***Official Diamond Head Classic Tournement Thread***

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Trying to get this back on topic before Macclone gets it sent to the cave.

I'd prefer to play in the other bracket. Get the tough teams early and a fairly easy matchup in the final when we may be getting tired.

I don't think the time difference will be a huge factor. Hawaii doesn't recognize daylight savings time, so they're only 4 hours behind Iowa. I know that's nothing to feel easy about, but it's not much different than an east coast team playing on the west coast. But with time to acclimate. Teams like Akron will be on a 5 hour time difference.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
For those interested Coach Hoiberg mentioned they were flying out to Hawaii on Thursday and on that day the team would see Pearl Harbor and enjoy some sights. Then Coach Hoiberg said they would have two days to prepare for George Mason on Sunday.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
obama spends every waking moment working on jobs, so he surely doesnt have time to attend. Must be nice to get a paid month vacation in Hawaii. I expect he will get his weekly multiple rounds of golf in while regular Americans spend time how to pay for healthcare and find a job.

Regardless of who the president is and whether or not you like and support him, having the president of the United States attend a Iowa State basketball game for his own enjoyment, is pretty awesome and I'm sure Hoiberg and the players feel the same way. No need to make this political.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
obama spends every waking moment working on jobs, so he surely doesnt have time to attend. Must be nice to get a paid month vacation in Hawaii. I expect he will get his weekly multiple rounds of golf in while regular Americans spend time how to pay for healthcare and find a job.

For the record I didn't vote for Obama either time (3rd party woot woot) but tell me how the most stressful job in America, where just by existing makes 50% of the country hate you, and gets paid pennies for the size of the organization he controls, doesn't deserve some time off? the president doesn't leave the capital at 5 pm, go home and watch the Simpons. It's 24/7. He's gotta be on all the time. It would be awful. Also, having someone of that caliber at an ISU game would be awesome!

For those interested Coach Hoiberg mentioned they were flying out to Hawaii on Thursday and on that day the team would see Pearl Harbor and enjoy some sights. Then Coach Hoiberg said they would have two days to prepare for George Mason on Sunday.

I heard that, too. Let's hope the sunshine is just what they need to get back on track to have strong starts. I think 3 games in 4 days will be good for them.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Does anyone understand why St. Mary's already played Boise State at Boise (and won) and it is listed as an on-campus game for the Diamond Head? Wouldn't they be scheduled to meet each other in the second round of the tournament if you look at the brackets?

Is it just me or is anyone else confused??

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
What is the time difference in Hawaii 5 hours??? I'm wondering how the time zone will affect play. I realize that Hoiberg is flying them out a couple days sooner to practice and adjust, but as they are out there for awhile, the difference starts catching up. I hope that it doesn't get to them at all assuming they reach the championship game.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Does anyone understand why St. Mary's already played Boise State at Boise (and won) and it is listed as an on-campus game for the Diamond Head? Wouldn't they be scheduled to meet each other in the second round of the tournament if you look at the brackets?

Akron and South Carolina (I think) did this as well. I think with these tournaments you can play up to four games. I think they are just taking advantage of these four games and maybe get some kickback from the tournament to play them.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What is the time difference in Hawaii 5 hours??? I'm wondering how the time zone will affect play. I realize that Hoiberg is flying them out a couple days sooner to practice and adjust, but as they are out there for awhile, the difference starts catching up. I hope that it doesn't get to them at all assuming they reach the championship game.

Going out is easier to adjust to than coming back.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Four hours from Iowa.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Akron in a close game vs. Oral Roberts.

Akron has also previously played St. Mary's this season, losing 85-63. The game was at St. Mary's.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Trying to get this back on topic before Macclone gets it sent to the cave.

I'd prefer to play in the other bracket. Get the tough teams early and a fairly easy matchup in the final when we may be getting tired.

I don't think the time difference will be a huge factor. Hawaii doesn't recognize daylight savings time, so they're only 4 hours behind Iowa. I know that's nothing to feel easy about, but it's not much different than an east coast team playing on the west coast. But with time to acclimate. Teams like Akron will be on a 5 hour time difference.

I think we are perfect, and beg to differ with you. Rest our guys in (hopefully) easy games the first two rounds then have a fresher group against the tougher competition who is tired from playing stiffer competition already. In contrast, St. Mary's or Boise St. have to go through each other, then play us probably.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Didn't take long at all for some genius to make this political

This is about the potential of the President of the United States watching our team in person, which is pretty cool regardless of who that individual is.
Mostly Oregon State and their HC. We are the side show.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

That is just the way it worked out. People have noticed this in the last month. All future tourney games are in hawaii.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think we are perfect, and beg to differ with you. Rest our guys in (hopefully) easy games the first two rounds then have a fresher group against the tougher competition who is tired from playing stiffer competition already. In contrast, St. Mary's or Boise St. have to go through each other, then play us probably.

This is a really good point. In a tournament setting like this with short turnarounds, it will be great if we're able to run it up early and get Bluford/SDW/Gibson/Edozie/Ellerman/etc. on the floor.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

Nah. the first day, THursday, they will be messed up. Friday will still be a little tired but by Saturday they will sleep like a rock. Perfect scheduling by Mayor if you ask me. I've been to Maui 3 times.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Is the whole tournament on ESPNU? For some reason I thought I read CBSSN. Great news if it is.

Help Support Us

Become a patron