***Official Diamond Head Classic Tournement Thread***

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
St. Mary's and Boise State are a concern, I think. Especially Boise.....they have a very good offense. But, then again, they did just lose to St. Mary's today by 8.....at St. Mary's.

I don't remember where I saw it, but there was an article about the Diamond Head Classic and how Obama might be there in Hawaii at that time on family vacation. There was speculation in the article that he might attend some of the games, given that his brother-in-law is the coach at Oregon State. Maybe he will want to check out ISU.

So if we lose will there be people here blaming Obama for that?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think the 4 semi finalist are ISU, Oregon State, Boise State and St. Marys. I'm not worried about getting to the finals.

The good thing with this tourney is you get a full days rest before the final game, which should help out.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
DiamondheadClassic_zps1c1552c8.jpg
DiamondHeadBracket_zpsa323cbba.jpg
That would be awesome to fly over for that. 80* degree weather and Cyclone
basketball.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I know that long flight to Hawaii can knock your socks off and can take it out of you. Hopefully they're leaving a few days early before their first game to adjust.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Please keep out of the cave, but if we play Oregon State there's a very good chance the President of the United States will be in the be in the house. They go to Hawaii for Christmas most years anyway, so I'm sure they probably will since his brother in law will be coaching there (one side of family from hawaii, other side there too, normal holiday pattern anyway), plus he picked us to beat ND and UConn the past two years so he's not horrible luck for us.

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I think it'll be St. Mary's in the finals, which could make it a match-up of two undefeated teams.

Either St. Mary or Boise, both will be very hungry for the win. They need wins against good teams to help them in march.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
"Keep the train rolling" is a good goal for this tournament.

If Iowa State does win it — and hope that's the case, and the team is definitely capable — it'll be as invisible as you can get involving a ranked team in a non-conference tournament. No traditional powerhouses, tournament has no tradition yet, during bowl season, around Christmas.

The one good thing is that this tournament will probably be the only cbb on that close to Xmas

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Please keep out of the cave, but if we play Oregon State there's a very good chance the President of the United States will be in the be in the house. They go to Hawaii for Christmas most years anyway, so I'm sure they probably will since his brother in law will be coaching there (one side of family from hawaii, other side there too, normal holiday pattern anyway), plus he picked us to beat ND and UConn the past two years so he's not horrible luck for us.

Obama picked ND last year...

ESPN - Tournament Challenge - President Obama

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
He leaves 22 Dec for 17 days. He will most likely attend Oregon State games.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I know this is slightly early and nothing to take away from last nights win (an incredible one for that matter), but we are 8-0 and let's keep this train rolling!!

Here's the bracket and matchups:

Game 1
ISU (8-0) Vs George Mason (5-4) ESPNU 530 PM

Game 2
Oregon State (4-2) vs Akron (2-2) ESPNU 730 PM

Game 3
South Carolina (2-3) vs Saint Mary's (7-0) ESPNU 11 pm

Game 4
Boise Stat (8-1) vs Hawaii (6-2) ESPNU 1 am

Some records will change with teams having games before then. What do you guys think as far as potential matchups? I'm guessing we'll face Oregon State 2nd round and handle them pretty easily. The championship game's assumption would be either Saint Mary's or Boise State. They play today so we'll get a better idea who is the better team. It was hard to judge Boise off playing Kentucky when they were struggling to shoot the ball. I like our chances of winning this tournament. Hopefully, we won't be too confident, stay focused based on location, and grab some much needed wins and move us up in the rankings.

I look for Kane to continue with his great leadership on leading this team through the tourney. It should give us a good feel as to where they are at as a team in a tourney atmosphere. Bench guys may need some extra experience in the early game.

I'm a little excited for this tournament. A lot of good teams to be played and it's all basically on ESPN(network). Oh yeah, I don't have to work all week. :wideeyed:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I predict that I am going to get really tired of missing Cyclone basketball games because they keep getting broadcast on a channel I don't have.

Well, maybe you should get the channel. If that's possible (i don't know your situation). Hate to see you miss all the excitement.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
George Mason shouldn't be a struggle for us. Oregon State and Akron don't appear to be too great either, but I'd prefer no slow starts against them too. As for Boise St or St Mary's we need to be on our A game. Beating either one of them would equate to 4 good wins, with 2 being away from home. That's a great non conference resume. If we would beat Baylor at home after that then it would appear we would almost be a lock in early January. How exciting would that be?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
If we would beat Baylor at home after that then it would appear we would almost be a lock in early January. How exciting would that be?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the potential (knock on wood) of ISU being 15-0 when the Jayhawks come to Hilton for Big Monday, with it being the first Big 12 game of the season with the students in Ames.

Students who were in line after 5:30pm on Friday didn't get a seat for an 8:30 game. If that happens for the KU game, which is at 8:00, students might need to get in line by 4:00pm just to get a seat.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I think theres really no reason not to win this tournament. Boise State and St. Mary's are the next best teams besides us, but I like to believe that they are not better than Iowa or Michigan. The only reason I see us a losing a game here is if the team isn't focused and treats it like a vacation but I doubt that'll happen. Also, the time difference can definitely mess with you.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hey may, but it's not on the same island. not as if that's of much consequence, but I doubt they'll be attending all of the games.
He should attend the ISU-OSU if it happens and is at night.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
obama spends every waking moment working on jobs, so he surely doesnt have time to attend. Must be nice to get a paid month vacation in Hawaii. I expect he will get his weekly multiple rounds of golf in while regular Americans spend time how to pay for healthcare and find a job.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
obama spends every waking moment working on jobs, so he surely doesnt have time to attend. Must be nice to get a paid month vacation in Hawaii. I expect he will get his weekly multiple rounds of golf in while regular Americans spend time how to pay for healthcare and find a job.

Didn't take long at all for some genius to make this political

This is about the potential of the President of the United States watching our team in person, which is pretty cool regardless of who that individual is.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Re: ***Official Diamond Head Classic Tournament Thread***

Tell us how you really feel...lol