*** Official IOWA STATE Vs LSU Game(Day) Thread ***

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A couple observations.
1. We had someone step up (Tyrese) beyond Brockington
2. Tj messed up their scouting report with playing guys we hadn't been playing
3. Jazz was great (non stat sheet stuff)
4. We seemed to get all the 50/50 balls
5. We never gave LSU any chance to put together a run...we sustained and matched them when needed (sure, they got close in the end...but we essentially were in the driver's seat since tip)

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
1) Does anyone know where I might find JW's call of Tyrese's last two 3 pointers?
2) We were at the women's game, sitting front row of the balcony, and you could see all the people below us with their cell phones out, either streaming or checking their sports app of choice. There was a VERY audible cheer when Tyrese hit his second 3. Then, once it went final, there was either a "Let's Go State!" or "I! S! U!" chant during a timeout when the women weren't doing so well in the 1Q.

They never did announce the score over the PA...freakin' NCAA probably had that on lockdown, too. Was pleasantly surprised we got "Juicy Wiggle"

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
A couple observations.
1. We had someone step up (Tyrese) beyond Brockington
2. Tj messed up their scouting report with playing guys we hadn't been playing
3. Jazz was great (non stat sheet stuff)
4. We seemed to get all the 50/50 balls
5. We never gave LSU any chance to put together a run...we sustained and matched them when needed (sure, they got close in the end...but we essentially were in the driver's seat since tip)

This is spot on. I mentioned it during the game but that was Jax’s best defensive game by a mile. He made a big impact down low.

That said, Jones wasn’t very good and I can’t recall a Conditt doing anything good or bad last night, a total non-factor.

Our overall defensive effort reminded me of the first half of the season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
1) Does anyone know where I might find JW's call of Tyrese's last two 3 pointers?
2) We were at the women's game, sitting front row of the balcony, and you could see all the people below us with their cell phones out, either streaming or checking their sports app of choice. There was a VERY audible cheer when Tyrese hit his second 3. Then, once it went final, there was either a "Let's Go State!" or "I! S! U!" chant during a timeout when the women weren't doing so well in the 1Q.

They never did announce the score over the PA...freakin' NCAA probably had that on lockdown, too. Was pleasantly surprised we got "Juicy Wiggle"

Surprised they couldn't flash the score on the screen like they did in MKE. There were some women's updates.

interrobang

Oct 9, 2017
Ankeny
This is spot on. I mentioned it during the game but that was Jax’s best defensive game by a mile. He made a big impact down low.

That said, Jones wasn’t very good and I can’t recall a Conditt doing anything good or bad last night, a total non-factor.

Our overall defensive effort reminded me of the first half of the season.
George had 2 blocks and 0 turnovers. Know that isn't great but really can't complain about that too much. Especially with how LSU was great at forcing turnovers coming in.

And sorry if already posted, but nice seeing him get his first NCAAT win!

Last edited:

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
A lot of guys contributed some nice plays last night, even though I'm sure there's plays they would want back. Jones had a couple good skip passes across the floor for open shots in the second half, Conditt and Kunc both with a couple nice blocks. Grill had his own mini-run in the second half, was fun seeing him throw one down. Even Enaruna had a nice offensive rebound and put back early. Brockington hit some of his patented insane degree of difficulty jumpers from the mid-range, and knocked down both of those free throws late to keep ISU in the lead.

But what a show from Tyrese Hunter. On both ends of the court. In front of his family and others from his home town. Became the second player ever after Steph Curry to record 7 or more threes and 5 or more steals in an NCAA tournament game. The confidence he was playing with was just incredible, both his deep threes late you could kinda just tell when he was crossing over between his legs sizing the defender up that he was just in control. I love how he looked to his section of supporters in the crowd after all his big shots in the second half. The best players step up in big moments and Tyrese did so in such an amazing way. So excited to see what he and the guys can do on Sunday and to watch Tyrese continue to grow as long as he's in Ames.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
i didnt watch because every game i have watched isu lost. you guys are welcome

Same here. Everytime I turn it on when we're ahead, the other team never misses another shot and we lose.....This time I said, forget it, I'm watching it anyway. You missed a great game!

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Even taking into account his 2-11 from 3, I still think Grill played one of his best games last night. He was really solid on D and got some big rebounds. His 5 pts in 20 seconds when the game was tied was absolutely crucial.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Even taking into account his 2-11 from 3, I still think Grill played one of his best games last night. He was really solid on D and got some big rebounds. His 5 pts in 20 seconds when the game was tied was absolutely crucial.

Absolutely. That personal 5-0 run he had was critically important.

Nobody really hurt us last night; not even Gabe with his poor shooting. George had some nice blocks and some good defense. Rob Jones mixed it up and had a nice assist or two (although he did hook and hold on that foul, I really couldn't take issue with it). Tre didn't score at all, but he was able to give Tyrese a rest for a few minutes.

Tyrese will get the pub, and deservedly so. He was amazing and so, so clutch. But when you take into account the intangibles that really was a team victory.

CloneHead

Apr 11, 2006
One of the pre-game scouting reports I read said LSU's length and athleticism would enable LSU to get a lot of offensive rebounds. For whatever reason LSU did not crash the offensive boards in the 1st half. I thought for sure in the 2nd half LSU would adjust and crash the offensive boards, but nope they kept the same game plan in the second half. I think that may have cost them the game, I don't think LSU did a good job scouting ISU weaknesses.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron