MLB: ***Official Cubs 2018-19 Offseason Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think the one thing that frustrated me the most was yesterdays news that the Cubs were looking for another versatile infielder. A part of me fears that even though he's a lame duck, the FO is willing to take part in this "platoon everybody" ********. We have zero outfielders that we can say with confidence they're starting every day barring a rest. If we start implementing that in our infield we're in trouble.

IMO, 4 consistent starters (Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras) and a bunch of platooners is not the way to go.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Has anybody heard any rumblings of any trades we might make? I've been waiting to see Happ or Schwarber dealt, but haven't seen as rumors regarding that..

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm starting to think they just didn't want to buyout Joe. They'll let him go with the current roster and then give David Ross a better roster the year after. I'm not sure if I agree with this move but that is certainly the feeling I get.

The relationship between Joe and TheoJed is obviously broken.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Has anybody heard any rumblings of any trades we might make? I've been waiting to see Happ or Schwarber dealt, but haven't seen as rumors regarding that..

I think the plan is sit and watch what happens

We have no hitting threats in the outfield and currently no second basemen so it may lead to a pretty underwhelming prime of our window

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Unless they are being very stealth seems like it will be a slow/quiet off-season this year.

Makes you wonder if ownership told Theo the checkbook isn't as nearly open this year as in years past?

Last edited:

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
I'm coming up with three reasons for why the Cubs aren't spending any substantial money this offseason:
1. Bad signings last offseason that were also expensive
2. Ownership doesn't want to exceed the luxury tax
3. Saving money for extensions for guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez
Theo has been put in a straining position and I feel like he needs to respond and be proactive since the Cardinals were able to get Goldy and might get Harper

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
its been a slow moving offseason so far, hoping Theo has something on the back burners waiting for asking prices to come down some either with a trade or free agent. Just have a bad feeling the Cubs are going to stick with the status quo and just fill in the rest of the roster with cheap players hoping one of them turns out to be better than hoped for. The Darvish and Chatwood deals killed the payroll, Darvish hopefully is healthy and returns to form but I have a feeling Chatwood could be cut if he stinks it up in spring training. The whole coaching staff situation right now too just stinks and looks like the makings of a lame duck season where everyone is just going to let it play out and probably say their goodbyes next year.

Frustrating because the window to go for it all is right now while you still have some young controllable talent that eventually is going to become very expensive to keep or possibly let walk.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm starting to think they just didn't want to buyout Joe. They'll let him go with the current roster and then give David Ross a better roster the year after. I'm not sure if I agree with this move but that is certainly the feeling I get.

The relationship between Joe and TheoJed is obviously broken.

Pissing away this young core of talent they harvested. Thank God we won in 2016.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I think the one thing that frustrated me the most was yesterdays news that the Cubs were looking for another versatile infielder. A part of me fears that even though he's a lame duck, the FO is willing to take part in this "platoon everybody" ********. We have zero outfielders that we can say with confidence they're starting every day barring a rest. If we start implementing that in our infield we're in trouble.

IMO, 4 consistent starters (Baez, Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras) and a bunch of platooners is not the way to go.

Former Cub DJ LeMahieu is a Free agent. Figured maybe he would find his way back to you guys.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Former Cub DJ LeMahieu is a Free agent. Figured maybe he would find his way back to you guys.

I think a lot of Cubs fans would be fine with signing him. Probably waiting to see what the market for him will be. 2B is a spot they can fill with an everyday player because Zobrist and Happ are mostly utility platoon guys.

Been seeing that the Cubs think they need a good veteran presence on the roster. I know he's getting old and would be nothing more than a bench OF but how about Curtis Granderson on a cheap 1 year deal? I don't really think carrying 3 catchers is a good idea so going to have to be creative and find a bench position player that fits that role.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think a lot of Cubs fans would be fine with signing him. Probably waiting to see what the market for him will be. 2B is a spot they can fill with an everyday player because Zobrist and Happ are mostly utility platoon guys.

Been seeing that the Cubs think they need a good veteran presence on the roster. I know he's getting old and would be nothing more than a bench OF but how about Curtis Granderson on a cheap 1 year deal? I don't really think carrying 3 catchers is a good idea so going to have to be creative and find a bench position player that fits that role.
Esp when none of those catchers are plus hitters

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
A little worried about what’s happened so far this offseason, especially with the most recent Dodgers trade, in which they just cleared a ton of money.

Its frustrating that 2018 was a year in which, personally, I think we are 1 consistent OBP player and 1 run producer away from winning the World Series. Both, in my opinion, easily attainable, whether via trading our 7-8 glorified young bench players or via free agency. And while the Mariners/Diamondbacks were selling off, we watched.

Now, I’m not saying Harper is the answer, but the team needs to do something now that it looks like the Reds and Cardinals are wanting to tango.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked