MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Dayton Moore is a weird dude. They believe they will be competitive next season and back in the playoffs in two seasons. There is zero chance he trades Whit.

o_O

That roster is awful. Maybe he thinks they can get second in that God forsaken division and grab a wildcard?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm not personally big on firing Davis; not that he’s necessarily doing a great job (I have no idea), but I’m not sure he’s the problem. We watched the same movie last season with this offense, too. I think this roster just is what it is.

I do think it's time to move Schwarber for pitching. I like him, overall, but he's got too much value (especially to an AL team) and isn't going to be more than a platoon guy for the Cubs. I think that's true of Happ to a lesser degree, as well. And Russell better be gone. I'm done with him.

Obviously, sign Harper/Machado is the top priority. But I'm not big on re-upping with Murphy. He wasn't all that great after his first week or two, either, and he's a huge defensive liability. I actually kind of like the idea of pursing LeMahieu. He's a contact-oriented hitter who will take some walks, and his contact is high quality. His soft contact rate is consistently at 16% or less and his hard contact rate is consistently 30% or better. He also sprays the ball to all fields, which is huge for this team; they don’t need to try to turn him into an all-around hitter (square pegs/round holes issue). That’s just who he already is. Oh, and he plays Gold Glove defense at second base, solving the one baseball issue presented by moving Russell.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm not personally big on firing Davis; not that he’s necessarily doing a great job (I have no idea), but I’m not sure he’s the problem. We watched the same movie last season with this offense, too. I think this roster just is what it is.

I do think it's time to move Schwarber for pitching. I like him, overall, but he's got too much value (especially to an AL team) and isn't going to be more than a platoon guy for the Cubs. I think that's true of Happ to a lesser degree, as well. And Russell better be gone. I'm done with him.

Obviously, sign Harper/Machado is the top priority. But I'm not big on re-upping with Murphy. He wasn't all that great after his first week or two, either, and he's a huge defensive liability. I actually kind of like the idea of pursing LeMahieu. He's a contact-oriented hitter who will take some walks, and his contact is high quality. His soft contact rate is consistently at 16% or less and his hard contact rate is consistently 30% or better. He also sprays the ball to all fields, which is huge for this team; they don’t need to try to turn him into an all-around hitter (square pegs/round holes issue). That’s just who he already is. Oh, and he plays Gold Glove defense at second base, solving the one baseball issue presented by moving Russell.

Davis has to go, the Red Sox had problems with a decrease in home run power last year which was one of the big reasons they let him go. That problem followed him to the Cubs. Outside of Baez, none of the other young players improved offensively this year. Happ struggled for long portions of this year, Almora and Contreras both had absolutely brutal second halves. Russell wasn't crushing the ball when he played. I'll give him a pass on Bryant because of his injuries.

I wouldn't be that quick too move on from Russell right now, this really selling low on a guy who was a top five prospect with a great glove and who has shown decent power in the near past. Let him take whatever suspension comes his way and hopefully put this behind him and then he can move on.

• Agree
Reactions: FerShizzle

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Davis has to go, the Red Sox had problems with a decrease in home run power last year which was one of the big reasons they let him go. That problem followed him to the Cubs. Outside of Baez, none of the other young players improved offensively this year. Happ struggled for long portions of this year, Almora and Contreras both had absolutely brutal second halves. Russell wasn't crushing the ball when he played. I'll give him a pass on Bryant because of his injuries.

I wouldn't be that quick too move on from Russell right now, this really selling low on a guy who was a top five prospect with a great glove and who has shown decent power in the near past. Let him take whatever suspension comes his way and hopefully put this behind him and then he can move on.

I don’t give a damn about Russell’s selling point. I don’t want him on the roster, and it has nothing to do with his on-field performance.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Big offseason coming up for the Cubs. My thoughts on what to do:

• Say goodbye to every coach. Pitchers did not perform to expectations. Hitters did not perform to expectations. You ******* kidding me with 40 games of 0 or 1 run with this roster, Chili Davis? On pace with the damn 150 loss Orioles? How many 2-0, 3-1 balls did we swing at tonight? Find a job at Walmart. And Maddon’s “oh haha” fun and games is great for rookies but we’re full of vets now. Did the same **** with the Rays and went down until they rebuilt again.

• Get Hamels for another year ($20 million)

• Sign Harper/Machado. Get a big hitter who will produce runs.

• The days of having your run producers lead off need to be over. Get a damn leadoff. In order of how I want it...
    • Convince KC youth is more valuable than 30 year old Whit Merrifield and trade a few prospects for him. KC will never be good AND have Whit. If not...

• Resign Danny Murphy
  • Glorified benchwarmers make mediocre starters. Happ, Russell, Schwarber, Almora, La Stella, and Bote. Keep 3, get rid of 4.
    • I’d like to keep Almora for late-game defensive purposes. Don't give a hoot who else stays and goes.

• The days of having 2-3 reliable bats and 3-4 let’s cross our fingers and hope we guessed the right platooners need to be done. We aren’t Tampa Bay or Kansas City. We can afford “above-mediocre.” We need 6-7 every day players, not 3-4.
  • Find an elite closer. Preferably using the 4 mediocre guys above.

• Fix Contreras. Dear God. Fix Contreras.
  • Get Chatwood in the bullpen.
    • No one is going to take his **** contract. His stuff is filthy. He isn’t good for more than a couple innings. His accuracy matches Edwards. If he can adjust to a reliever, he could be a dirty late game guy.
Our window isn’t going to be open long and this year, comparable to two years after Theo’s first WS, was a disappointment.

-I agree that Chilli Davis should be gone but firing every coach is an overreaction

-I like Hamels a lot but we can't sign him for that big of a deal and fill other holes

-I'd love to sign either one, harper more than machado, but it will all come down to the numbers. We'd have to get someone to take Heywards deal.

-La Stella and Bote aren't regular starters so not sure what your issue is with them. Russell should be gone. Almora is the only true CF we have on the roster and hit for average most of the year getting rid of him would be dumb. Happ should be traded, Schwarber as well if we could get decent value but no point in trading dumb for 1 year rentals.

-Finding an elite closer is easier said than done. Most franchises develop them internally and don't let them go until they are old and very expensive. I agree trade is the best route but I don't see a team taking our spare parts for a dominate closer for more than a 1 year rental. We can't keep giving up **** for band-aids.

-I agree with the last two

I am a die hard just like you but you need to calm down a bit. We are in the midst of the best stretch of Cubs baseball in my lifetime and possible ever. A lot of our guys are just hitting their primes. Tweaks need to be made and guys need to step up but we don't need to be this drastic. It is not as though Theo and Madden don't see these issues and aren't trying to fix them. It is not as though there are these magical deals out there that Theo is ignoring. The window isn't closing, I don't know why you are so anxious.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
- Maddon is hilariously awful with veteran teams

- Cubs are expected to go into luxury tax this offseason anyway, so they will be able to afford Hamels and Harper no problem.

- I don’t have any issue with La Stella or Bote other than they provide little. Bote started in the most important game of the year so I wouldn’t say he doesn’t play much. Get rid of him while his value is what it is.

- Almora is who I want to keep most

- Theo literally ignored a magical deal to get Christian Yelich

- I agree, a lot of guys are beginning to to be in their prime, which is why I’m freaking out with the **** performance of Contreras, Bryant, Russell, etc...all season

Murphy was unreal until he got here. Played well for a couple weeks then Chili got to him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hate to say but guys like Schwarber, Russell, Happ, and Bote could have been traded for more earlier than they can be now. I think 2 or 3 of those guys have to go at this point to make room to fill some holes in the everyday lineup. OF and 2B are about the only spots they can create room to bring in impact bats.

C: Contreras, Caratini - fine here, Wilson still is one of the best catchers in the game even with his inconsistency with the bat sometimes. I guess you could try to flip Caratini in a trade too and bring in a veteran backup
1B: Rizzo - he's not going anywhere
2B: Zobrist, Happ, La Stella, Murphy - everyone but Zobrist can go as far as I am concerned. Zo will be 38 next year and best use of him would be super utility guy off the bench at 2B and corner OF
SS: Javy, Russell - set with Javy, I'd be surprised if Russell is back next year with his current off field situation. He's stalled out with his development at the plate too
3B: Bryant, Bote - Bryant had a rough year, let's hope he can get the shoulder healthy and get back to that 30 HR 100 RBI hitter. Bote I would guess will be back as a bench player
OF: Heyward, Almora, Happ, Schwarber - No one is going to take Heyward's contract off the Cubs and I doubt he opts out of $22.5 mil for next season. Almora may have the most trade value of the group but I think you have to keep him to either start every day in CF or as the 4th OF. It's time to entertain trades for Schwarber and Happ. May as well go all in for Harper I think.

Starting Pitching: Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Darvish, Hamels - pick up Hamels option, for 1 year it's worth the gamble he can be a solid middle of the rotation guy. Barring a trade the other guys are all locked in with contracts so not much wiggle room to improve the rotation. I would not be shocked if the Cubs try to find a way to dump Chatwood even if they have to eat all of his contract to do it. He was not a good signing and is wasting a valuable roster spot. Also remember they have Drew Smyly that rehabbed this year that they will have to find a role for.

Bullpen: Montgomery probably goes back to his long relief 6th starter role, Morrow, Strop, Chisek, Duensing are under contract and Edwards, Rosario, and Mills are under team control. As bad as Duensing was they could just eat his $3.5 mil and release him. I'd like to see Chavez back and sounds like he wants to come back too. Bullpens always are a puzzle, too early to tell what they may do here but getting a closer or high leverage reliever is not out of the question. Could even see Strop and Morrow switch roles too possibly as Strop was an effective closer and always has been talked about as a possible closer in the past.

The window isn't going to be open much longer. Here is the Cubs payroll situation: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/contracts/chicago-cubs/ There are some key pieces still under team control for a couple more seasons but in a couple years you have some veterans nearing the end of their careers and guys like Baez, Bryant, and Hendricks due for big contracts that can hit the free agent market and there isn't much in the minors to get too excited about at the moment so the front office has some big decisions this offseason on what direction they go. I don't see how you keep this roster mostly intact and expect better results than the last 2 seasons. The pitching has been better than expected I think but the offense has been terribly inconsistent and underachieving.

• Informative
Reactions: CubsClones1

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
This is a 95 win team that needs some changes for sure, but not a complete overhaul.

Rotation - Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Davrish, Montgomery/Smyly... don't pick up the Hamels option, use that money elsewhere. Rotation is pretty solid and has options, plus hopefully Alzolay healthy and coming soon

Bullpen - Morrow, Strop, Cishek, Edwards, Rosario, whichever of Montgomery/Smyly doesn't make the rotation for sure in IMO. Add a big name from outside (Britton, Miller, Herrera, Kimbrel, etc. available in FA) and then cap it with either bringing Chavez back on the cheap if possible. IF you get one of those big FA arms (or trade for one is suppose) that bullpen would be strong.

Infield - Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Zobrist are locks of course. Biggest boost here will be a healthy Bryant, it's obvious that ever since the shoulder injury he wasn't himself. I'm out on bringing Murphy back. I would dump Russell in a heartbeat, no place for him on this team if it were me. I would pursue a shortstop in FA/trade here. I like a guy like Jose Iglesias. Slick glove at SS, not much bat, but if Russell is out you need someone to cover short and give Joe the flexibility to play Javy/Zo at 2B and Javy/other (iglesias in my scenario) at SS. Round it off with Bote on the bench. I don't know if La Stella has a fit moving forward even though I love his pinch hitting.

