mind.

Pretty sure that's Cross in Al's video btw...he was also in 'I'm Not There'.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Only very few songs can make me instantly fall in love with when I listen to them for the first time. Uptown Funk is one of the few. The first time I heard it is when I watched this video. It remains to be one of my top 10 songs of the 2010 decade. Not to mention is that Michelle Pfeiffer is one of my favorite actresses so it adds another level of my affection for this song.

It opens with This hit, that ice cold...Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold...

This MV is truly a masterpiece in terms of choreography and editing.

Right now this video is still ranked in the top 10 most-watched YouTube MVs of all time.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
By the way, I thought this week's On That Note topic is about "conference realignment" since that's pretty much the most trendy topic on CF.

Anyway, this Taylor Swift's MV will fit the bill. This is going to be the theme for the upcoming Big 12 season.

Bad Blood won the 2015 MTV Music Award "Vidoe of the Year".

Reactions: Cydar and MJ29

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
When it comes to Beck, I could choose at least a baker’s half-dozen videos

I’ll go with this first for the Mad magazine fold-in concept ... I'll post 1 or 2 others later, if they aren’t taken before I get there.

Good song. That beginning makes me think of the old school video game systems.

Reactions: cyclones500