***Official Men's Basketball National Championship Game Thread***

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yep, no play on the ball

giphy.gif

He was at least reaching toward the front of his body rather than just putting two hands on his back and shoving. The reach is actually more of a play on the ball than anything else.

You basically need to reach for the ball while fouling and they shouldn't call an F1.

• Agree
Reactions: stormchaser2014

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The head of officiating was in the studio and said it was called correctly. I think he makes enough money to consider him and expert.
I didn't hear him. Do you believe if the player didn't fall to the floor, from an inadvertent trip, that a F1 would have still been called?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The head of officiating was in the studio and said it was called correctly. I think he makes enough money to consider him and expert.

Except that officials almost always back each other's calls up. Its like the first rule of officiating.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Except that officials almost always back each other's calls up. Its like the first rule of officiating.

At least the officials in game were smart enough to just cal lit a foul at first and go to the monitor to assess the flagrant 1. That gives them a chance to talk it over and confirm.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I didn't hear him. Do you believe if the player didn't fall to the floor, from an inadvertent trip, that a F1 would have still been called?

He stated the trip shouldn't have affected the call. The fact that he didn't reach toward the front of the body to make an attempt at the ball is what made it an F1.

I don't doubt that the player "selling" the foul didn't have anything to do with it though.

Basically the rule is you have to reach for the ball rather than just shove in the back. It's not always called consistently but I think they got it right this time.

• Agree
Reactions: stormchaser2014

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
He stated the trip shouldn't have affected the call. The fact that he didn't reach toward the front of the body to make an attempt at the ball is what made it an F1.

I don't doubt that the player "selling" the foul didn't have anything to do with it though.

Basically the rule is you have to reach for the ball rather than just shove in the back. It's not always called consistently but I think they got it right this time.

Exactly. Rodriguez has both hands behind, or not clearly in front of the Arkansas guy, Fisher-Davis had at least one hand in front of the Northwestern guy.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Exactly. Rodriguez has both hands behind, or not clearly in front of the Arkansas guy, Fisher-Davis had at least one hand in front of the Northwestern guy.

Pretty sure that's why most of the time, when you see a guy fouling someone at the end of the game, they basically give him a hug and reach around toward the ball. Makes it obvious you're trying to foul without making it an FI or a Tech.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Pretty sure that's why most of the time, when you see a guy fouling someone at the end of the game, they basically give him a hug and reach around toward the ball. Makes it obvious you're trying to foul without making it an FI or a Tech.

Yep. They took "Intentional" out of the rule book, so you can't call a foul by that name. Has to be a flagrant or a common foul. 2 hands to the back of a player and giving even the slightest push or hold is not a common foul, even though it may be called as such at first.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Every time I watch McDermott at Creighton I'm overwhelmed with a feeling of disappointment in how he handled the ISU job.

Help Support Us

Become a patron