Outfield - Schwarber, Almora, Happ, Heyward... question is, can you go get Harper? If you can land that big fish then he's obviously and everyday guy in LF/RF and then Joe can rotate the other 4 based on match-ups as well as the flexibility of Zo/Bryant able to play the corners.

Catcher - nothing to do here expect sign a vet to minor league deals as the 3rd catcher. Contreras and Caratini will hold this spot down. Need Contreras to get back to his usual form.

So no major changes IMO... need some additions thought. If I have my pick we land Harper and then add a guy like Iglesias and a bullpen arm (I would prefer Britton if the price is right).

In that scenario you have the below roster which would still be favorites to win the NLCS and World Series contenders

SP: Lester
SP: Hendricks
SP: Quintana
SP: Darvish
SP: Smyly

RP: Rosario
RP: Montgomery
RP: Britton
RP: Strop
RP: Edwards
RP: Cishek
CL: Morrow

C: Contreras
1B: Rizzo
2B: Zobrist
SS: Baez
3B: Bryant
LF: Schwarber
CF: Almora
RF: Harper

BN: Bote
BN: Heyward
BN: Iglesias
BN: Caratini
BN: Happ

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
- Maddon is hilariously awful with veteran teams

- Cubs are expected to go into luxury tax this offseason anyway, so they will be able to afford Hamels and Harper no problem.

- I don’t have any issue with La Stella or Bote other than they provide little. Bote started in the most important game of the year so I wouldn’t say he doesn’t play much. Get rid of him while his value is what it is.

- Almora is who I want to keep most

- Theo literally ignored a magical deal to get Christian Yelich

- I agree, a lot of guys are beginning to to be in their prime, which is why I’m freaking out with the **** performance of Contreras, Bryant, Russell, etc...all season

Murphy was unreal until he got here. Played well for a couple weeks then Chili got to him.

-Who are you going to hire to replace madden who is better?

-You are right on the luxury tax part but I still doubt they'd sign Hamels to that number with other holes to fill

-The point is LaStella and Bote are bench guys. You need guys like that whom are willing to take lesser rolls. And Bote started purely out of a situational play for the match up, one game does not mean that he is a significant piece. Huge overreaction

-I am sorry but maybe I don't know, do you work in the front office? Everything I saw was rumors.

-You need to walk back from the ledge a bit man. These things happen to good teams all across the league. Welcome to rooting for a successful team. So what you are freaking out because we had a bad second half and still technically tied for the best record in the NL and made the playoffs? Maybe I just haven't forgotten the bad times already like you. Yes last night was frustrating but the future is still very bright and blowing **** up is a reactionary move and not a rational decision.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
At this point, I'm all for getting Harper and moving on from Heyward.
He did some great things, his defense is fantastic, but it's really tough to justify someone if they're now known as the worst hitter in postseason history. He had a nice hitting stretch this season, but it doesn't look like that's a new normal.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
As long as the Cubs have Rizzo, Bryant, and Javy in the infield they will remain playoff contenders. We need to rebuild the farm system on the fly and make some better FA signings no doubt but to act like everything is going to fall apart with that trio in our line up is ridiculous. The window is not closing and now is not the time to make emotional decisions and trade everything out of desperation.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Do the Cubs have a long shot prospect or maybe a bag of bats and balls to trade to Yankees for Sonny Gray? Guy was good with the A's but has blown chunks under the pressure in NY. Yankee fans all hate him and will burn down the Stadium if he is back next spring. Might be a decent middle of the order pitcher yet with a change of leagues. Arbitration year 2019 and under contract till 2020. Considering his year, arbitration isn't going to be kind to him so he will be cheeeeeeap, was at $6.5M this season.

I'd offer him to the Twins but think they are likely to stingy to give up the bag of bats and balls. Too bad, he'd probably thrive again in that small market no pressure setting and in that pitchers park at Target.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Biggest beef is we just have a ton of guys who's role on a playoff team will never be more than being a glorified bench player.

Get rid of these guys. Let them be stars in a small market. Can you imagine the impact Schwarber would have for the Royals/Rays/Twins? The name alone would give them excitement.

Rockies proved tonight you don't need glorified bench players, you need a 5, 6, 7 stars and a few guys on your bench to help out later.

Tony ******* Wolter won the game for them. Meanwhile, I believe our entire bench went hitless.

But hey, Happ has a good approach, Schwarber has power, etc...gets old.

This is exactly the problem I'm having. Decide who you want to make a commitment to, and shop everyone else for bullpen arms. What good does it do to have the combination of Happ, Schwarber, Almora, Bote, Heyward and Zo platooning and spending a 1/3rd of the year on the bench, all while some of them have trade potential that could help give us something beyond an absolute piecemeal bullpen? The amount of talent that we waste, and frankly that regresses due to lack of ABs, is just silly.

There's just been alot of regression on this team. After the glow of the 2016 WS, you sat down and looked at the future with guys like KB, Rizzo, Wilson, Javy, Russell, Schwarber and Almora and you had to think we had a future juggernaut. But all of those guys, except Javy, have regressed. No one is getting any better. I'm not sure where that leads you, but it's pretty undeniable.

If you're asking me, go big for Machado and Harper. Machado would be my first choice, with the obvious infield need with Russell and Murphy likely gone. Pick up Hammels option. Trade some combination of Schwarber, Happ, Almora for quality bullpen arms.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Im good seeing if we can sign Murphy to a 1 year deal and seeing what he can do. Seems the guy has some amazing numbers at Wrigley.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
This is a 95 win team that needs some changes for sure, but not a complete overhaul.

Rotation - Lester, Hendricks, Quintana, Davrish, Montgomery/Smyly... don't pick up the Hamels option, use that money elsewhere. Rotation is pretty solid and has options, plus hopefully Alzolay healthy and coming soon

Bullpen - Morrow, Strop, Cishek, Edwards, Rosario, whichever of Montgomery/Smyly doesn't make the rotation for sure in IMO. Add a big name from outside (Britton, Miller, Herrera, Kimbrel, etc. available in FA) and then cap it with either bringing Chavez back on the cheap if possible. IF you get one of those big FA arms (or trade for one is suppose) that bullpen would be strong.

Infield - Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Zobrist are locks of course. Biggest boost here will be a healthy Bryant, it's obvious that ever since the shoulder injury he wasn't himself. I'm out on bringing Murphy back. I would dump Russell in a heartbeat, no place for him on this team if it were me. I would pursue a shortstop in FA/trade here. I like a guy like Jose Iglesias. Slick glove at SS, not much bat, but if Russell is out you need someone to cover short and give Joe the flexibility to play Javy/Zo at 2B and Javy/other (iglesias in my scenario) at SS. Round it off with Bote on the bench. I don't know if La Stella has a fit moving forward even though I love his pinch hitting.

Outfield - Schwarber, Almora, Happ, Heyward... question is, can you go get Harper? If you can land that big fish then he's obviously and everyday guy in LF/RF and then Joe can rotate the other 4 based on match-ups as well as the flexibility of Zo/Bryant able to play the corners.

Catcher - nothing to do here expect sign a vet to minor league deals as the 3rd catcher. Contreras and Caratini will hold this spot down. Need Contreras to get back to his usual form.

So no major changes IMO... need some additions thought. If I have my pick we land Harper and then add a guy like Iglesias and a bullpen arm (I would prefer Britton if the price is right).

In that scenario you have the below roster which would still be favorites to win the NLCS and World Series contenders

SP: Lester
SP: Hendricks
SP: Quintana
SP: Darvish
SP: Smyly

RP: Rosario
RP: Montgomery
RP: Britton
RP: Strop
RP: Edwards
RP: Cishek
CL: Morrow

C: Contreras
1B: Rizzo
2B: Zobrist
SS: Baez
3B: Bryant
LF: Schwarber
CF: Almora
RF: Harper

BN: Bote
BN: Heyward
BN: Iglesias
BN: Caratini
BN: Happ

Your first sentence is spot on.

