*** Official IOWA STATE Vs Texas Tech Gameday Thread ***

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Curious what people think of Jakolby Long after tonight. Thought he played the best D out of all the guards (not saying much). Wondering if he'll re-discover his offense as he hasn't scored much since his injury. I think he passes the eye test though, and should get more minutes moving forward.
According to Hines, he was puking in a bucket at some point. May have been a bit under the weather, but it was all hands on deck tonight with Brase and Babb sitting.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He should get better, but it’s clear why he’s never played pg- he doesn’t have those skills. He’s barely even a combo guard right now. Without extenuating circumstances a team will, or should, have better options at pg. With NWB out and this season a disaster we might as well try and get him better, but Talley at pg may be more effective.

2nd best freshman guard in the Big 12 and you describe him that way? You must really have something personal against this team or this staff to say such ridiculous things.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I thought our effort tonight was pretty solid for the most part. We were gassed at the end and couldn't buy a bucket so the final looks worse than the game. Refs had some odd calls against Tech in the first half and swung it back the other way in the 2nd. They did us no favors but they weren't the difference in the game.

I disagree with those that say Tech isn't legit. They have an excellent point guard, athletic wings and are very well coached. If they get Smith back at close to 100% they're the conference's best shot to go deep in the dance. That may not be saying much though. I'm not sure this conference has an Elite 8 team.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Officiating was horrible on both sides. Frankly, I think we may have been in favor with a lot of the garbage calls. Another thing that was garbage (and I'm going to say it), the coaching. I'm a huge Coach Prohm fan and think he is a good coach, but this game in particular may have been his worst game coaching at Iowa State.

Both the offense and defense had no consistency, strange substitutions, odd timeouts called, and talking to officials about a bad call during a 30 sec. timeout expending most of the time away from the players huddle. Just crazy.

• Disagree
Reactions: psyclone51

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017

giphy.gif

Reactions: ianoconnor

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Last 5 min down around 8, TT calls a TO. Prohm BS'ing with a ref (they were laughing) and the players were huddled talking to each other, assistant coaches 5ft away. End of game down 18. Coaching? Not to mention no attempts to corral Wiggington.
I saw this. I’m pretty sure he was being very tounge in cheek with that ref. He pointed to under the ISU basket and then down to Techs.

Prohm is smart enough to know it’s not necessarily what you say but how you say it. And that you can make your point with a smile.

The ref wasn’t smiling by the way.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Enlighten me. In CFB, there are teams of refs employed and trained by each conference. Is college basketball different?

Also you should have said “ignorant” rather than “stupid”. There is a difference. :cool:

In football the conference has a set of refs that get used for games. The crews even stay together. Basketball refs can work all conferences. Big 12 one night, MVC the next, ACC the next, and Big 10 the next.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've been a big fan of Jakolby, but I disagree with you. I thought he was horrible on D all night, he let his man drive by him all night.
Saw that a few times, but Wiggi and Donny J were allowing penetration all night, too. Long also clipped a few guys just cause he couldn't keep up with him. Hopefully something that will improve with more PT

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Last 5 min down around 8, TT calls a TO. Prohm BS'ing with a ref (they were laughing) and the players were huddled talking to each other, assistant coaches 5ft away. End of game down 18. Coaching? Not to mention no attempts to corral Wiggington.

And you best player of the night fouls out. Right now Wiggington is your best option at handling the ball, what is he suppose to tell him to do?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Yeah, couldn’t be that we were playing basically 7 guys and they were all sucking wind. Couldn’t be that.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think fans will see a win against OU Saturday. I’m glad we finally are playing them cause we match up well.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Curious what people think of Jakolby Long after tonight. Thought he played the best D out of all the guards (not saying much). Wondering if he'll re-discover his offense as he hasn't scored much since his injury. I think he passes the eye test though, and should get more minutes moving forward.

Jakolby is an offensive liability. He may stay and by all accounts is a good teammate but even if he becomes a great defender he should be playing less than 10 minutes a night.

• Useful
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
He should get better, but it’s clear why he’s never played pg- he doesn’t have those skills. He’s barely even a combo guard right now. Without extenuating circumstances a team will, or should, have better options at pg. With NWB out and this season a disaster we might as well try and get him better, but Talley at pg may be more effective.
Funny.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Listened to the game while I was on the road. JW thought Wiggi was getting bumped pretty good with no calls, right after that Prohm talked to the refs during the time out. Good effort by the guys, just not enough horses to get to the finish line. Silver lining is lots of PT for everyone so more experienced for next yr. I would like to see NWB come back, BUT I'd rather he shut it down and come back 100% next yr with no nagging injuries. Unluckily unless we get on a run in KC, our season will be done when we are done in KC.

Tough yr this yr, but the highs have been fun hopefully we'll get a few more before the season ends.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Focused on Lard a lot tonight, obvious strengths are him running the floor and rebounding or getting a hand on the ball, and he loves to play... offense. Defense....not so much. Really think he gets those cheap fouls because he's not locked in enough on that end, getting in a good stance and moving his feet. One on one defense, he does alright when he wants to. Away from the ball he is lost. If he wants to keep getting offensive glory, he needs to dedicate himself to the other end, too. Perhaps he'll take a huge step up next year after a year under his belt. Solomon is working his butt off on defense.

I so want Terrence Lewis to be that freshmen (like Naz) that looks overwhelmed his first year but grows into a fine player. But if you really watched him on defense tonight, it was not pretty. Can see why he gets limited time. Have no clue as to whether he has the potential to be a good defender and its just because he's a freshmen with lots to learn, or its just not there. Just shows you how different players can be (Tech's freshmen, Culver, and Lewis) yet they both are similar body types and both 3 stars.

Idk, I think Prohm is doing about the best he can with what he's working with.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
2nd best freshman guard in the Big 12 and you describe him that way? You must really have something personal against this team or this staff to say such ridiculous things.

I don't agree with the original poster as Wiggington is an elite talent and should make 3rd team All-Big 12. However, he should be playing off the ball both this year and next year. That will be what is best for the team in the long run. His strength is not being a distributor but rather a scorer. You can see the indecision of "should I try to score" or "make the bad angle entry pass to Solomon" because I'm supposed to be getting others involved.

Keep him off the ball next year and this team will be much better.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron