*** Official IOWA STATE vs #1 North Carolina Game(Day) Thread ***

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I heard TJ got emotional during the post game presser, but I can't find a link anywhere. I'd really love to see it. Anyone have a link?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
That was a great win for TJ and the program. Not sure UNC is the best team in the country or if Grill will ever go off like that again in his career, but it is impossible to not be impressed with what we saw last night. Those guys gave everything they had every time they were on the floor. I thought a couple guys were going to foul out before the half the way the game started. It is so nice to see that there are several bigs that can go in there and defend.
He won't do that again, that was inhuman. but sometimes improvement is not linear, sometimes there are jumps. If he can shoot 35 to 40 percent from 3 consistently, it's a game changer. Might have just needed the confidence boost, time will tell.

Reactions: t-noah

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Lowkey one of my favorite things about this win is how salty KU fans are about it. The rest of the Big 12 was like "great win... Big 12 is going to be a meat grinder... etc." Meanwhile, KU fan was like "meaningless win over an overrated team... still a trash team... KU's gonna run away with the conference again..." - and then doubled down on it after they looked like dog **** against Tennessee.
Yep, KU looks soft this year. I not only hope we beat them, but beat em up!

Reactions: NWICY

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I agree 100%. I never thought Hunter was a good PG. He is turnover prone and not a great passer.
I agree and can't wait to see him play against the pressure we're going to put on him. He's gonna get knocked around. Bet he plays soft like he would against teams like Tech when playing for us.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Last year that weave would sometimes lead to lazy passes getting picked off. So far this year the cuts are hard, passes so crisp. It was really sharp yesterday.
Last year the ball often “stuck” with the big at the top. This year it is getting out of their hands much more quickly. Shoon is a very good passer and Big Rob has improved immensely

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and CYDJ

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gabe played awesome defense at the end too. This team is really well rounded and people play hard no matter how they are doing on the offensive end.

Grill is much improved both on defense and endurance. I don’t think he could have played with that intensity for 38 minutes last year.

Also Jaz needs a major shoutout. He didn’t score in 33 minutes, but he shut down Nance completely and didn’t turn the ball over at all.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
He made his decision to play in front of 500 friends, family, and people who got free tickets from Principal and Nationwide, so he'll have to live with it.

Would have been alot better playing in front of 15,000 but he made his decision.
He's literally already played in an NBA game. He made the right choice. It sucks for us, but it's worked out for him

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I agree and can't wait to see him play against the pressure we're going to put on him. He's gonna get knocked around. Bet he plays soft like he would against teams like Tech when playing for us.
He played well thus far but there is no way he can keep up 59% shooting percentage for the rest of this season . His shooting percentage will end up in low 40‘s high 30’s, good enough for a good PG but not for a SG. He will be a good scorer with very low efficiency.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
He played well thus far but there is no way he can keep up 59% shooting percentage for the rest of this season . His shooting percentage will end up in low 40‘s high 30’s, good enough for a good PG but not for a SG. He will be a good scorer with very low efficiency.
I was concerned with the pg situation after Williams went down. After watching Lipsey up to this point I'm asking myself who I'd want more as my pg this season. Looking at each player and what they bring to the TEAM I'd take Lipsey every time. Texas can have Hunter. He fits their culture.

Reactions: NWICY

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
In hindsight, it would have been nice to retain Tre Jackson to have another ball handler and shooter. I’m guessing he would have continued to improve, and unlike some of the other guys we lost, he was a cultural fit. Obviously if we land Green, Williams isn’t injured and/or Hunter stays, it’s different

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
In hindsight, it would have been nice to retain Tre Jackson to have another ball handler and shooter. I’m guessing he would have continued to improve, and unlike some of the other guys we lost, he was a cultural fit. Obviously if we land Green, Williams isn’t injured and/or Hunter stays, it’s different

Good kid but very limited in most things

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I was concerned with the pg situation after Williams went down. After watching Lipsey up to this point I'm asking myself who I'd want more as my pg this season. Looking at each player and what they bring to the TEAM I'd take Lipsey every time. Texas can have Hunter. He fits their culture.
The impression I had with Lipsey so far this season is that he is a consummate team player. I never had that impression with Hunter.

Reactions: singsing

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Maybe Eli King can turn into that later in the season