***Official ISU vs Drake Gameday Thread***

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I thought we played better tonight under very difficult circumstances. This was like a road game, and Drake is a decent team. I think they will be tough against UNI. They are not a great defensive team but they decided to take away our three balls and that didn't work. That was a good sign. I think considering the circumstances, that was savvy coaching by the Drake coach. I thought our interior defense definitely needs work. We need to get better at helping out and throwing off the dribble of the inside guy. They were making way too many inside moves. Still, I am positive about where this team is headed. I think every player is striving to improve. They all have good attitudes. That is something that Hoiberg knows how to do, he handles player personalities about as well as any coach I have ever seen. That probably is why every team he has ever coached makes improvement throughout the season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Had a birthday party, so only got to watch part of the first half and now watching the second.

I'm still convinced that we have a talented team, and that Fred will get them in synch. Personally, I think we have a top 25 team when we slow down just a hair and make the extra pass.

We aren't good enough to play loose and careless.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
A win is a win. Look, Drake isn't that bad. Really, they aren't. And it's not like we lost. We just couldn't hit that "shot" today to kind of put this game into more comfortable shape. If we finish non-conference 10-3, I'll take it. It's just like last year, with losses that aren't NEARLY as bad last year's.

I saw some things today I liked. I think we're starting to figure out some roles and such. Plenty to work on, especially on D, but we're getting there.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thread is tl;dr for just jumping in now, but kind of surprised there was no "Paul Janssen is a joke" thread when I logged in. I'm not one to complain about refs much, but neither is Brent Blum (via Twitter):
"Equally bad" maybe, I wouldn't assign any bias, but really it was just plain bad. Almost unwatchable, though MCC had something to do with that too. (Squeezing 16:9 content fullscreen on a 4:3 channel instead of letterboxing? Thank goodness my DVR has a stretch function.) Out of the Cyclones, feel particularly bad for Niang. How is this guy and his compadres still reffing?

BTW, just to add fuel to fire (if it hasn't been mentioned yet), Iowa was in charge of hiring officials... *runs*

Yeah, i think every game ive seen involving Janssen has been an unwatchable whistlefest. Today was no exception.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It's just like last year, with losses that aren't NEARLY as bad last year's.

This is key and it's a big reason why I don't understand the complete doubters right now. We've lost three non-cons this season. We lost three last season.

Last year, we lost to Michigan on the road, Drake on the road, and UNI at home. Drake and UNI were absolutely bad losses.

This year, we lost to Cincinnati on a neutral floor, UNLV on their court, and Iowa on the road. Not a bad loss in the bunch. Cincinnati is undefeated and ranked #11. UNLV has just one loss and is #20. Iowa is a damn good basketball team this year that played with passion in a rivalry game and took advantage of their home court and our lack of focus to get a win.

The sky is not falling, people! There are WAY too many people talking about how bad this team is. They is certainly room for improvement, but pump the brakes a little bit.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
This is key and it's a big reason why I don't understand the complete doubters right now. We've lost three non-cons this season. We lost three last season.

Last year, we lost to Michigan on the road, Drake on the road, and UNI at home. Drake and UNI were absolutely bad losses.

This year, we lost to Cincinnati on a neutral floor, UNLV on their court, and Iowa on the road. Not a bad loss in the bunch. Cincinnati is undefeated and ranked #11. UNLV has just one loss and is #20. Iowa is a damn good basketball team this year that played with passion in a rivalry game and took advantage of their home court and our lack of focus to get a win.

The sky is not falling, people! There are WAY too many people talking about how bad this team is. They is certainly room for improvement, but pump the brakes a little bit.

I agree, we're not out of it yet, but so far the B12 has been abysmal. We will probably have to win 12 conference games just to get a sniff at the tourney, IMO. The conference will be lucky to get 4 in this year. I think we can be in the top 4, but we're going to have to play much more consistently.

There won't be a 1st round draft pick riding to the rescue this year.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I agree, we're not out of it yet, but so far the B12 has been abysmal. We will probably have to win 12 conference games just to get a sniff at the tourney, IMO. The conference will be lucky to get 4 in this year. I think we can be in the top 4, but we're going to have to play much more consistently.

There won't be a 1st round draft pick riding to the rescue this year.

I agree, but think about this: The same team that had two bad non-con losses last season went 12-6 in a Big 12 that looks like it will end up being significantly stronger than the one this year's team will play in.

With the conference being abysmal, this ISU team can afford to play inconsistently on occasion and still win games.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
As far as positives go, I love what Niang brings to this team. I am more convinced than ever that he will have the Royce factor in the coming years. Wont have the same athletic ability, but he will be an excellent facilitator with a better shot.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I agree with everything you said. And I am among the optimists that the team gets better after Christmas. If you don't agree, check the forum last year at Christmas. You would have thought the sky was falling....

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I agree, but think about this: The same team that had two bad non-con losses last season went 12-6 in a Big 12 that looks like it will end up being significantly stronger than the one this year's team will play in.

With the conference being abysmal, this ISU team can afford to play inconsistently on occasion and still win games.

Yes and maybe no. Can this year's team do this? Last year with White in control, obviously. This year I feel there is yet an individual to take over. It can happen, but who is it gonna be.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I feel better about the Iowa loss after they beat UNI today. I thought UNI would win by ten.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com

I hate the expression "it is what it is," but I can't think of a better way to describe this year's non-con thus far. If watching/comprehending college bball for 20+ years has taught me anything, it's not to overreact to a handful of non-con losses.

Damn right, we've missed some resume-building opportunities. Yet we still lack a single bad loss on the record thus far, which is better than where we sat at this time last year. That's no guarantee that this year will be better than last, but... it is what it is.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Something that mighjt be mentioned: Scotty, Royce and Chris are probably more potent than Georges, KL, and Will at this point. The other players are the same from last year.

That said, Babb is playing better. Melvin is rebounding better. Tyrus is showing leadership signs.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Beat TCU twice, TT twice, Texas twice, OU twice...WV, Baylor, K State, OSU at home...and you are at 12 right there. If they can upset KU at home we are sitting at 13 wins.

12 wins should be achievable if they keep improving. Long way to to go, and still have to go on the road and beat some pretty bad teams, but it can be done.

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids

I disagree. I almost guarantee 11-7 gets us in. 10-8 and we're 50/50. There just aren't that many good teams around to choose over a 10-8 Big 12 team. The Pac 12 is still weak, the SEC sucks, the ACC is struggling...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I disagree. I almost guarantee 11-7 gets us in. 10-8 and we're 50/50. There just aren't that many good teams around to choose over a 10-8 Big 12 team. The Pac 12 is still weak, the SEC sucks, the ACC is struggling...

Could be.

It seems more believable today than it did even a couple weeks ago. (And it could change again).

The pattern this team is showing, if it continued throughout the season: No bad losses (nothing sub-100 RPI); no big wins (v 25 RPI or better) or good wins (v 50 RPI or better).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron