*** Official West Virginia Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I've been a very big Solomon critic.

Very impressed w/ his play last night.

Also Lard down low as well. Lard outjumped for rebounds while Solo just took them away.

Need those two to play pissed.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Nope--not buying any of it.
1) We have the resources that we shouldn't have to wait for someone to "learn what it takes to win in this league." This is Power 5, the Big XII, not the American Red Cross.
2) The fact that we have such a thin roster should be enough to show him the door. Did the fact that we had 4 Senior starters last year sneak up on CSP? Good God, he was hired before their Junior year. He had 2 years to avoid this "rebuilding."
3) In game decisions, especially concerning Time Outs, are really shaky. Way too many times he calls time out after the horse has left the barn. Also, end of game offense in tight games is just an embarrassment and has already cost us 3-4 wins this year.
4) Seemingly everyone around the program is willing to give him a Mulliigan this year and are waiting for next year. That benevolence sucks, especially for a Power 5 team, but next year better be a Round of 32 at least or this guy needs to be sent packing.

That post is the equivalent of shoving 10 pounds of **** into a 5 pound sack.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
He's not just coaching for this year, he's coaching these guys for the next 2-4 years. Lessons learned now will pay dividends down the road. Bad habits broken now will pay dividends down the road.
Hence the tough love with Lard and an occasional sit out for some minutes...Prohm is "breaking the horse" with Lard to produce a much better player.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Hence the tough love with Lard and an occasional sit out for some minutes...Prohm is "breaking the horse" with Lard to produce a much better player.

He has sat Wigginton for long stretches too at times.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Nope--not buying any of it.
1) We have the resources that we shouldn't have to wait for someone to "learn what it takes to win in this league." This is Power 5, the Big XII, not the American Red Cross.
2) The fact that we have such a thin roster should be enough to show him the door. Did the fact that we had 4 Senior starters last year sneak up on CSP? Good God, he was hired before their Junior year. He had 2 years to avoid this "rebuilding."
3) In game decisions, especially concerning Time Outs, are really shaky. Way too many times he calls time out after the horse has left the barn. Also, end of game offense in tight games is just an embarrassment and has already cost us 3-4 wins this year.
4) Seemingly everyone around the program is willing to give him a Mulliigan this year and are waiting for next year. That benevolence sucks, especially for a Power 5 team, but next year better be a Round of 32 at least or this guy needs to be sent packing.

Every team in the county except maybe 5 go through a rebuild. Hell ISU has one of the longest runs in the country at making the tourney. This program has had an amazing run the last few years, the best in school history, and it looks to be getting set for another. It is clear you have no idea how basketball rosters work and you cannot just stock pile players. Everyone knew this rebuild was coming 3 years ago, but the way the roster was there was little that could be done about it. If you cannot be happy at where this program is and give the guy running it the benefit of the doubt, why even be a fan?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Every team in the county except maybe 5 go through a rebuild. Hell ISU has one of the longest runs in the country at making the tourney. This program has had an amazing run the last few years, the best in school history, and it looks to be getting set for another. It is clear you have no idea how basketball rosters work and you cannot just stock pile players. Everyone knew this rebuild was coming 3 years ago, but the way the roster was there was little that could be done about it. If you cannot be happy at where this program is and give the guy running it the benefit of the doubt, why even be a fan?

The best in the history of the state of Iowa!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

You just have to recruit really good freshmen who are willing to sit the bench for 2 years so they are ready to play as Juniors once some of the best players in ISU history graduate. Simple.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

He could have hit on some higher quality grad transfers for this year is the only miss he really had. But not going to make a big deal about that. Team would have been flawed either way, but Brown/Igor might have covered some of those gaps.

Pretty unbelievable roster rebuild to be honest - getting some pretty high impact freshman/recruits in short time. The great recruiting class miss of Custer/Tsamp was the big hole here.

Pretty pumped for the future of the program.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Not sure if anyone has commented on the ESPN broadcast of the game. To me, it seemed like they blamed WV for losing rather than giving credit to our guys for winning. Kinda ticked me off, but I guess when you have only 2 conference wins, respect is going to be slow in coming. Plus, they barely mentioned Talley and I thought he was a big part of the win, a big part of breaking the press.

They've been rated as high as 2 and have a win over Virginia so about anything they say is going to come off that way.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
One thing I thought we did different was to be very slow picking the ball up to inbound after a made basket. Instead of trying to hurry up and inbound before they can set up the press we waited until our guys were settled into position. It was all very methodical and not chaotic which can lead to confusion.

At first, I thought the slow-inbound strategy was ill-advised. I figured a better approach was to get the ball in play quickly. But as the game progressed, I realized the strategy made more sense. As you said, it was less chaotic — Press Virginia doesn't necessarily try to force turnovers immediately, they want opponents to get in a frenzy and make hurried decisions.

The gameplan vs. the press worked well. It was calm in the backcourt, and when ISU advanced beyond half court with a smidgen of advantage, players took it into the lane and either challenged at the hoop or could distribute to shooters or initiate ball movement.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
ISU has always done well with breaking the press. What has given ISU the most issues in the past was WVU was so physical and our team wasn't made the handle that. The way this WVU team pressed allowed ISU to play fast and not have to run a half court offense all the time, and this team is pretty good when they play fast. Its the half court that gives them fits.
They didn't have trouble inbounding the ball this game, which has been a staple all year long for this team. That is what I was most surprised with

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We would have given up if the players did. The fans feed off the players much more than the other way around.
17 pt first half - plenty of reason for the fans to have left at halftime. Some did. I still say they fed off the encouragement of the fans as much as the fans fed off their increased level of effort. :)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You just have to recruit really good freshmen who are willing to sit the bench for 2 years so they are ready to play as Juniors once some of the best players in ISU history graduate. Simple.

And who wouldn't want to do that in today's era where transferring out due to lack of playing time is absolutely normal?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He could have hit on some higher quality grad transfers for this year is the only miss he really had. But not going to make a big deal about that. Team would have been flawed either way, but Brown/Igor might have covered some of those gaps.
That, and getting a redshirt spring recruit or landing a juco in 2016. We all understand what he was trying to do with Holden and Bowie, but that was a weak spring, too. You easily could have gotten that production from an average juco

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Pretty unbelievable roster rebuild to be honest - getting some pretty high impact freshman/recruits in short time. The great recruiting class miss of Custer/Tsamp was the big hole here.

Pretty pumped for the future of the program.

Shayok and Jacobson are good pickups for guys to redshirt.

I think the two misses that really hurt were Juiston and Brown. CW said we had at least a 50-50 shot with each of those, but neither worked out.

A rotation of...

Weiler-Babb
Jackson
Wigginton
Brown
Juiston
Lard
Young

...probably has at least a few more wins right now and is solidly on the bubble.

Oh well. Water under the bridge. Prohm has found talent nonetheless, and I am sure nice recruiting classes will keep rolling in at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron