*** Official Tulsa Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Observations on playing time tonight: Wigginton only played 18 minutes and was not in during crunch time; Jakolby Long WAS in during 2nd half crunch time and played 18 minutes ... No PT for Lewis tonight ... NWB has played every minute so far in this tournament. I wonder if ther is a relationship between the 2nd half lulls in the 2 tourney games with him not getting a break ... Brase played 18 tonight, including crunch time in the 2nd half. I thought he might play less than that but foul trouble with Lard and Solo may have impacted.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think prohm is overly loyal to some of the 5th year transfers he gets. Hopefully he figures out the bench players faster than he did with Holden and Bowie not a knock on them just started way to long because of the SR status.

Beverly has a place, and that might be with Lard on the floor as a backstop. Does some good things, but needs to limit the deficiencies or the minutes may decrease as younger guys learn (doing just that for us can be valuable).

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I guess I've really liked what Beverly has brought to the table so far. The only one I see having trouble seeing the floor will be Lewis unless he can get his shot figured out.

He's ok, but is he even 6'4"? I feel like he'll get eaten alive in B12 actioin. His shot needs to start falling if he's going to keep seeing the minutes he's currently getting imho.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Whew. That got ugly on defense. Tulsa has some players, and the refs were very inconsistent.

Still, early season lineup management isn’t a strength of Prohm’s. Beverly had no chance on defense. Play Talley at the four. Long was on fire in the first half, but if you’re going to have someone out there to drive after you burn clock, put in Wigginton.

Long wasn't in the game late for his offense although he did hit one of the biggest shots of the game. Wigginton was having trouble keeping anyone in front of him.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, if Prohm had realized who is best player was prior to Monday, do we win the UWM game? I guess we should be thankful it only took camp, two exhibitions, and two games.

Now I hope he can figure out that it’s Young, Lard, and Brase, with Talley playing the four when needed. Beverly will have his occasional moments, but he’s mostly a few possession guy.

You know, since you obviously think so highly of yourself as a brilliant basketball mind, I suggest you turn in your resume to CSP to be a volunteer assistant coach. That way, he can learn from your supreme wisdom and then we can truly become a "blue blood" program, all thanks to you.

Why not? You want to coach, might as well make an honest effort towards it.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Nice win Clones!
-Donovan is starting to figured it out, which is nice. He got stuck with a short shot clock a couple times, but otherwise I think he only forced a couple of shots.
-NWB looks great right now, he looks like he's making the jump.
-I think I'd like to see Hans start; then come off the bench with Talley, Long, and Lard. Beverly and Lewis will probalby be the odd men out.
Very nice win. Tulsa has some talent, and with the way they were calling things, some mismatches.

NWB is good 3P shot away from being a legitimate Big 12 1st option. I’m guessing he would have a Kane like year if surrounded by similar talent.

I am guessing they’re trying to save Brase some by not starting him. I agree though that Beverly

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
it is what it is. The team sounded like it found some things tonight, and then forgot them for 5 minutes of the game. Defense needs some work, and the post players got way too many fouls. Feels like the team is getting better, which is all you can really ask with this much inexperience in the line up. Prohm is a good coach, despite what some of the experts on here think.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I guess I've really liked what Beverly has brought to the table so far. The only one I see having trouble seeing the floor will be Lewis unless he can get his shot figured out.
Or defense. This team needs defense like a thirsty man in the desert needs a drink.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You know, since you obviously think so highly of yourself as a brilliant basketball mind, I suggest you turn in your resume to CSP to be a volunteer assistant coach. That way, he can learn from your supreme wisdom and then we can truly become a "blue blood" program, all thanks to you.

Why not? You want to coach, might as well make an honest effort towards it.
So, you either disagree with the assessment or the delivery. If the former, your resume must be already turned in. If the latter you’re too sensitive and it’s not worth either of our time, so please add me to your ignore list.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Observations on playing time tonight: Wigginton only played 18 minutes and was not in during crunch time; Jakolby Long WAS in during 2nd half crunch time and played 18 minutes ... No PT for Lewis tonight ... NWB has played every minute so far in this tournament. I wonder if ther is a relationship between the 2nd half lulls in the 2 tourney games with him not getting a break ... Brase played 18 tonight, including crunch time in the 2nd half. I thought he might play less than that but foul trouble with Lard and Solo may have impacted.
I think you are onto something here. I had the same thought. Dude needs some blow now and then.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Long wasn't in the game late for his offense although he did hit one of the biggest shots of the game. Wigginton was having trouble keeping anyone in front of him.
It’s true, but there were many dead-balls (due to our forwards breathing too hard) that presented offense/defense substitutions opportunities.

• Agree

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, you either disagree with the assessment or the delivery. If the former, your resume must be already turned in. If the latter you’re too sensitive and it’s not worth either of our time, so please add me to your ignore list.

Both, actually. And unlike you I am not arrogant enough or so full of myself that I feel I am a better coach than someone who has made it to a Sweet 16, won a Big 12 tournament championship and has a winning record in the NCAA tournament.

Good idea about putting you on ignore though. The basketball season is already long enough without having to put up with blowhards on here pounding their chests after every game bragging about how much they think they know.

Bye Felicia...

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
ISU is 2-0 when I can't watch the game.

Suppose I'll have to fall on the sword this season.

If it results in a tourney bid, your welcome.

Last year I started going to movies during road games (starting with the Oklahoma game). For various reasons, I was unable to go to a movie during the Vanderbilt or Texas game. I was undefeated until the West Virginia game (Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, and Texas Tech). We all have to make sacrifices.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Huge test on Sunday. 6'7" guard Chandler Hutchinson will play in NBA. BSU should finish at or very near top of Mountain West. Should be a good measuring stick. Glad it isn't until Sunday so Prohm can keep on coaching and guys can rest some legs.
Yep, nearly a 7 foot wingspan, too. He’s a recruiting dream in which a good recruit grows three inches after arriving and thus grows into a great player.

• Informative

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Both, actually. And unlike you I am not arrogant enough or so full of myself that I feel I am a better coach than someone who has made it to a Sweet 16, won a Big 12 tournament championship and has a winning record in the NCAA tournament.

Good idea about putting you on ignore though. The basketball season is already long enough without having to put up with putting up with blowhards on here pounding their chests after every game bragging about how much they think they know.

Bye Felicia...
What a hypocrite you are. Definitely not worth responding to you past this- posting criticism isn’t declaring you’re better than Prohm. Good luck in life.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron