MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Pretty sure everyone was ripping on Soriano at the time too. One of the worst signings in Cubs history possibly. He probably makes Schwarber look like a gold glover out in LF.

Castro's career has been interesting, he's been traded twice just before the team he was on got good which sucks. He's an OK player but he's never hit for more than 21 HR or 78 RBI in a season and his defense, especially at SS when he was with the Cubs was poor. I get it, he was thrown to the fire at age 20 on a bad team which put him in the spotlight but he never fully developed in to a star player like they thought he might be.

Been so many young guys hyped up in the Cubs system over the years that really turned out to be nothing more than OK players or busts I've gotten to the point I don't get too attached to these guys as a fan until they prove it consistently. Look at how bad Baez and Rizzo hit when they first came up and now they are untouchables on the roster. Took me awhile to warm up to Baez because I thought he was too much of a free swinger to ever be able to stick as an everyday player but glad he continued to develop and adjust.

Alfonso Soriano didn't give himself $136M and by all accounts played hurt all the time, was great in the club house and mentored every young player that he could.

The heat he takes from Cubs fans should be directed at the Tribune and Jim Hendry, not Alfonso Soriano.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Interesting he took blame. You can't really attack him for Yu. Chatwood, maybe. Morrow, maybe.

But he's taking the approach of talking to the players first about fixing them before talking to the media, and I appreciate that.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Welp Theo appears to get it. Last offseason was a completely trainwreck, but it was also a bit of a weird one with everyone waiting out the whole deflated salary thing. Do better this year, and start by looking for a new hitting coach.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The "sense of urgency" thing is key.

37 - 13 in games we scored two or more runs.

Pitchers, typically, got the job done. Batters were abysmal.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I wonder if the whole Spring Training sit out crap that Arrieta and a few other players pulled this year will continue.

From what I can tell, it clearly had a negative effect in the productivity of these players.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I really hope the Cubs give Addi the proper treatment plan and, if he shows remorse, keep him.

It's much better, IMO, to fix his problem instead of pass it to someone else.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If you didn't see/hear the presser if you get a chance try to catch a replay of it.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Here is the facebook live video of Theo's Press Conference:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
-I agree that Chilli Davis should be gone but firing every coach is an overreaction

-I like Hamels a lot but we can't sign him for that big of a deal and fill other holes

-I'd love to sign either one, harper more than machado, but it will all come down to the numbers. We'd have to get someone to take Heywards deal.

-La Stella and Bote aren't regular starters so not sure what your issue is with them. Russell should be gone. Almora is the only true CF we have on the roster and hit for average most of the year getting rid of him would be dumb. Happ should be traded, Schwarber as well if we could get decent value but no point in trading dumb for 1 year rentals.

-Finding an elite closer is easier said than done. Most franchises develop them internally and don't let them go until they are old and very expensive. I agree trade is the best route but I don't see a team taking our spare parts for a dominate closer for more than a 1 year rental. We can't keep giving up **** for band-aids.

-I agree with the last two

I am a die hard just like you but you need to calm down a bit. We are in the midst of the best stretch of Cubs baseball in my lifetime and possible ever. A lot of our guys are just hitting their primes. Tweaks need to be made and guys need to step up but we don't need to be this drastic. It is not as though Theo and Madden don't see these issues and aren't trying to fix them. It is not as though there are these magical deals out there that Theo is ignoring. The window isn't closing, I don't know why you are so anxious.

Who needs to calm down here? You say to calm down and then say "sign Harper, move Jason Heyward, bench Bote, trade Happ, trade Schawrber, trade for an elite close". LOL

MAYBE one of those happens, maybe.

This team won 95 games until they **** the bed the last 2 weeks of the season - especially the last. Find a new hitting coach that can get more consistency out of the current roster and we'll be fine.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't see any wholesale changes (except for hitting coach) that are necessary. Make some nice additions and away we go.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Important things to take away from today, folks

Theo said FO is going to be looking at production and not talent. He mentioned guys that play well when they're 22 and 23 shouldn't be getting worse as they get older, but they are. Bleacher Nation believes this is will lead to a few roster changes this year (Happ, Schwarber?)

Theo also said we will not see seasons like we just saw from Bryant or Contreras again.

Last thing to note - he really emphasized how this team lacked a sense of urgency, and I absolutely buy into this. Baez, Rizzo, and Contreras are about the only three that have any sort of reaction when something positive happens. Everyone else just sort of expects it and takes the teams talent for granted.