MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As far as pitching goes, I'm really hoping the Cubbies commit to building Dylan Maples as the future closer. It's SOOO hard to go out and acquire a top level closer, so a kid with 98+ MPH fastball on the regular to go along with filthy disappearing slider intrigues the hell out of me!

The thing that worries me about Maples is his command of his pitches. He has a FLITHY slider but in limited time in the bigs has had command issues: 11 walks in 10 2/3 innings and 13 earned runs so he has been hit hard when he does throw a strike.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The thing that worries me about Maples is his command of his pitches. He has a FLITHY slider but in limited time in the bigs has had command issues: 11 walks in 10 2/3 innings and 13 earned runs so he has been hit hard when he does throw a strike.

No ****? haha

• Funny
Reactions: cyfanatic13

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City

Right. I don't think it's a large enough sample size to form a definitive opinion on, but what we've seen while in Chicago hasn't been pretty. He's still young enough and at a stage in his big league development where it could all still "click". I can't think of another pitcher in the system that's more deserving of getting a look or the opportunity.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
LeMahieu would be a good addition. Murphy would be fine if they resigned him but I don't know if he'll hold up for a whole season. His surgeries have to be taking a toll on his body. If I were him, I'd go to whatever AL team needs a DH that can fill in at 2nd and 1st if needed. I admittedly have no idea who that team would be

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
He also said that he was done rebuilding in 2008. He just doesn’t want the team to have a rebuilding attitude even though they won’t make the playoffs. I would love it if some team blew him away with an offer for Merrifield.

He also doesn't want to have to trade for vets in 2020 to bring along the young guys when he has them for cheap now.

I mean I am all for getting good value back for Whit but I don't see how the Cubs could make an attractive offer to KC... the Royals already have a former Cub OF who can't hit, is a below average defender and only plays half the time.

Reactions: Doc

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Right. I don't think it's a large enough sample size to form a definitive opinion on, but what we've seen while in Chicago hasn't been pretty. He's still young enough and at a stage in his big league development where it could all still "click". I can't think of another pitcher in the system that's more deserving of getting a look or the opportunity.

It's not just his time in Chicago, there's one reason a guy who throws high 90s with the highest rated slider in the entire Cubs system was still stuck in A ball at 25.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The Royals have one prospect in the top 100 and he’s ranked 60th. Unless some horrific incident happens to MLB cities across the nation, Kansas City’s best option is to trade Merrifield, Perez, Escobar, and Gordon and get that farm system going

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
The Royals have one prospect in the top 100 and he’s ranked 60th. Unless some horrific incident happens to MLB cities across the nation, Kansas City’s best option is to trade Merrifield, Perez, Escobar, and Gordon and get that farm system going

Escobar is FA and is also terrible. Also no one is giving anything of value for Alex Gordon.

Perez won't be dealt so its a non starter.

I think they will ultimately deal Merrifield but I am guessing it won't be to a team that also only has 1 player currently in the Top 100 and that player is going to be a non starter for KC.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Escobar is FA and is also terrible. Also no one is giving anything of value for Alex Gordon.

Perez won't be dealt so its a non starter.

I think they will ultimately deal Merrifield but I am guessing it won't be to a team that also only has 1 player currently in the Top 100 and that player is going to be a non starter for KC.

Alcides Escobar was one of two players to finish with a negative wRC+ in high leverage spots, finishing at -3. The other Kyle Schwarber at -62! 100 is league average.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Other moves I hope the Cubs make

- Convince someone, anyone that David Dejesus would be a great analyst for their sports franchise

- Bring back Steve Stone

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Hey why not bring back Chip Caray too? LOL I actually didn't mind Chip and Steve but Len and JD have been pretty good. Len and Brenly was great while it lasted too. Still can't beat Pat Hughes and Ron Santo on the radio though. Can you imagine what Santo would have been saying watching last night's game? Loved that guy, was like a fan in the both who would tell it like it is and many times would just blurt out what we all were probably thinking at the same time too.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Bob Brenly is an old curmudgeon that did nothing but tear down young players and Alfonso Soriano.

The way he treated and talked about Castro was embarrassing. DeShaies was and is a MASSIVE upgrade.

• Agree
Reactions: tman24 and CyJack13

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
DeShaies is one of the best in the biz. Great combination of insight and humor.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Bob Brenly is an old curmudgeon that did nothing but tear down young players and Alfonso Soriano.

The way he treated and talked about Castro was embarrassing. DeShaies was and is a MASSIVE upgrade.

Pretty sure everyone was ripping on Soriano at the time too. One of the worst signings in Cubs history possibly. He probably makes Schwarber look like a gold glover out in LF.

Castro's career has been interesting, he's been traded twice just before the team he was on got good which sucks. He's an OK player but he's never hit for more than 21 HR or 78 RBI in a season and his defense, especially at SS when he was with the Cubs was poor. I get it, he was thrown to the fire at age 20 on a bad team which put him in the spotlight but he never fully developed in to a star player like they thought he might be.

Been so many young guys hyped up in the Cubs system over the years that really turned out to be nothing more than OK players or busts I've gotten to the point I don't get too attached to these guys as a fan until they prove it consistently. Look at how bad Baez and Rizzo hit when they first came up and now they are untouchables on the roster. Took me awhile to warm up to Baez because I thought he was too much of a free swinger to ever be able to stick as an everyday player but glad he continued to develop and adjust.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I realize Schwarber doesn't have the speed that Almora does, but when the guy has a fielding percentage of .995 - just one error in 943.2 innings - and has 11 outfield assists, he has to be doing something right. I really think people are ignoring the progress a converted catcher is making.

• Agree
Reactions: tman24

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I realize Schwarber doesn't have the speed that Almora does, but when the guy has a fielding percentage of .995 - just one error in 943.2 innings - and has 11 outfield assists, he has to be doing something right. I really think people are ignoring the progress a converted catcher is making.

He's an average defensive OF, which is perfectly fine. He's not the defensive liability that a lot of fans make him out to be.

Help Support Us

Become a patron