Rotation - Lester, Hendricks, Darvish, Quintana is a very solid core of guys. I forgot about Smyly.. that adds an interesting wrinkle because if he returns to form he's kind of like another Montgomery. I do think they will highly consider having the Rangers pay Hamels' 6 mil buyout and trying to sign him to a similar deal Lackey got. I understand your thinking to spend the money elsewhere though.

Bullpen - No question they pick up the Strop option. Theo essentially calling out Joe on Morrow usage was interesting. I'm sure his usage will be monitored more closely next year but some blame has to go on Theo for paying a guy $10 mil who can't pitch 3 days in a row. Hopefully he can stay healthy next year. They have plenty coming back for righties with Morrow, Strop, Cishek, Edwards. I can't stand Tyler Chatwood but I think they start off by giving him a chance in the pen and if it isn't working you move on. They need to make a splash on acquiring a lefty(s) though. Montgomery/Smyly aren't late game guys and Rosario though promising going forward isn't someone to count on yet.

Position Players: I don't think anything is off the table for position players outside of Rizzo, Bryant, Baez. Bote is a nice bench piece but he was a below average hitter over 200+ plate appearances. Hopefully he progresses at the plate because I like Bryant in left/right and him at 3rd defensively. I've defended Schwarber a lot but I want to go all in on Bryce Harper which may result in moving Schwarber. Keep Almora. Consider moving Happ imo. Willy will rebound at the plate.

So I guess in summation my big changes are:
1. Lefties in the bullpen
2. Sign Harper. Schwarber traded? Happ?
3. Maybe resign Hamels after having the Rangers pay his buyout

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He did some great things, his defense is fantastic, but it's really tough to justify someone if they're now known as the worst hitter in postseason history. He had a nice hitting stretch this season, but it doesn't look like that's a new normal.

So tell me how do you play to move on from Heyward with this contract? https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/jason-heyward-7231/ He's not opting out of those last 5 years where he will make anywhere from $22.5-24.5 mil a season and no team in their right mind is going to take that contract off the Cubs hands let alone give them any decent prospects without the Cubs picking up a bulk of the tab on what is left. If he opted out this year do you think he gets anywhere north of $10 mil a year for more than 2-3 years tops? He's a gold glover but you pay guys $20+ mil a year to hit too, not to hit about 8-10 HR and 50-60 RBI that he's done in 3 seasons with the Cubs. Cubs are just stuck with him, the smart move is to move on from guys like Happ and Schwarber and bring in an every day LF who can hit. Happ and Schwarber are still young and team controllable and are going to net more in a trade than Heyward would.

For as smart as the Cubs have been in the front office with their drafts and trades they've made some real bad signings with big long term dollars too: Heyward, Darvish, Chatwood, and go back a bit but who remembers the disaster that was Edwin Jackson? Lester and Zobrist have been worth every penny but they've missed on a lot of guys too. This is why I say pick up Hamels option, it's just 1 year and he's a proven veteran pitcher that you can't get without committing long term years and dollars or giving up a lot in a trade to get. Seems like every year they have an injury in the rotation and have to scramble to fill that 5th spot with a capable pitcher. I'm fine having excess pitching, can always made a trade from the depth later if everyone stays healthy too.

But they do need to cut bait with some of the position depth players to either fill a need or create a spot to improve. The longer you platoon and hold onto guys like Happ and Schwarber the less they will bring back in a trade. Seems like 2B and corner OF is where you can add some offense to this roster without making a major overhaul to the core.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

How do you move from Heyward though? Who is taking the contract? You have to include other assets to move him and then not even get anything back.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How do you move from Heyward though? Who is taking the contract? You have to include other assets to move him and then not even get anything back.

I dont know numbers well, but can you keep him on the roster and mover him into a bench role/late inning defensive replacement, and still get Harper?