*** Official IOWA STATE Vs West Virginia Gameday Thread ***

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Respectable effort by the guys tonight. Hopefully DJ comes back and plays well and we can get a W on senior night.
I was pretty satisfied with the teams performance tonight. Considering who we played, how they play, where we played and what we had to put on the court - I thought we did reasonably well. I thought we fought and played hard. It is a hard game when you have no creators. Wigginton is the only guy that can create a shot - although Tally can on occasion. I thought Tally played a decent game - like last time his job is to break the WV press. Wigginton, right now, is a below average point guard . Great player, but has a lot to learn/develop to be at the point. Konate is a man. Lard was playing against a bigger, stronger better athlete. He did OK, but needs a lot more strength. Right now we have Wigginton and Lard and a bunch of role players, with no depth today. Proud of the effort - I really think we will be pretty good next year.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Respectable effort by the guys tonight. Hopefully DJ comes back and plays well and we can get a W on senior night.
I was pretty satisfied with the teams performance tonight. Considering who we played, how they play, where we played and what we had to put on the court - I thought we did reasonably well. I thought we fought and played hard. It is a hard game when you have no creators. Wigginton is the only guy that can create a shot - although Tally can on occasion. Wigginton, right now, is a below average point guard . Great player, but has a lot to learn/develop to be at the point. Konate is a man. Lard was playing against a bigger, stronger better athlete. Right now we have Wigginton and a bunch of role players .

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t care what you say, I love this team. (For real)

Completely agree. For as down as ISU is this year, the guys have been showing a ton of grit, especially the young ones. I’m excited to see that rub off on the next crop of kids coming next year.

Cam shows a lot of emotion but he seems to be reeling in his frustration game by game. Beginning of the year Cam would have been throwing a fit not getting the ball down low tonight (and he would have been right).
End of the year Cam just worked his ass off doing everything else.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I hate to harp on it too much considering the limitations this team is dealing with but it's frustrating once again to come out of halftime super flat. 2 points in the first 5 minutes.

Add that to the final 3 minutes or so of first half, wrong end of a 9-2 run after competing well up to that point. Essentially, scoring about 4 points in 8 minutes was the only cushion WVa truly needed. (Saying this also with the caveat regarding limits/shorthanded situation).

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yes. I have brought this up before. We need an asst head coach who is responsible for bringing an offense to our game. We cannot run plays to get open 3's. We never lean into a defender to get a 3 point foul shot, when tightly guarded. We cannot run plays to get Lard the ball. We have difficulty running a pick and roll. We do not know how to make contested layups. We are hurried on most possessions to get any respectable shot off.

This year our offense is Transition Baskets......

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Stayed closer than I thought they might. Proud of the way this team keeps playing. Hopefully the toughness carries over to next yr.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfamily

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
  1. Respectable effort.
  2. It was nice to see Lewis get extended minutes. I expect his performance to get a lot better with more time. Jok is his ceiling, but he’s got a long ways to go.
  3. A lot of things to show on tape for next year, like how to best utilize Talley? Hopefully we try to utilize him as a mismatch in the last few games. Fours have no chance to stay in front of him and he has too much size for most guards. He’s 6-12 on 3Ps in his last 12 games. Very responsible with the ball and a big asset on defense.
  4. How to get a higher efficiency from our highest usage player in Wigginton? This is perhaps the biggest need, particularly as we add other guys that need the ball in Shayok and THT.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Completely agree. For as down as ISU is this year, the guys have been showing a ton of grit, especially the young ones. I’m excited to see that rub off on the next crop of kids coming next year.

Cam shows a lot of emotion but he seems to be reeling in his frustration game by game. Beginning of the year Cam would have been throwing a fit not getting the ball down low tonight (and he would have been right).
End of the year Cam just worked his ass off doing everything else.

Great point. I think it was frustrating (part of that on us, and part was what WV did) for Cam, but he still ran the floor, rebounded, played D and was an important factor. That doesn't happen 15 games ago.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and cyfamily

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
  1. Respectable effort.
  2. It was nice to see Lewis get extended minutes. I expect his performance to get a lot better with more time. Jok is his ceiling, but he’s got a long ways to go.
  3. A lot of things to show on tape for next year, like how to best utilize Talley? Hopefully we try to utilize him as a mismatch in the last few games. Fours have no chance to stay in front of him and he has too much size for most guards. He’s 6-12 on 3Ps in his last 12 games. Very responsible with the ball and a big asset on defense.
  4. How to get a higher efficiency from our highest usage player in Wigginton? This is perhaps the biggest need, particularly as we add other guys that need the ball in Shayok and THT.

Good comparison (Lewis/Jok), though I hope Terrence is a far better defender than Jok was as a senior. He was certainly better yesterday than he was early in the year when you could notice his defensive lapses without really looking for them. From all recent quotes, I think the young man really gets that it is a process. I'm sure having a supportive dad who is a coach helps that a lot.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Everything this team has had to deal with - short bench, depending on freshmen, injuries, the death of DJ'S dad - this team has hung in and stayed at it. These guys deserve a lot of credit.

Agree. Not just a short bench, we were down 3 STARTERS. The players deserve a ton of credit, and also Coach Prohm and his staff. Many coaches would have lost their team by now, our guys continue to fight.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Talley is going to be a great "glue guy" for us next year.

Might even work as a back up PG for 10 mins per game or so to give Babb more rest.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good comparison (Lewis/Jok), though I hope Terrence is a far better defender than Jok was as a senior. He was certainly better yesterday than he was early in the year when you could notice his defensive lapses without really looking for them. From all recent quotes, I think the young man really gets that it is a process. I'm sure having a supportive dad who is a coach helps that a lot.
He lacks some quickness, but I assume he will be on defense what Jok could have been with better coaching.

I’m not expecting him to be Jok on offense, but it could happen. If he can hit shots he’ll be a very nice asset.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I just got a chance to watch a recording of the game. Not much new to comment here but I think that Talley would have been useful on ANY team in the Hoiberg - Prohm era. He has elements of Nader and Niang in his game and his shot is improving. Very useful guy on a roster - I see that he had 9 assists last night and the Cones only turned it over 8 times vs. a tough defense. A lot of that was his calm approach to breaking the press.

It was good to see Lewis nail multiple threes. I am in the camp that he will be a good contributor to the program. He has very good mechanics and has the size to shoot over most 2's and 3's in college hoops. Hopefully, this game helps his comfort level.

Also, WVU's Konate is a MAN. His performance reminded me of the 2nd ISU game vs. Embiid; I just remember thinking that game that Embiid was impacting so many possessions.

• Agree
Reactions: othercy

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Talley is going to be a great "glue guy" for us next year.

Might even work as a back up PG for 10 mins per game or so to give Babb more rest.

I'd love to see Talley get some more run at the point forward the remainder of the season. He seems to be a solid decision maker and it would help with spacing as defenders wouldn't sag off of Wigginton and Jackson on the wing.

I liked to see Lewis taking it inside, even though he didn't finish. He's going to be solid once he figures out the defensive side.

Beverly is actually starting to look like the offensive player we were hoping he would be. Too bad he didn't start this season off with this kind of stroke.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron