*** Official IOWA STATE Vs West Virginia Gameday Thread ***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I just got a chance to watch a recording of the game. Not much new to comment here but I think that Talley would have been useful on ANY team in the Hoiberg - Prohm era. He has elements of Nader and Niang in his game and his shot is improving. Very useful guy on a roster - I see that he had 9 assists last night and the Cones only turned it over 8 times vs. a tough defense. A lot of that was his calm approach to breaking the press.
Agree. Talley at pg and/or with the ball needs to happen more in the last several games, as well as next year. It’s likely Hoiberg would have used him as a mismatch more proficiently, whereas Prohm may prefer traditional lineups more.

Remember how poorly Nader and Kane shot before their senior seasons? Here is to Talley making the same improvement.

Reactions: othercy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I just got a chance to watch a recording of the game. Not much new to comment here but I think that Talley would have been useful on ANY team in the Hoiberg - Prohm era. He has elements of Nader and Niang in his game and his shot is improving. Very useful guy on a roster - I see that he had 9 assists last night and the Cones only turned it over 8 times vs. a tough defense. A lot of that was his calm approach to breaking the press.

It was good to see Lewis nail multiple threes. I am in the camp that he will be a good contributor to the program. He has very good mechanics and has the size to shoot over most 2's and 3's in college hoops. Hopefully, this game helps his comfort level.

Also, WVU's Konate is a MAN. His performance reminded me of the 2nd ISU game vs. Embiid; I just remember thinking that game that Embiid was impacting so many possessions.

Also should give credit to Coach Prohm for our approach to breaking the press. Most teams rush to try to inbound it before WV sets it up, but he went the opposite direction in both games and delays as long as possible. That little over the top pass down the baseline when they overplay just kills them.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Also should give credit to Coach Prohm for our approach to breaking the press. Most teams rush to try to inbound it before WV sets it up, but he went the opposite direction in both games and delays as long as possible. That little over the top pass down the baseline when they overplay just kills them.
I don’t think that works without Talley. He’s been a very good inbounder.

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
With an 18 point lead, why leave your starters in to get a possible turned ankle, shoulder injury , or concussion? Do you need to run up the score so the hillbillies get a free Mountain Dew?

During our string of games where we were 1-5 we blew double digit leads to #8 TTU,
#10 KU, and UK. I am certain Huggs has been screaming about finishing games. With March around the corner I'm going to guess he was testing their effort. That said, Huggs played 12 players with 4 bench players playing 10 or more minutes. All of that said, complaining about the score is unbecoming.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
During our string of games where we were 1-5 we blew double digit leads to #8 TTU,
#10 KU, and UK. I am certain Huggs has been screaming about finishing games. With March around the corner I'm going to guess he was testing their effort. That said, Huggs played 12 players with 4 bench players playing 10 or more minutes. All of that said, complaining about the score is unbecoming.
Oh spare me. You guys struggled for the first 20 minutes to put away an Iowa State team reeling from injuries and personal tragedy. Nevermind the fact we beat you the first time around without our starting PG. You guys came at us full force. Carter begged to go into the game for the last 2 minutes for what? Stat pumping? What else could it have been? WVU will never take K(F)U's spot at the top of my hate list, but they are certainly leading the pack of the 'disliked'.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Enjoy your short stay in the NCAA tourney, when the refs actually call fouls against you. (not that it was a deciding factor this game.)

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Enjoy your short stay in the NCAA tourney, when the refs actually call fouls against you. (not that it was a deciding factor this game.)

I agee if the refs tighten up the calls just a little bit on pressginny it will be One and Done for the scraggly mountain men

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
WV guard picked up his 5th foul while Jevon Carter was talking with Huggins. Jevon was the one that noticed and asked to go back in. He is a Senior and only has 1 more home game left. No problem with him wanting to relish all the home court PT he can...

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Oh spare me. You guys struggled for the first 20 minutes to put away an Iowa State team reeling from injuries and personal tragedy. Nevermind the fact we beat you the first time around without our starting PG. You guys came at us full force. Carter begged to go into the game for the last 2 minutes for what? Stat pumping? What else could it have been? WVU will never take K(F)U's spot at the top of my hate list, but they are certainly leading the pack of the 'disliked'.

Please, do go on. You're making my point for me. While you're mistaken about how close the game was at half (39-30) just 3:18 earlier it was 30-28. However, at 7:02 we had a 7 point 28-21. So we threw away a 7 point lead down to a single possession. That's precisely what I said in my OP. We seem to go through periods when the wheels come off the cart and Huggs wanted to see some things. I don't understand why that's got you all in a dust up.

"You beat us the first time". That has nothing to do with the question I answered.

jmarsh13 took care of your question about Jevon Carter.

I have no idea what other schools' records are (I'm too lazy to look them up) but since Huggs came to Morgantown he's taken his team to at least the Sweet Sixteen 40% of the time.

2008 Sweet Sixteen
2009 1st Rnd
2010 Final Four
2011 2nd Rnd
2012 1st Rnd
2013 1st Rnd
2014 NIT First Rnd
2015 Sweet Sixteen
2016 1st Rnd
2017 Sweet Sixteen

I did however check your school's record.

2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2011 - 0
2012 2nd Rnd
2013 2nd Rnd
2014 Sweet Sixteen
2015 Sweet Sixteen
2016 1st Rnd
2017 2nd Rnd

I'm not looking for a pissing contest but these accusation get thrown around a lot without any research.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Please, do go on. You're making my point for me. While you're mistaken about how close the game was at half (39-30) just 3:18 earlier it was 30-28. However, at 7:02 we had a 7 point 28-21. So we threw away a 7 point lead down to a single possession. That's precisely what I said in my OP. We seem to go through periods when the wheels come off the cart and Huggs wanted to see some things. I don't understand why that's got you all in a dust up.

"You beat us the first time". That has nothing to do with the question I answered.

jmarsh13 took care of your question about Jevon Carter.

I have no idea what other schools' records are (I'm too lazy to look them up) but since Huggs came to Morgantown he's taken his team to at least the Sweet Sixteen 40% of the time.

2008 Sweet Sixteen
2009 1st Rnd
2010 Final Four
2011 2nd Rnd
2012 1st Rnd
2013 1st Rnd
2014 NIT First Rnd
2015 Sweet Sixteen
2016 1st Rnd
2017 Sweet Sixteen

I did however check your school's record.

2008 - 0
2009 - 0
2010 - 0
2011 - 0
2012 2nd Rnd
2013 2nd Rnd
2014 Sweet Sixteen
2015 Sweet Sixteen
2016 1st Rnd
2017 2nd Rnd

I'm not looking for a pissing contest but these accusation get thrown around a lot without any research.
Don't you have your own site to holler on?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Three starters were out of the game.

Remaining players:
3 freshmen
2 sophomores
1 junior
1.5 seniors (Brase wasn't even close to 50%, but I give him points for trying)

All in all, I'm damn proud of them. And no troll is going to tarnish that for me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron