****Official Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread****

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Okay people, you cannot use the initials TH to describe a player. We have Tyrese Haliburton and Tyler Harris, not to mention Talen Horton-Tucker.
If Teri Hatcher had gone to graduate school at ISU, her time there would have overlapped with mine. I'm sure a 23-24 year-old Teri Hatcher would've been interested in me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Didn't want to bump the THT thread because people would freak out but Top 150 Tim Finke who is from Champaign and was pretty much penciled in as an Illinois commit just committed to Grand Canyon University

Is that Mike Finke's brother? Ouch

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yep, that one has to hurt
I loved the Illinois people ripping GCU as a terrible program that has no business being in on a kid that has high major offers, especially one that they thought was for sure theirs. Then once he makes his decision they can't believe an 18 year old would ever think of going to a for-profit college and the "he didn't fit into BU's system anyways" started coming out. Lol.

Not saying GCU is a power, but they are steadily evolving into a serious athletics player in the WAC. Doubling their money put towards the athletics departments each of the last 2 years. And I'd be very surprised if they don't make they tourney this year.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I loved the Illinois people ripping GCU as a terrible program that has no business being in on a kid that has high major offers, especially one that they thought was for sure theirs. Then once he makes his decision they can't believe an 18 year old would ever think of going to a for-profit college and the "he didn't fit into BU's system anyways" started coming out. Lol.

Not saying GCU is a power, but they are steadily evolving into a serious athletics player in the WAC. Doubling their money put towards the athletics departments each of the last 2 years. And I'd be very surprised if they don't make they tourney this year.
I know a chick that played beach volleyball at GCU. Cool story, I know.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Oh I would love to have the kid, I just don't see anyone leaving this year. I think there was probably only one candidate to leave and he is going to get plenty of playing time this year. A surprise could happen, but right now I don't see a roster spot being available.
I’m more convinced now than before we need an opening to happen as we need help. This is P5 basketball and openings happen when you need upgrades. Guys may play this year when we are bad and have 7 or 8 available, but it’s clear he will get the handshake.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

Crazy atmosphere at the games too. Better than a lot of P5 schools.

Reactions: srjclone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Didn't know where to put this. But KU just finished off a monster early signing period by getting 5 star Quentin Grimes. They obviously have the best class in the Big 12 but ISU I would say is easily 3rd with Texas 2nd.

Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Didn't know where to put this. But KU just finished off a monster early signing period by getting 5 star Quentin Grimes. They obviously have the best class in the Big 12 but ISU I would say is easily 3rd with Texas 2nd.

FWIW - Yesterday, before Grimes committed, Rivals listed ISU as having the second best class in the B12.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...reaking-down-the-early-signings-in-the-big-12

REPORT CARD
Baylor: B-. Matthew Mayer should develop into an impact player in Waco after some time in the weight room.
Iowa State: A-. The Cyclones added four quality pieces, headlined by two four-star Illinois natives in Talen Horton-Tucker and Zion Griffin.
Kansas: A+. The top class in the Big 12 features a pair of five-star prospects in Devon Dotson and Silvio De Sousa.
Kansas State: C+. Coach Bruce Weber secured a capable point guard in three-star floor general Shaun Williams.
Oklahoma: C+. The Sooners added a quality wing scorer in Rivals150 guard Jamal Bieniemy, and are still in the mix for other top prospects such as Khavon Moore.
Oklahoma State: C+. A pair of three-star forwards comprise the Cowboys class after four-star wing Antwann Jones backed out.
TCU: B+. Coach Jamie Dixon continues to accumulate talent in Fort Worth with a pair of four-star prospects in small forward Kaden Archie and point guard Kendric Davis.
Texas: B+. It’s a forward-heavy class headed to Austin next year to play for Shaka Smart. Rivals150 forward Jaxson Hayes could be one of the biggest sleepers in the class.
Texas Tech: B. Coach Chris Beard added some perimeter firepower in Kyler Edwards and JUCO wing Deshawn Corprew.
West Virginia: B. Coach Bob Huggins' class is a solid one. Rivals150 point guard Jordan McCabe will be a fan favorite for his flashy play and four-star forward Derek Culver has loads of athletic ability and will benefit from a year in prep school after initially signing with the 2017 class.

THT and ZG got their biggest surprise award too.
"Many wondered when Steve Prohm took the job at Iowa State if he would be able to continue bringing in the quality of players that allowed Fred Hoiberg to have so much success in his short stint in Ames. If the past two recruiting classes are any indication, he’ll be just fine. He went head-to-head with some of the top programs in the country to secure Zion Griffin and Talen Horton-Tucker this year."

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
FWIW - Yesterday, before Grimes committed, Rivals listed ISU as having the second best class in the B12.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...reaking-down-the-early-signings-in-the-big-12

REPORT CARD
Baylor: B-. Matthew Mayer should develop into an impact player in Waco after some time in the weight room.
Iowa State: A-. The Cyclones added four quality pieces, headlined by two four-star Illinois natives in Talen Horton-Tucker and Zion Griffin.
Kansas: A+. The top class in the Big 12 features a pair of five-star prospects in Devon Dotson and Silvio De Sousa.
Kansas State: C+. Coach Bruce Weber secured a capable point guard in three-star floor general Shaun Williams.
Oklahoma: C+. The Sooners added a quality wing scorer in Rivals150 guard Jamal Bieniemy, and are still in the mix for other top prospects such as Khavon Moore.
Oklahoma State: C+. A pair of three-star forwards comprise the Cowboys class after four-star wing Antwann Jones backed out.
TCU: B+. Coach Jamie Dixon continues to accumulate talent in Fort Worth with a pair of four-star prospects in small forward Kaden Archie and point guard Kendric Davis.
Texas: B+. It’s a forward-heavy class headed to Austin next year to play for Shaka Smart. Rivals150 forward Jaxson Hayes could be one of the biggest sleepers in the class.
Texas Tech: B. Coach Chris Beard added some perimeter firepower in Kyler Edwards and JUCO wing Deshawn Corprew.
West Virginia: B. Coach Bob Huggins' class is a solid one. Rivals150 point guard Jordan McCabe will be a fan favorite for his flashy play and four-star forward Derek Culver has loads of athletic ability and will benefit from a year in prep school after initially signing with the 2017 class.

THT and ZG got their biggest surprise award too.
"Many wondered when Steve Prohm took the job at Iowa State if he would be able to continue bringing in the quality of players that allowed Fred Hoiberg to have so much success in his short stint in Ames. If the past two recruiting classes are any indication, he’ll be just fine. He went head-to-head with some of the top programs in the country to secure Zion Griffin and Talen Horton-Tucker this year."

I saw those too. But those are just the grades. The team rankings show Texas 12th in the country and ISU 21st.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
I would have no qualms with signing Tyler Harris in the spring if a spot opens up. However, given the level of play seen over 2 games so far, I'd hope we go for a graduate transfer who can step in and immediately make us a better team. Much can change over the course of this season so we'll see.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I would have no qualms with signing Tyler Harris in the spring if a spot opens up. However, given the level of play seen over 2 games so far, I'd hope we go for a graduate transfer who can step in and immediately make us a better team. Much can change over the course of this season so we'll see.
We have that in Shayock. He will likely be our best player next year.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I could see that but in reality there are only going to be a handful of immediately eligible transfers that would be available. Even then ISU would have to compete against other programs to get their commitment. I also think Tyler is good enough to play some minutes (10ish) right away especially ball handling and shooting the 3.

Honestly next years team is pretty set at the starters baring something unforeseen. Wigginton, Shayok, NWB/Lewis, Young, Lard. not to mention the freshman and other returning players. I am not sure a grad transfer is going getting the minutes/exposure they usually look for when choosing a school.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I could see that but in reality there are only going to be a handful of immediately eligible transfers that would be available. Even then ISU would have to compete against other programs to get their commitment. I also think Tyler is good enough to play some minutes (10ish) right away especially ball handling and shooting the 3.

Honestly next years team is pretty set at the starters baring something unforeseen. Wigginton, Shayok, NWB/Lewis, Young, Lard. not to mention the freshman and other returning players. I am not sure a grad transfer is going getting the minutes/exposure they usually look for when choosing a school.

if we continue to be as bad as we are now, plenty of minutes will be available...

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006

I don't completely agree. Yes on Wiggington and Shayok. I don't see Lewis jumping ahead of NWB. And I believe Jacobson will definitely start on the frontline. The 4 spot will be up for grabs...Solo, Talley, Lard? Griffin pretty unlikely to start, but I'm sure he'll be given opportunity.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I'm well aware :) I just don't think his offense alone will single-handily elevate us to a tournament team. Lots of basketball and recruiting to go until next season though. We'll see.
Agree, but you have to remember Prohm doesn’t recruit transfers well, particularly grad transfers

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman