***Official Kansas @ ISU postgame thread***

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Anyone think KU will be a very dangerous team come March like I do? Along with the Morris brothers, Selby should have his feet well under him by then, and that will be a three-headed monster that will be extremely hard to stop IMO.

I disagree. KU has #1 seed talent and great athletes, but they will run into a team with equally good bigs and KU's guards will have to step up and win. I was not impressed with their guards as much as I thought I would be.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is a post from the KU board.

"Amen! KU should have won by 20. ISU is terrible. Incredibly low BB IQ all night."

I posted this on phog.net

No disrespect to ISU, but you have basically five guys. None of them would even make KU's starting line up.. Credit to your coaching staff and crowd for keeping them in the game.

This is one of the dumbest KU teams in recent memory and it is incredibly frustrating to watch them let teams with inferior talent hang around.

I think Diante could be in the mix for KU's strating 5.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just too much to handle, KU is really a load. Great effort, going to have to keep brinign that, not sure if that is possible as thin as we are, bound to be some tough games on the road.

Felt like a few times we got tired and relaxed defensively, but we were overmatched pretty much everywhere.

Thought DG might have played his best game as a Cyclone.

Scotty not 100% and probably not even close, not sure what to do there, we need him on the floor but he isn't healthy right now.

I just hope we can keep it up and win a few games, losing close like this can take it's toll after awhile
One thing - Jake needs to find some shots he can hit with the bigger players in conference.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

"Amen! KU should have won by 20. ISU is terrible. Incredibly low BB IQ all night."

No disrespect to ISU, but you have basically five guys. None of them would even make KU's starting line up.. Credit to your coaching staff and crowd for keeping them in the game.

This is one of the dumbest KU teams in recent memory and it is incredibly frustrating to watch them let teams with inferior talent hang around.

I agree with almost everything that you're saying, and I respect that you're a stand-up guy enough to post here about it.

The part I disagree with is obviously that "ISU is terrible." We're not as talented as KU, no doubt, but our guys know how to play together and give everything they have. We have enough talent and enough tenacity to indicate that we're decent. Not world-beaters, certainly not last-place when all is said and done.

Other than that, I agree with most of what you're saying.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I honestly don't care what you can and can not stand, but the fact remains that we played the #2 team in the country and made them earn their win in Ames. You seem to think there is absolutely no solid basis for rankings - I disagree. We also saw a very inspired team play tonight which I consider a plus, regardless of the win.

Ouch, looks like I struck a nerve but this is a message board where i can post my opinion.......I just believe the rankings argument is just a cop out as another reason why we lost....its used way too often around here it seems like...

Last edited:

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
One more thought: despite the loss, tonight was a lot of fun. Everybody in CA was having a great time, moreso than any game I've been to before. A win would have been huge, but keep playing like this and we'll have great student attendance for all games, not just the KU's of the world.

acody

Nov 25, 2006

You basically are a D-bag. You should fit in well with your self described dumbest low BB IQ team.
Exactly why I do not like KU basketball. You're just like Nebraska football fan. Elite dreamers. Go away.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just got back a little bit ago. Obviously disappointed with the loss, but damn i love the fight in our team.

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
You basically are a D-bag. You should fit in well with your self described dumbest low BB IQ team.
Exactly why I do not like KU basketball. You're just like Nebraska football fan. Elite dreamers. Go away.

Sometimes I think Nebraska football fans take off their red sweatshirts to reveal their blue Kansas t-shirts when football season switches to basketball season. At least it seems that way by how each team's fans act in Ames.

Cubsfan

Feb 9, 2009
Des Moines
Word. With this team, you really can't believe that it's over. There is always another comeback or run in them, and they will fight to the very last second.

We are not a last place team.

I think/hope you are right. The thing that scares me is lack of depth and big man. That said I'm really excited to see how we improve the rest of the year and hopefully start winning these close games.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames

Speaking of low IQ, I had to fix your post so it would properly quote your post, because apparently you can't figure it out. But why don't you suck one and go lose in the second round of the NCAA tournament to a MWC again.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines

What's really sad is that our "terrible" guys are able to take your well-compensated Mickey D's all Americans to the wire. Nono, we prefer hard workers that aren't coddled and paid under the table. You don't win championships because, as our friend LeBron would say, karma is a b****.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Re: ***Official Kansas @ ISU postgame thread

NIT here we come!

1. Chickens
2. Hatch

I know, that sounds glass-half-empty.

We all know the cards dealt for this season (thin roster, first-time coach, et al) and I think Fred has established building blocks for an exciting system and instilled positive mental approach for the team.

It's also refreshing that the team refuses to mail it in. Nebraska and KU games both could have gotten out of hand and I admit I was relieved this didn't turn into one of those gradual 25-point beatdowns. (The next step is finding a way to avoid the hole-digging in the first place, but you can't have it all).

I do hope, though, that ISU can start to get over the hump in games like these. It may be infrequent this year, but they're working hard and doing some good things and a W now and then would be a just reward.

The big-picture aspect holds promise, but this team deserves more than a string of moral victories and near-miss material.

motorCYcle

Jun 18, 2008
Ames, Iowa
Because I don't think the quality of my video deserves a new thread, here is part of the pregame presentation for those who weren't able to go:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpf7qiE-2ic"]YouTube - Johnny Orr Pregame Presentation[/ame]

ess108

Dec 13, 2010
Fairmont, WV
I was really impressed with the team's effort. Kansas made a couple of runs that put them up by double digits in the 2nd half, but the clones fought back and made a game of it (even though we have a short bench and fatigue was setting in). I agree that this was Garrett's best game as a Cyclone. Garrett always says he's been working on his jump shot and this was the first game I've actually seen his jump shot go in on a somewhat consistent basis. He's a good shooter if he shoots in rhythm. I can only help but wonder what would have happened if the clones had someone who could play some type of post defense. A good sign of things to come.

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
Just wanted to say that I am so proud to be a part of this university and its family. after attending a year at community college I had No Idea where I wanted to go to school. I was sold on UNI, I was one click away from signing up.when I visited Iowa state I felt something that no other school could offer. there is nothing like Big Xii university and all it offers. Its days like today win or lose you cant replace the feel of Big time athletics.

sorry for the emotional moment but I am so thankful to be apart of this family.
Cyclone lifer and supporter.

Reactions: ca4cy and bos

roosh

Dec 13, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
A lot of good comments. In response to the KU board posts, that is not something to get upset about. That is how other programs will view the Clones until we get some consistent success. ISU right now does NOT have the horses to hang with the big boys in the top 5 of the nation, and KU is a legit top 5. That being said, when you don't have the talent, effort and execution are great equalizers. And I think BOTH teams played pretty hard. As has been said, Freddie wanted this game.

ISU could not/cannot defend the post. Put Jamie down there and he will get three fouls before tipoff. Anytime we play a team with top tier post players like the Morris clones we will see this story repeated.

The best is yet to come. I think the next few years it is going to go from being good to being great to be a Cyclone!

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
It is good to get a game like this under our belt. ISU has not seen a single player like Morris(actually, both of them). Getting 50 dropped in by the twins is a concern. A glance into the looking glass, for sure. Garrett has the green light, and although I question some of the shots, coach has told him to keep putting it up, so he keeps putting it up. Another game where DG had more assists than turnovers. Don't enjoy losing, but this one was easier to swallow. Never let KU nail us with a knock-out punch.

This team is going to chew Baylor up on Saturday.