*** Official March Madness NCAA Tournament Thread 2023 ***

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I would say the Big 12 just beat up on each other but that's a super lame excuse. Several teams were just more vulnerable and inconsistent.

I've enjoyed watching the Big East this year and thought they had several real athletic, physical teams.

If Self was coaching Kansas would still be alive IMO.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It's easy to hate on the Zags when they basically get two months off prior to the tournament. They can win 90% of their WCC games just by showing up.
Yeah, and for that reason I think a move to the B12 would be a bad idea for the Zags. That rock fight they just had last night was with the 6th place team in the league on a neutral court. See how easy it is to win 30 games a year when that becomes one of your easier opponents, and you get to play them in a hostile arena after a 4 hour flight.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, and for that reason I think a move to the B12 would be a bad idea for the Zags. That rock fight they just had last night was with the 6th place team in the league on a neutral court. See how easy it is to win 30 games a year when that becomes one of your easier opponents, and you get to play them in a hostile arena after a 4 hour flight.
I guess it depends on what your definition of a bad idea is. I would have to think Zags fans are tired of watching them just crush WCC teams. Gonzaga would still have really good teams but yeah they would definitely need to temper expectations because they would definitely struggle too.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I guess it depends on what your definition of a bad idea is. I would have to think Zags fans are tired of watching them just crush WCC teams. Gonzaga would still have really good teams but yeah they would definitely need to temper expectations because they would definitely struggle too.

What type of person would get tired of winning big with no stress? That would be awesome!!

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Big 12 was the best conference but doesn't have the teams with the best shot at winning a title. KU and Texas had the best chances but their bracket and Self not coaching pretty much ended that possibility. Texas has the next best shot at getting to the Final Four and winning a title. KSU is in for a tough one against MSU but even if they can get by them I just don't see them beating Tennessee.
I think Kstate has one of the best draws in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 if they get that far.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What type of person would get tired of winning big with no stress? That would be awesome!!
From an entertainment standpoint it would get real old. As stressful as the Big 12 games have been the last few years I wouldn't trade it for the world. Pretty much every game in the entire conference was a contested affair.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
From an entertainment standpoint it would get real old. As stressful as the Big 12 games have been the last few years I wouldn't trade it for the world. Pretty much every game in the entire conference was a contested affair.
You’re also only winning the WCC which absolutely no one wants to brag about. Like congrats we beat a bunch of teams that could legitimately lose to some YMCA champions. Well done!

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
True confession: I will root for Terry Gus Fring's team. And the kitties. Because Big XII.

East Region: No. 3 Kansas State, No. 4 Tennessee, No. 7 Michigan State, No. 9 Florida Atlantic

Midwest Region: No. 1 Houston, No. 2 Texas, No. 3 Xavier, No. 5 Miami

South Region: No. 1 Alabama, No. 5 San Diego State, No. 6 Creighton, No. 15 Princeton

West Region: No. 2 UCLA, No. 3 Gonzaga, No. 4 UConn, No. 8 Arkansas

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

It would be boring. Not that we've seen that sort of thing in P6 basketball for a number of years. But in the past, there have been those situations in football where schools (not ISU) are so heavily favored in most of their games that it takes the fun of the regular season away. Even these last couple years, a team like tOSU was expected to win every game convincingly until the Michigan game. Then, all you have is disappointment if you lose.

The Big12 is perfect right now. Yes, perhaps maybe that leads to a disappointing tournament because teams are worn out. But January through March is incredible night in night out.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
True confession: I will root for Terry Gus Fring's team. And the kitties. Because Big XII.

East Region: No. 3 Kansas State, No. 4 Tennessee, No. 7 Michigan State, No. 9 Florida Atlantic

Midwest Region: No. 1 Houston, No. 2 Texas, No. 3 Xavier, No. 5 Miami

South Region: No. 1 Alabama, No. 5 San Diego State, No. 6 Creighton, No. 15 Princeton

West Region: No. 2 UCLA, No. 3 Gonzaga, No. 4 UConn, No. 8 Arkansas

The amount of money Texas has secured off their Los Pollos Hermanos NIL deal isn't even fair though.

Reactions: BryceC

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's easy to hate on the Zags when they basically get two months off prior to the tournament. They can win 90% of their WCC games just by showing up.
I have mixed feelings about Gonzaga.

On one hand, GU gradually built enough postseason success that it was able to get some non-con scheduling with P6 programs and get invites to high-profile early-season tournaments. Gonzaga performed well enough against that level of competition to get some cred and build tournament profile, over the course of quite a few years.

On other hand, it can coast through most of WCC every season without much resistance. Usually only a couple of teams legitimately can push and defeat Zag (usually SMC, occasionally BYU) and maybe a rotating outlier having a big year (USF last season, for example). But 67% of the league is no threat. Even "contenders" that get a home win vs. Zags get buried in Spokane.

Granted, it isn't Gonzaga's fault the conference is weak. Only major gripe is it tends to not slip in tournament profile by crushing weaklings ... pretty much anything after New Year's Day is a matter of avoiding bad losses. However well the non-conference goes, GU isn't going to drop much in seeding.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have mixed feelings about Gonzaga.

On one hand, GU gradually built enough postseason success that it was able to get some non-con scheduling with P6 programs and get invites to high-profile early-season tournaments. Gonzaga performed well enough against that level of competition to get some cred and build tournament profile, over the course of quite a few years.

On other hand, it can coast through most of WCC every season without much resistance. Usually only a couple of teams legitimately can push and defeat Zag (usually SMC, occasionally BYU) and maybe a rotating outlier having a big year (USF last season, for example). But 67% of the league is no threat. Even "contenders" that get a home win vs. Zags get buried in Spokane.

Granted, it isn't Gonzaga's fault the conference is weak. Only major gripe is it tends to not slip in tournament profile by crushing weaklings ... pretty much anything after New Year's Day is a matter of avoiding bad losses. However well the non-conference goes, GU isn't going to drop much in seeding.
I do appreciate that Gonzaga is aggressive with their non-con but teams are still pretty rusty and figuring things out early on too.

Reactions: cyclones500

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
One thing I heard someone talking about how to fix some of the ref issues in the tournament is just use crews that ref together during the season and stop trying to cobble together refs that don't work together at all during the year. I do think that could help. You see some huge inconsistencies in these games even within one game.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
One thing I heard someone talking about how to fix some of the ref issues in the tournament is just use crews that ref together during the season and stop trying to cobble together refs that don't work together at all during the year. I do think that could help. You see some huge inconsistencies in these games even within one game.
I would love to see some year round money for the refs in the new NCAA tournament deal. The refs are a problem but unfortunately they are part time employees who really don’t make enough money for how much of an impact they have on the game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron